Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:33 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's welfare for defense contractors. Sure, they produce crap, but it's largely exactly as useful as if they'd done nothing at all, only more expensive.

That's not all programs, of course. It's things like buying more and more weapons and equipment that the military doesn't want or need, so it can be stuffed into warehouses. It accomplishes literally nothing other than keeping some people employed and enriching defense contractors.
Okay. Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Im a US military veteran. I did two tours to the middle east during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.

I was well trained in my job, the C130 I flew on was well maintained, my M-16 worked just fine, and my chem gear was well maintained and ready to go.

As someone who has actually served (I got out in 2006), I can verify that all equipment was always in great shape and I was always trained on all things that involved doing my job and would help keep me alive.

So I'm not sure how $54B in training and maintenance would he necessary.
thank you for your service, we often times dont tell our military people how much we appreciate them and their sacrifices.

as to your question, the cost of maintaining, training, and supporting the military do not stay static. lets say it cost $500,000 per year to maintain the C130 when you were in the military in the 90s. do you really think that maintaining that C130 today would still be $500,000 per year? no today its more like $700,000 per year. by the way these number are just for the sake of argument, and NOT actual numbers.

so it costs more to maintain equipment today than when you were in, so there should be an increase in the budget as a result. also it costs money to replace the bombs missiles and bullets that are used, even in training, and the cost of those things go up each year. a 5.56 round that cost perhaps five cents when you were in, probably now costs more like eight cents. these dont sound like much, but multiply that with the number of rounds the military buys each year, and you can see the costs add up quickly.

and dont forget, we cant go on paying the military personal the same we paid them in the 90s can we? and of course they need things, simple stuff like food, clothing, housing, etc.

one more thing to consider, even though we have the best trained people, the best equipment, etc. if we dont keep the people happy, they leave the military. and that means training new people to take their place. and as you know from your service, the training is intense, especially for the marines and special forces. and the training doesnt stop at the end of boot camp either, as you well know. depending on your MOS, you have schooling to go to, in addition to your infantry training that you need to also take in. and all this constant training, which make you the best, costs a lot of money.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's welfare for defense contractors. Sure, they produce crap, but it's largely exactly as useful as if they'd done nothing at all, only more expensive.

That's not all programs, of course. It's things like buying more and more weapons and equipment that the military doesn't want or need, so it can be stuffed into warehouses. It accomplishes literally nothing other than keeping some people employed and enriching defense contractors.
i agree with you to a point. yes there are weapon system the military buys that they dont need, and perhaps we do spend too much on the newest technology. but then remember that we do in fact send our people into harms way, and as such i think they should have the best equipment and the best training so they have the best chance to survive any conflict we send them into. as such as have reduced casualties over the decades substantially. so recognizing the fact that we are going to send our people into combat, shouldnt they have the best to get the best chance to survive? or would you rather spend less and let more die?

personally i would prefer that mankind never have wars ever again. it would be nice to end all military spending, get rid of all weapons, AKA turning swords into plowshares. but until mankind comes to the realization that need to happen, war is unfortunately inevitable.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with you to a point. yes there are weapon system the military buys that they dont need, and perhaps we do spend too much on the newest technology. but then remember that we do in fact send our people into harms way, and as such i think they should have the best equipment and the best training so they have the best chance to survive any conflict we send them into. as such as have reduced casualties over the decades substantially. so recognizing the fact that we are going to send our people into combat, shouldnt they have the best to get the best chance to survive? or would you rather spend less and let more die?

personally i would prefer that mankind never have wars ever again. it would be nice to end all military spending, get rid of all weapons, AKA turning swords into plowshares. but until mankind comes to the realization that need to happen, war is unfortunately inevitable.
Very True. I feel the same way.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" The GOP builds up the military mostly to protect the elite class"

This post
Its the biggest joke around!
How so?

You need to support your claims or don't make them.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Your intelligence level is reflected in your choice of words. Think about that to begin with.

Next, you are totally wrong. You appear to know zero about who joins the military or the reasons why. The population of the military and the reasons they join are as diverse as the population of our country.

Myself and my husband are veterans and my son is career military. My husband's mother, my father, my uncles, my husband's uncles were all veterans.

The military is crucial to our country. I take it you didn't learn about American or World History in high school, so I see that we need education reform desperately.

Your tone is insulting to members of the military and shows your obvious ignorance when it comes to the purpose of the military. Get a couple history books and turn off CNN!
Just because you and some people you know joined the military for a certain reason.. that doesn't mean the military isn't mostly made up of poor rural youth.

The military is a jobs program to protect the elite and to keep young males out of trouble so they don't start domestic problems. It is also population control to a certain extent.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
How is that any different than conservatives who like the Affordable Care Act yet hate Obamacare? (Hint, it's the same exact thing)
One is a lie and one is not.

The idea that people do not know that the ACA and Obamacare is the same is totally made up crap to demean people.

It's a fact that the left was anti military build up under Bush, completely quiet when Obama did it and are now once again anti build up under Trump.

I say this not as someone that supports either Bush or Trump but I do NOT support this under any president.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
huh? At least they are not internet fatties who are the real angry jealous people.
Do you not realize you are on the Internet right now?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:32 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
where was everyone when obama was militarizing local police depts. and FEMA? hello?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Do you not realize you are on the Internet right now?
Yes I do. and? If you are not a jealous and angry internet fatty, then don't worry about my post. It is nothing personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies