Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 AM

89,366 posts, read 45,091,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I do know more than anyone. People live unhealthy lives and then ask responsible people to pay for their "preexisting" condition.
Bingo! There needs to be penalties and higher costs for those living unhealthy lifestyles. Statistically, their medical care costs more. Prime examples: smokers and the obese.

Can't afford to pay more? Go without, or get healthy and fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
after my sis got her hubby's bill of being airlifted sent to the ER- OR and Critical care and unfortunately died --she did not b-- anymore about her Obamacare- his bill for a week- was over $100K, the medivac was $34K alone-
she shut her trap...she is ms. healthy- do not eat salt or sugar etc etc- republican etc etc
That's what catastrophic insurance is for, and when it doesn't have to cover every little thing or self-induced health problems (smokers, the obese, etc.), it's MUCH less expensive.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
that's how you feel about sharing, hmm I see--
It's only sharing when EVERYONE shares the costs. Come up with a plan that makes that so, and people might consider it.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,547,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This new proposal gives people that freedom of choice. They can self-insure for usually needed health care, and buy a MUCH less expensive catastrophic policy.
How do you know whether the new catastrophic policies will be MUCH less expensive? That would be nice though, but I am not holding my breath.

I'd be ok with a $25,000-$40,000 deductible as long as we could get the "pre-negotiated rate" before the deductible kicks in and if the premium was low enough. I wonder if the deductibles would go that high.

Pre-negotiated rate usually gives a discount of ~75%. For example, for x-rays that charged $575 originally, the pre-negotiated rate might be $137. You pay $137 if an in-network provider was used. You give the insurance card to the provider and then wait until the insurance processeses the claim. At that point the provider modifies the bill to $137.

Last edited by sware2cod; 03-07-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Insurance needs a pool of low risk customers. Health insurance needs healthy people paying in to it, car insurance needs good drivers paying in to it, life insurance needs healthy & younger people paying in to it. That's how insurance works and how it can payout more than YOU put into it.
Those policies are also priced according to risk. Make health insurance like that.

Smokers? The obese? The non-fit? They pay significantly higher premiums and deductibles, as it should be.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:49 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,658,824 times
Quote:
Those policies are also priced according to risk. Make health insurance like that.

Smokers? The obese? The non-fit? They pay significantly higher premiums and deductibles, as it should be.
Yea. Like the red states that produce tobacco are gonna go for that.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 AM

15,888 posts, read 21,507,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
AND..... not everyone needs health insurance either!

What people do need is responsible behavior and good health habits.
Sarcasm, right?

I got cancer out of the clear blue sky at 23. Already stage IV. No family history. When I asked my oncologist what I could have done to prevent it, he told me to have been born into a different body.

How dare I lack the responsible behavior and good habits of not shapeshifting! Geeze. What a waste of $500,000 to save my life due to my lack of personal responsibility.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,128,587 times
Quote:
that's how you feel about sharing, hmm I see--
Sharing is not sharing if it's not voluntary.

Compulsory sharing is theft.

If I forcibly take your money, I'm still robbing you if I only take half of it.

The fact that I may be doing it for the "public good" changes nothing

35,795 posts, read 21,176,970 times
Quote:
It's only sharing when EVERYONE shares the costs. Come up with a plan that makes that so, and people might consider it.
agreed everyone should pay- and get insurance Cos. pharma etc. capped! We will always be the horse chasing the carrot with them free to charge whatever they want-
it is not about YOU>>> it's about getting richer-- and that is killing us all.
people REFUSE to look at corps.
this capitalism train with no brakes is going to inundate us to where we will never recover- and the brakes have been completely taken off---(regs) what are you expecting people?? really

31,341 posts, read 14,364,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sarcasm, right?

I got cancer out of the clear blue sky at 23. Already stage IV. No family history. When I asked my oncologist what I could have done to prevent it, he told me to have been born into a different body.

How dare I lack the responsible behavior and good habits of not shapeshifting! Geeze. What a waste of $500,000 to save my life due to my lack of personal responsibility.
You are the exception rather than the rule, and you should have full coverage.

It's the 85 year old who we are covering for the exact same issue, that I have trouble with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies