Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM

1,431 posts, read 912,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBUCKS View Post
Not doing something about ISIS is as bad as not bombing Auschwitz or standing by doing nothing during the awful machete genocide in Rwanda! Never again!
So...are you gonna go to Syria and participate? Or cheer people like me on as we go over unwillingly because we've been trying to fix Iraq since 2006 with very little progress?

And yes I said Iraq because Rabiyah is right there on the border, and the Syrians would bring a ton of stuff over by train to help the insurgents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
In that case, you should know that rule number one in war is that people die or get maimed including family and friends.

ISIS people are like roaches. You can contain them for a while but they always come back.

How long have we been in Iraq now? Since 2003? And I don't believe for a minute that we left completely in 2011.

....and we're still fighting them....

Guess we didn't learn anything from the crusades.
ISIS is just AQI rebranded with a different name. Yes, they're like roaches.

Yes, since 2003. But things weren't too bad until Saddam was executed (2006) which happened when I first touched down.

We never completely withdrew from either OIF or OEF; I was actually in country when the Obama Administration made that false claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Didn't I say that I have mixed feelings about this?

I only said "I know ISIS needs to be destroyed."

Please don't lecture me, Thank you. I doubt you have any solutions yourself.
Indeed, you did state that you had mixed feelings. I don't know how to destroy ISIS besides containing them to their region of the world. But idiots want open borders, so here we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Curious... Before the inauguration, one of the things Trump supporters here talked a lot about was their hope that Trump would reduce the US's involvement in global conflicts so we could focus our attention and resourc s domestically. How does this fit with that goal?
I'm curious, too. We definitely shouldn't really be the main effort involved, but we shouldn't simply do nothing either. It's a delicate situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I like president Trump, but we should stay OUT of other countries problems. Let them take care of it- none of our business.
I agree, but then what needs to happen is that we employ strict immigration policies in order to reduce the number of potential infiltrators that can enter the US. Problem is that we have a very shaky screening process at best.

Last edited by veezybell; 03-09-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,116 times
Curious... Before the inauguration, one of the things Trump supporters here talked a lot about was their hope that Trump would reduce the US's involvement in global conflicts so we could focus our attention and resourc s domestically. How does this fit with that goal?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:36 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
I like president Trump, but we should stay OUT of other countries problems. Let them take care of it- none of our business.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
There is a Bloomberg article about US army working with Russian army to fight Turkey army who are trying to protect one rebel group. There is some drastic change in approach.

Sounds like just another one of those cesspools where it's impossible to know just WHO the 'good-guys' are and that's assuming there are any 'good-guys'.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's not meant to fit in with that goal but with the one of MORE! MORE! MORE! $$$ for the military. I'll note before the inauguration he also talked of branding China a 'currency manipulator', talk of which has died off since he adopted the 'one-China' policy and had his trademark approved in China.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:43 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
I can't speak for ALL Trump supporters. I supported Trump because he said, "You cannot fight two wars at the same time."

Both Hillary and Trump will have to defeat ISIS, war is unavoidable no matter who won presidency. It is just the reality. 100% isolationism is not reality for America. Come on, now.

This said,

Although Iraqis have often expressed opposition to a US military presence on the ground in Iraq, most pro-Western Kurds have been in favour of a US military presence on the ground and have even called for establishing US military bases in Kurdistan to protect the stateless Kurds against their hostile neighbours.

Also, the Kurdish security chief Masrour Barzani in the past talked about the need for more coalition ground forces to fight ISIS.

“So there must be some ground forces so they can go after them, to fight them. It depends on how quickly the West wants to destroy ISIS. If they want to do it quickly, then there is a need for efficient and effective ground forces to go after them [ISIS],” Barzani said in 2015.

“If they [Coalition] are waiting for the local forces to be ready to do this job then it will take a longer time,” he said.

I think Trump's war will be at least quick.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So we can have yet another proxy war of no benefit to the US?
What do you mean "another"? Russia and us have already been mucking around in Syria for years.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:46 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
So...are you gonna go to Syria and participate? Or cheer people like me on as we go over unwillingly because we've been trying to fix Iraq since 2006 with very little progress?

And yes I said Iraq because Rabiyah is right there on the border, and the Syrians would bring a ton of stuff over by train to help the insurgents.

Yes, since 2003. But things weren't too bad until Saddam was executed (2006) which happened when I first touched down.

We never completely withdrew from either OIF or OEF; I was actually in country when the Obama Administration made that false claim.

Indeed, you did state that you had mixed feelings. I don't know how to destroy ISIS besides containing them to their region of the world. But idiots want open borders, so here we are.

I'm curious, too. We definitely shouldn't really be the main effort involved, but we shouldn't simply do nothing either. It's a delicate situation.

I agree, but then what needs to happen is that we employ strict immigration policies in order to reduce the number of potential infiltrators that can enter the US. Problem is that we have a very shaky screening process at best.
Totally agree.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post

Wonderful post.

Very informative, fair and balanced

Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have friends who are active duty. They are all ready for war.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't want any wars, but I know ISIS needs to be destroyed.

Dear Lord, walk with these Marines Each and every day.

My sentiments exactly!

I hope that if we are going in there actively, especially on the ground, that we have proper rules of engagement, that all the military personnel there are equipped as well as they need to be, and that it is a quick, effective and efficient action and then we get out fast (with no apologies) and bring our forces home safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies