Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: We are all immigrants in America
YES 53 25.00%
NO 159 75.00%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:09 AM

379 posts, read 255,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, and I bet the Indians were really thrilled to see your grandpap and grandma getting off that boat.

You can twist it any way you want, but we ALL would not be here if people did not immigrate.
They weren't thrilled at all. They fought all they could, which is understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
My ancestors were kidnapped and brought here against their will, so no, I am not an immigrant nor am I descended from immigrants.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
My ancestors were kidnapped and brought here against their will, so no, I am not an immigrant nor am I descended from immigrants.

Yes you are ,ask Ben Carson.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Obviously we are not all literally immigrants. However, almost all of us are descended from immigrants, as Catgirl has so correctly pointed out.
If we're to believe we're all descended from Adam & Eve then there's no 'almost' about it.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:24 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
When there is an article about illegal immigration, someone will tell us that everyone in America is an immigrant and as a result we should be more open minded. Do you agree, are you and the majority of people you know immigrants?
It is the deepest meaning of prejudice that allows one class of people to be assigned the same expected behavior. All immigrants act and think alike is what the op suggests. Hear the 'dog whistle'?

Not all imigrants behave or act the same.

The downstream result of landed immigrants does not produce the same outcome and therefore destroys the refrain that all immigrants bring positive results.

Think of it as the liberal rationale that 'racial diversity' equates to diversity of ideas as the same template is used to promote all immigrants are beneficial for America.

People need to be treated as individuals, not lumpoed into groups and branded either positive or negative....unless you are talking about a sports team playing a game, etc.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If we're to believe we're all descended from Adam & Eve then there's no 'almost' about it.

We all came from Oldupai Gorge.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I don't subscribe to that particular mythology. Even if I did believe that, see my post above (and forgive my mis-stating the Latin, it should read reductio ad absurdum).

Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
"We are all immigrants" I think most people would understand its intent is to recognize how the immigrant experience is deeply woven into the fabric of this country’s creation, and how our diversity makes us unique.

This said, I cannot say that I am one. I was born here in the United States; i spent some early days (for school and education and my parents had to travel for businesses) in foreign countries and came back when I was about 10. My parents, grandparents were all born here in the States...

I just did a quick google search, the definition of settler:

A settler is a person who has migrated to an area and established a permanent residence there, often to colonize the area. Settlers are generally from a sedentary culture, as opposed to nomads who share and rotate their settlements with little or no concept of individual land ownership. Settlements are often built on land already claimed or owned by another group. Many times settlers are backed by governments or large countries.

So it looks like a settler is also an immigrant of some sort. If this is the case, then yes, I am also a child of settler aka immigrant. One of my great grandparent was a foreign student who eventually went back to her own homeland. (She was never an immigrant)

I have no issues with the belief that "we are all immigrants." whatever

Old 03-15-2017, 07:06 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
When there is an article about illegal immigration, someone will tell us that everyone in America is an immigrant and as a result we should be more open minded. Do you agree, are you and the majority of people you know immigrants?

You have a lot to learn. Most Americans are not immigrants they are native born citizens. What do you mean by being more open minded?

Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
No I'm certainly not an immigrant. I consider myself a native.

I have roots in the United States that goes back nearly 400 years. The body of my ancestors is literally incorporated into the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies