Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not all taxpayers want to fund Planned Parenthood.
not all tax payers want to fund war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Simple solution: get rid of Medicaid. Or better yet, make recipients work (community service) for benefits.
you realize medicaid covers the disabled and children right?

Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
At this point, I'm not sure if anyone other than a millionaire should feel financially secure enough to have children.
yep--so there be 20 people on earth!! Ohh who will do their laundry and clean their darn toilets??

Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Except that very few docs will accept Medicaid. That's the inconvenient truth so many refuse to face up to. Planned Parenthood is accessible to all women, even those who rely on Medicare for their health care.
this is why there are these things called "free clinics" around the country. you go to one of them, they write prescriptions as needed, including ones for birth control pills for those that cannot afford to pay a primary care physician.

Quote:
That's as incorrect as can be. Have you ever accessed services at Planned Parenthood? I have: routine gyno exam, pap smear, mammogram, birth control counseling and prescription. Planned Parenthood was a godsend when I was in college and just out of school with no health insurance and little money for doctors.
as i said, i have no issue with planned parenthood providing low cost and no cost health care for women. and if that was their primary function that would be great.

as for abortions, s long as they are a medical necessity, i have no problem with them. but since they are at this point in time being used as birth control, i object to that..

Quote:
Oh, sweetie, you're the one who's uneducated here, because you clearly don't understand accounting and auditing.

"Federal funding" or "tax dollars" in this instance is not a grant or any other chunk of cash, but a payment for services via Medicaid: Planned Parenthood provides a service - let's say a gyno exam - and Medicaid pays for it. Since Medicaid and not Planned Parenthood sets the reimbursement rate for each service, I'd love to know how you think those reimbursements could cover abortion services in addition to the actual service performed.

Nevermind that the federal audits would never let Planned Parenthood get away with any budget shenanigans.

Nonprofits run on tight shoestrings -- something else you're uneducated about, apparently.
honey you have NO idea who you are talking to. in fact i DO understand accounting and auditing, as i have done both for more than 25 years. planned parenthood does bill the government for services, but they also receive funding from the government in the form of grant money. as for non profits, and other businesses, running on shoestring budgets, i get that as well, as i have helped run such businesses.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Wondering what everyone else thinks of this.
I think Liberals need to reach into their pockets and pull out more money for Planned Parenthood.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:53 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
If the taxpayers demand it then they (Congress) have every right and reason to do it. Just because they provide a service doesn't mean they are ENTITLED to taxpayer dollars.

As for poor women... condoms cost 50 cents to a dollar. A month of pills can be purchased at WalMart for 9 bucks. If the poor can afford cell phone plans they can afford that.

Congress makes the rules as to how they determine title IX providers, not taxpayers. There have been rules in place for over 40 years and now they want to restrict one organization because of ideology. They are going to punish poor, eliminate providers and more than likely increase unwanted births.

It's been stated a gizzillion times but PP is more than a contraception machine they provide health care, education and they have a relationship with the community. You're statement about cell phones tells me all I need to know, you could care less.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not all taxpayers want to fund Planned Parenthood.
I don't want to fund security at Mara-whatever, but there we have it.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Free both control and abortions for women that will be awful moms is a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternative. The left makes very few good points, but they are correct that if birth control and abortions are limited, social services will increase.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I think Liberals need to reach into their pockets and pull out more money for Planned Parenthood.
So long as conservatives are willing to shell out for the consequences of defunding Planned Parenthood, you have a deal.

Honestly, though, liberals will get off FAR cheaper.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Honestly all forms of birth control should be available OTC at wal-mart for public consumption at low enough prices that planned parenthood isn't necessary (if they aren't already.. I wouldn't know, lol) ... and I don't support using tax dollars to fund someone's abortion, either. 95% of abortions are not because the woman was raped, it's that she opened her legs and now doesn't want the child. Give it up for adoption. Hospitals have to take it.
Pro-choice, pro-BC, but I still think a woman should see a health care provider for birth control. How is a woman supposed to insert her own IUD or Norplant? How is she to know if a certain BCP is right for her? Plus, HCPs also check blood pressure, and do a physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies