Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't see it as cheap, rather that people shouldn't have to be paid extra to do their job well.

I think tipping encourages a culture of entitlement, although I'm not really opposed to it.
It isn't extra. Minimum wage for servers, not counting tips - that is, what the employer is required to pay - is as low as $2.13 an hour, based on the idea that most customers will tip.

Do you really consider anything over that pathetic amount to be "extra?"

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:46 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Europeans don't have the same lazy, entitled service industry workers so we have to have incentives.
I've been to Europe many, many times. Unless you are going to a fancy place, I often found the service at restaurants in Europe to often be lacking and entirely subpar as what you get on an average basis in the US. Sometimes you have to tackle the waiter to put in you order (after waiting 30 minutes with no show) and even when you do that they start walking away. In South America it is even worse. They're much slower. Service in the US (and we're talking just a regular, non-fancy schmancy place) is probably the best in the West, it only gets bested by the types of service you get in Asia, where they wait on you hand and foot, even at a simple place.

Look, if you hate tipping culture and don't want to tip properly....THEN DON'T GO OUT TO EAT! Period. You know beforehand that leaving a proper tip is expected on top of the bill and people need it to survive. Don't go out to eat, go to McDonald's or any other place where you don't have to tip. Really not that hard.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
I think tipping should be reserved for people that go above and beyond their usual duties, if its expected then it should just be part of the bill. When my brother was a waiter he would make origami roses and give them to the middle-aged/elderly ladies that dined there and got tipped handsomely for that, he wouldn't have expected a tip if he'd just done his job as he is paid to do (the whole low wage for waiting staff in the US is ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed)

Old 03-19-2017, 02:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It isn't extra. Minimum wage for servers, not counting tips - that is, what the employer is required to pay - is as low as $2.13 an hour, based on the idea that most customers will tip.

Do you really consider anything over that pathetic amount to be "extra?"

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
Yes, of course it's extra. Anything above the wage is extra, unless you don't consider them to get a wage.

Seems that attractive people get tipped more ..... so it isn't really about service.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:28 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
(some are too dumb to calculate %, no excuse especially with smartphones) and/or b)

why do we have to give a percent, you fill my tea glass one time, ok, couple bucks but why should i have to get you 20% just because you filled my glass one time. why not the better the service, better the tip.

no service, well I guess no tip

Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, of course it's extra. Anything above the wage is extra, unless you don't consider them to get a wage.

Seems that attractive people get tipped more ..... so it isn't really about service.
There is a huge trend of these "breastaurants" going into business where all the waitresses have to be drop dead gorgeous. And, most of the bars lately have been hiring nothing but exclusively female bartenders. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if these people were being hired for their experience to go along with their looks, but in most cases, many of them are just starting out in the industry. Heck, one restaurant when they are hiring, call it an audition rather than an interview.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:49 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
What does that minimum wage equal to in very high cost of living Australian or European cities? Australia usually has a few cities in the top 20 with the highest cost of living in the world.

I would have much rather have had a job with tips and cash in hand than something like a 15$ minimum wage job in a ridiculously expensive city
Cost of living varies across cities.

I'd much rather know what I'm taking home each pay, so I can budget.

You said Australians are cheap. I don't know anyone who has gone to the US or other tipping nations and purposefully not tipped. It's simply not in our culture, so easily forgotten.
When I do tip, it's because someone has gone above and beyond their duty

Old 03-19-2017, 02:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I loved waiting tables and had no issues with making tips. My best tip was from an elderly couple who would leave a dime on their meal. They came in every week and sat in my section. I treated them with respect and they gave me 25 cents after awhile. It was one table out of many and I still made excellent money.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Because other first world countries pay their service workers better. The US is all about screwing over workers as much as possible so the top 1 percent can get richer. That's what capitalism is all about.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Europeans, Australians, Indians and many Asians are just cheap people, tipping isnt a part of their "culture" lol. I saw it all the time in Vegas, service people hate foreigners, they are just cheap.

Most europeans live in small little dwellings and dont have the kind of money Americans do, I would hate to be in the service industry in Europe. Its why Europeans and Asians like Americans, at least at the poker tables I have played at, we do tip
I think you are wrong. I had a girl friend from the South, like Georgia, an American. Before she inherited a large chunk of money from her stockbroker dad, she tipped the same as everybody else. The minute she got this money, for some reason she became frugal, much more frugal. I never know why, but the coworker's were laughing behind her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies