Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:56 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All the main holy books call for terror and death.

Geez....have you read the Old Testament? It's like a Peckinpah movie times a thousand on steroids.
Does Israel live by the OT? Does Israel have town square stoning daily for women? Sharia Law is only for Muslims countries......which does all of this and more.

So again, why worry about the OT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Lots of things. I was addressing WHAT people do, not why they do it.
Well, the why is a lot more important. We can't make this about a contrast between Christian and Muslims without addressing the why. Most people, rather foolishly I say, attribute Christian's relative peace to time, but it's not that at all. Many Western European countries having a history of deep Christianity have become extremely secular, and are peaceful. America is significantly less secular in terms of it's values yet has relatively comparable levels of peace (assuming you don't count imperialist military policy as violence). Time wasn't the issue; prosperity was. After WWII, the west was scared into peace by the horrors of WWII and the threat of nuclear war. Economies rapidly grew and we entered a post-industrial age.

Meanwhile, the Middle East is largely the target of foreign military goals. This holds them back. Economies cannot fully develop, social practices cannot thrive, and industry will not move forward so long as constant war, be it coming from inside or out, wages on indefinitely. Ultimately, we cannot control the Middle East or Islam but we can ask what our role is in this issue. Think how our actions contribute to radicalization, and do the right thing. There's a reason the threat of terrorism has been increasing in recent decades. It's not really as simple as "Islam bad." Really, nothing is ever that simple.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
They should just invent someone named Jesus (like Christians did) just so that they can have a reformation??

That's kinda silly.
They could at least consider a hippie version........peace has to start some where. Or how about not creating hateful little boys who grow up to be hateful young men.
Quote:
There aren't?

Lol...you'd better think long and hard about that. Think REAL hard. Then take a good look at the Middle East and rethink what you posted.
In Israel?

Old 03-24-2017, 01:08 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well, the why is a lot more important. We can't make this about a contrast between Christian and Muslims without addressing the why. Most people, rather foolishly I say, attribute Christian's relative peace to time, but it's not that at all. Many Western European countries having a history of deep Christianity have become extremely secular, and are peaceful. America is significantly less secular in terms of it's values yet has relatively comparable levels of peace (assuming you don't count imperialist military policy as violence). Time wasn't the issue; prosperity was. After WWII, the west was scared into peace by the horrors of WWII and the threat of nuclear war. Economies rapidly grew and we entered a post-industrial age.

Meanwhile, the Middle East is largely the target of foreign military goals. This holds them back. Economies cannot fully develop, social practices cannot thrive, and industry will not move forward so long as constant war, be it coming from inside or out, wages on indefinitely. Ultimately, we cannot control the Middle East or Islam but we can ask what our role is in this issue. Think how our actions contribute to radicalization, and do the right thing. There's a reason the threat of terrorism has been increasing in recent decades. It's not really as simple as "Islam bad." Really, nothing is ever that simple.
For once I largely agree with you, although the claim by jihadis that they are angry because of foreign presence in that area of the world is largely just an excuse for them. I agree it's time we greatly reduce our footprint there but even if we completely abandoned the Middle East it wouldn't be the end of Islamic terrorism.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,815 times
Quote:
For once I largely agree with you, although the claim by jihadis that they are angry because of foreign presence in that area of the world is largely just an excuse for them. I agree it's time we greatly reduce our footprint there but even if we completely abandoned the Middle East it wouldn't be the end of Islamic terrorism.
No, not on it's own. Stability and relative prosperity is what it necessary to reduce radicalization. An end to interventionist foreign policy is simply an aspect, not the end all solution. The end all solution will not come from the West.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Congress & the States with Lincolns signature... Yes, they had every right.
Lincoln all by himself didn't have the authority, much less the right.
Right. Keep the ******s as slaves, but we've gotta save the women of the Middle East. LMAO

Again, Southerners.
Quote:
The difference is that Jews and Christians don't actually DO any of that stuff.

Radical Muslims... different story.
Really? Didn't we just invade Iraq unjustifiably and kill thousands of people?

Is Bush a Muslim?
Quote:
Who in the Middle East is killing people in the name of the Old Testament? Israeli's? Wrong. It's simple self defense against radical jihadists. Israeli's live in Israel based on the Old Testament, but they don't kill in the name of the OT.
I didn't say Israel, did I? But you did. So what does that tell you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Does Israel live by the OT? Does Israel have town square stoning daily for women? Sharia Law is only for Muslims countries......which does all of this and more.

So again, why worry about the OT?
The Palestinians think they do. Who am I to argue? I don't live there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

In Israel?
Lol...see what I mean? Your guess speaks volumes.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Right. Keep the ******s as slaves, but we've gotta save the women of the Middle East. LMAO

Again, Southerners.

Really? Didn't we just invade Iraq unjustifiably and kill thousands of people?

Is Bush a Muslim?

I didn't say Israel, did I? But you did. So what does that tell you?

The Palestinians think they do. Who am I to argue? I don't live there.
Oh! Yes, it must be true!

Quote:
Lol...see what I mean? Your guess speaks volumes.
I had no idea that in Israel they were beheading/stoning citizens in time square. Are you making this up?

I know Palestinians have entered Israel and beheaded babies and citizens.....but I haven't heard that Israel's laws allow this......interesting, do you have any proof or just your word?

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgniYD58Fw

Reform Islam.

There may be peaceful Muslims but at the same time, the Quran justifies terrorism and death.

Reform it, or end it.

Peaceful Muslims need to hold the radical Muslims feet to the fire, or they will all be eliminated so it never returns.
I love how you snuck that little blurb in there. "There may be peaceful Muslims," as if 99% of the Muslims in America aren't regular, working people like you and me.

Goodness.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I love how you snuck that little blurb in there. "There may be peaceful Muslims," as if 99% of the Muslims in America aren't regular, working people like you and me.

Goodness.
Like these women.......Linda Sarsour. The problem is that some Americans can't seem to tell the difference and will even follow the radical ones. These people will even go as far as to march in the name of violent Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies