Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
What we need is Universal health Care. I can get behind that.
If that is what he wants though, why isn't that the plan being sent forth?
Because many of us don't want socialized health care and to promote such will lose his conservative base. You see, we tend to side with "freedom and liberty" based concepts, not communist ones where we subjugate the masses with armed government officials who will imprison or kill you if you do not hand over money for their cause.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I never knew this. Maybe that's why he says that we should either pass this (current stupid bill) or we'll just keep Obamacare but that he is moving on to tax reform. Deep down inside, he wants to keep Obamacare.

IF the Republicans could get their heads together and keep Obamacare and improve it, they WIN! I might even become a Republican if they did that.
I think him, and GOP are ok keeping ACA, but they have to out up this show because they have been talking about nothing else for 7 years.

The sensible thing to do, and it seems to be dawning to them now, is to identify the issues with ACA and fix them. That works much better than sabotaging it, which is what they have done so far.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:36 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Amazes me how for 8 years repubs whined and belly ached about Obamacare but in that time never lifted a finger to come up with a better plan and now they are wondering why this poorly constructed last minute trumpcare plan isnt being welcomed by every one.
Some did come up with good plans, Rand Paul is one of them, but... his plan doesn't give handouts and at the end of the day, most of the "republicans" are just establishment types or RINOs who like the democrats sell handouts to a mooching base.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:36 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think him, and GOP are ok keeping ACA, but they have to out up this show because they have been talking about nothing else for 7 years.

The sensible thing to do, and it seems to be dawning to them now, is to identify the issues with ACA and fix them. That works much better than sabotaging it, which is what they have done so far.
I agree with you. There are parts of ACA that work very well and I acknowledge that some people have been burned by ACA too. So lets just fix it, not get rid of it all together.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, no. Objecting to problems with the current system isn't the same as calling for single payer.
As you can see from the quotes he has called for single payer repeatedly, and your buddy just claimed he even campaigned on it.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,515 times
Have you read "The Art of the Deal"
It's about pulling a con job.
He mentions in that book about how to lie, but that lies can't go on FOREVER without being partially fulfilled.
So TRUMPCARE is his partial fulfillment of universal healthcare.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This article explains it better than I can:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-birth/397742/
Thank you for the article. Maybe I'm wrong, but if anything it supports my position regarding the fact that Obama Care passed without a single Republican vote using the nuclear option. Obama didn't need or even try very hard to gain any Republican support for it. He had the votes he needed.
My question is, why didn't he do this for universal healthcare? It could have been done. I don't think there was a single Democrat in Congress at that time that wouldn't have gone along with Obama.
Personally, I wished he had done it.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Because many of us don't want socialized health care and to promote such will lose his conservative base. You see, we tend to side with "freedom and liberty" based concepts, not communist ones where we subjugate the masses with armed government officials who will imprison or kill you if you do not hand over money for their cause.
You're already paying double the average of all other developed nations for US healthcare. Unfortunately, the lack of competition in the health care sector makes it unique and different than most other sectors - otherwise I'd mostly agree. Healthcare is getting/will get too expensive for conservative ideologues too, and it'll probably get to you in time. But in the meantime you're free to blindly apply your broad views even where they can't work as is. I'm a lifelong conservative too BTW.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Nonsense. The ever escalating cost of US healthcare will force the issue eventually. The US is the only developed country without universal health care in some form, and our broken system costs us more than double the $ per capita than the average of all those other countries.
Hey, I agree with you and I'm a Rep and conservative with most issues. Nothing would make me happier than universal healthcare. Everyone is covered regardless of who you are.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:44 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

You are playing checkers.

The game is chess.

That wasn't from Pravda. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies