Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're eagerly awaiting the initiative to cut down on the overprescription of opioids - y'know, an actually addictive substance. But - that would of course cut down on corporate profits, can't have that.
That already happened. That's where the heroin epidemic came from,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:34 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're eagerly awaiting the initiative to cut down on the overprescription of opioids - y'know, an actually addictive substance. But - that would of course cut down on corporate profits, can't have that.
Already done: N.J. Senate votes to curb prescriptions of opioid painkillers | NJ.com

So much for corporate conspiracy theories.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That already happened. That's where the heroin epidemic came from,
True, people will just look for their fix in other substances.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
On pot?

Most heroin addicts start on prescription painkillers. Funnily enough, the proponents of medical marijuana are usually saying pot is the ideal replacement for those painkillers.

But yeah, not important. Drug addiction is important, but not legalizing pot because that can't possibly be related. At least according to decades of puritan propaganda.
The medicinal benefits of pot are greatly exaggerated.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:44 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know what's up with some of you pot lovers. You have it and smoke it whenever you want anyway, most with the ruse of calling it medical. Grow up and worry about something a little bit more important than getting high.
Has crime skyrocketed in pot legal cities? No.

Legal pot hasn't affected my city (Denver) negatively at all.

One thing pot HAS done in Colorado is generate over $100,000,000 in tax revenue from legal marijuana sales, and $40M of that goes directly to Colorado public schools.

Oh, and since weed became legal in Colorado, it has created over 18,000 full-time jobs.

Telling people to "grow up" when you CLEARLY have no idea what you're talking only makes you look silly

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The medicinal benefits of pot are greatly exaggerated.
That has very little to do with my point. It certainly doesn't invalidate my point. Even if the affects are exaggerated, the problem being addressed is still being addressed. Many pain killers are addictive and pot can be a reasonably effective replacement for many of them without the addictive qualities. Certainly, the movement to legalize has precedent (baring in mind, my point was in defense of that precedent).

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom. Keep that in mind at all times, thank you" -Bill Hicks

Of course Trump should do this. His approval ratings would soar and maybe liberals would start to come around. Of course he won't, too much money at stake. Republicans only claim to want freedom from government but are scared of actual freedom and only want their own form of government and control. Trump de-scheduling an unaltered natural growing plant would upset his fanatical nutty evangelical base and his crony buddies. Weed is bad mmmmk.

-Trump voter who was duped

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
at this pint i dont care anymore if marijuana is made legal or not, the hypocrisy surrounding it is at a fever pitch. we are at this point trying stop people from smoking tobacco, a legal product by the way, but all the pot smokers want to do is exchange one addiction for another, IE smoking pot.

i can hear the pro pot people now, but pot isnt harmful, bull crap. anytime you breath in smoke of any kind its harmful to the lungs, and your body tells you every time early on, until you get used to it.

i just wonder how long after pot is made legal that a movement to end the smoking of pot will start.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
I don't know what's up with some of you pot lovers.
I don't know what's up with some of you control freaks.
Quote:
You have it and smoke it whenever you want anyway, most with the ruse of calling it medical.
My post had nothing to do with me personally.

You're a prohibitionist? You seek to keep something someone might or might not do in the privacy of their own home with their own body and mind illegal? And you think this is the right course of action? You think this is what government should be doing?
Quote:
Grow up and worry about something a little bit more important than getting high.
Grow up and worry about yourself and more important things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Great post. We have way too many drug addicts running around already.
Really? I thought it was one of the bottom-of-the-barrell worst posts in a long time. Thoroughly judgmental and authoritarian.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Pssh. Come on. That's never going to happen. Trump literally is the man.
I don't really think he is, at least on some things. But it is just a hypothetical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Ahh. The stigma of pot smoking evident in just a few responses.
It is a double standard. People can be casual drinkers, social drinkers, enjoy a goblet of wine in the evening or a beer or two on Sunday or Mimosas with the ladies and not be lumped in with hardcore drunks, but if you partake of cannabis (or even support decriminalization) you're viewed no better than a wake-n-bake stoner doing nothing forever in his parents' basement...
Quote:
Agreed. I don't smoke, but it has legitimate medical uses that need to be researched. You can't do research on a schedule 1 drug.
Agreed. I think we should open up research into the use of psychedelics to help people as well.
Quote:
Trump's approval rating would also soar among libertarians, young people, and Willie Nelson.
So much win to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies