Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
OP: why didn't the Head in Chief do it? He used cocaine and pot regularly as a teen and young adult. He would have sealed the deal for HRC if he had made that one of his last EOs, which he had 8 years to do.
I have NO idea why he didn't. Back in 2008, when I ack-chually voted for the man, and he won, I would have sworn that at the very least the rescheduling of cannabis would be part of the 4 years. 8 years later, nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 PM

809 posts, read 747,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I think it needs to be said that using cannabis does not necessarily mean "smoking pot." That's the traditional method of ingestion, of course, and it does come with some risks. Inhaling combusted chemicals into your lungs is never going to be a good thing. But now there are vaporizers, tinctures and edibles. These methods let you get the benefits without trashing your lungs.

I think it also needs to be said that, while it's true that there are no known deaths caused by THC, cannabis is not without risk. Some people do become psychologically, if not physically, dependent or develop psychological problems. Also, using cannabis at a young age can affect brain development. It's best not to use it (except for valid medical reasons) until you are in your early 20's, when your brain is fully mature.

One advantage of legalization is that there can finally be serious scientific research into cannabis - its benefits and its risks. Taking it off Schedule I would be an important first step toward dispelling the myths and educating the public on what cannabis does and how to use it safely.
Great post! My primary physician is against cannabis legalization, but after we discussed, he got to the point where he'd prescribe it to those dealing with chronic pain.

I'd never smoke pot (or cigarettes) again. Got over that 40 years ago. But I'd try legalized, regulated for quality, safely consumed pot if it was legal in my area.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Legal here and it is bringing in a lot of tax money. It is much safer than alcohol and is non-addictive. The medical benefits are too numerous to list here.

No, I don't use it but I fully support the legalization of it nationwide.

Now excuse me while I open another beer.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 PM

809 posts, read 747,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I have NO idea why he didn't. Back in 2008, when I ack-chually voted for the man, and he won, I would have sworn that at the very least the rescheduling of cannabis would be part of the 4 years. 8 years later, nothing.
Hmmm. Our past president had his hands full dealing with the financial crash, and then passing the first step towards civilized healthcare.

After Ted Kennedy died, he lost his filibuster proof Senate majority.

It then took him a long time to realize he was dealing with the party of stone cold obstruction. I don't know if an EO to reschedule cannabis would have been worth it, given the political climate.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No I don't.

Alcohol and tobacco and certainly dope should be illegal for the high medical costs to society it costs.

Ban it all. No redeeming qualities from any of it.

A number of studies have documented the benefits of red wine in one's diet.

Many foods have flavor elements not soluble in water but soluble in alcohol, they simply taste better when consumed with wine.

Prohibitionists should get the facts before mounting their high horses.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We already did that with two Constitutional amendments, one to prohibit alcohol and there were so many crime problems and civil disobedience that they repealed the amendment with a second amendment.

The battle front today is driving while drinking. It has already been established that as long as you don't DUI or beat your spouse or disturb the peace you can drink whatever you like as long as you don't harm others.

One thing is not clear to me. Who, anywhere in America, can't get enough pot to satisfy their desire? In California pot has been easily available since at least the '60s, and since medical pot was legalized there are pot doctors that will write you a 'scrip good enough to get your pot card, for $. "It hurts" is enough reason for them, 100% of all patients are accepted. From then on you can buy as much pot as you want from legal dispensaries.

And since people with the cards have friends who want pot, the guy with the card just goes and buys whatever his friends wants, maybe marks it up a bit, and nobody in California has any trouble getting as much pot as they want.

The only thing is you can't smoke it in public. And you can get your own card for $100-$200 pot doctor visit for the 'scrip and the card.

What I'm saying is that pot is already either legal or easily available in most areas. You have nothing to complain about except not being able to smoke it in public.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No I don't.

Alcohol and tobacco and certainly dope should be illegal for the high medical costs to society it costs.

Ban it all. No redeeming qualities from any of it.
actually alcohol has a number of redeeming qualities, including use as a disinfectant, as a fuel, as a mild pain killer. alcohol can even be used as a cleaning solution. marijuanas cousin hemp also has some uses, rope, paper, fuel, etc.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:37 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
I see the usual finger waggers and antiquated mindset prohibitionists are out, typically the safe folk who claim to want small government, more jobs, better local/national economy, who poo-poo cannabis while knocking back a cold one or 6, drink a pot of coffee to get going in the morning, take little blue pills to make their members function, pop rx drugs because the doctor says to and shrug off the growing evidence that cannabis users have already known for years...the most dangerous thing about cannabis is getting caught with it.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A number of studies have documented the benefits of red wine in one's diet.

Many foods have flavor elements not soluble in water but soluble in alcohol, they simply taste better when consumed with wine.

That's the thing, they have NO interest in learning anything new regarding cannabis. They know all they need to know, and there's no telling them different. I've stopped even trying, they can continue to look foolish and stand on the wrong side of history, and common sense. I'm glad that those of that mindset are dying off, and not because of anything related to cannabis.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Hmmm. Our past president had his hands full dealing with the financial crash, and then passing the first step towards civilized healthcare.

After Ted Kennedy died, he lost his filibuster proof Senate majority.

It then took him a long time to realize he was dealing with the party of stone cold obstruction. I don't know if an EO to reschedule cannabis would have been worth it, given the political climate.
So much this. Obama was getting so much flak from the right that to advocate for cannabis would have opened him up to even more name-calling (if such a thing were possible). I wish he had taken a stand, but I can't blame him for not doing it. He had more important issues to attend to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies