Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times

Advertisements

Assuming Trump "colluded" with the Russians and got them to hack the Hillary campaign's emails, what law did he break?

I know it wouldn't be the law against treason, which only comes into play if you a) levy war against the United States or b) give aid and comfort to the enemy.

Russia is not an official enemy of the United States.

We have not declared war on them, nor they on us.

So what law did Trump break?

And what law did Flynn break when -- as incoming national security adviser -- he promised the Russians that Trump would lift some of the sanctions imposed by Obama? (assuming that actually happened.)

From what I can tell, no laws were broken.

So what we're seeing now is just political theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:33 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
A foreign power can be considered an enemy of the United States without being in a declared state of war with the United States. I give you North Korea and Iran as prime examples.

And I've already told you that treason is being used as a generic catch word. Jonathon Pollard, the American intelligence officer who spied on behalf of U.S. ally Israel, was considered treasonous, but he was convicted under the Espionage Act.

As to what law Trump broke, no one has accused Donald Trump of anything.

So if there's no crime, why are the trumpettes so fearful of committee investigations by a Republican controlled legislature?

Old 03-31-2017, 07:37 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

So if there's no crime, why are the trumpettes so fearful of committee investigations by a Republican controlled legislature?
Exactly. If everything was all on the up and up, hold the hearings and get it over with. Time for tax reform!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Then why waste the time? No laws were broken, or the FBI would have swaulked, like they did with Hillary.
Maybe there was no "intent"..... LOL!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,650 times
He broke McCain law. I think it is Logan act. You can see here former AG response to these kind of questions. It is going to be moral outrage rather than breaking some law. Basically moral outrage turning into impeachment. I think, that is what democrats are hoping for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjo16QamjIc

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
The Logan Act 1799 law that prohibits citizens of the United States from negotiating with foreign governments and trying to influence their policies vis-a-vis a dispute with the United States- there is a light- touch there, but espionage and possible cyber crimes -- all depends-- but the confidence in his admin--- pffts

Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Assuming Trump "colluded" with the Russians and got them to hack the Hillary campaign's emails, what law did he break?

I know it wouldn't be the law against treason, which only comes into play if you a) levy war against the United States or b) give aid and comfort to the enemy.

Russia is not an official enemy of the United States.

We have not declared war on them, nor they on us.

So what law did Trump break?

And what law did Flynn break when -- as incoming national security adviser -- he promised the Russians that Trump would lift some of the sanctions imposed by Obama? (assuming that actually happened.)

From what I can tell, no laws were broken.

So what we're seeing now is just political theater.

It's called treason.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
As I said in another tread that the OP asked the same question, colluding with a foreign power to tip an American election is treason. Since there seems to be a massive coverup underway, we can then include the crime of obstruction of justice. If Trump & Co. had anything to do with Putin killing people who knew too much, we can add conspiracy to commit murder. If Trump agreed to tilt policy in a favorable way as a payment to Russia, we can also add bribery to the charge.

Yet, I have no doubt that the OP really doesn't care what crimes may have been committed.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Of course, we still do not have enough evidence to make any judgment. Only with evidence can we then point to specific laws.

However, I will note, as others have before: Richard Nixon did not order the break-in of the Democratic National Headquarters. He was unaware of said break-in by the 'plumbers'.

Where President Nixon got into trouble was, after he learned about the situation, he activity took part in the cover-up.

I imagine that such may be the case here: that Mr. Trump, even if wholly innocent of active collusion with the Russians prior to the election, is engaged in 'covering up' for those that were so engaged. Mr. Trump likes to say that he is loyal to a fault (which I have no idea if he is or not).

Mr. Nixon had the same characteristic.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
What if this were Obama under investigation for collusion with Russians?

I wonder if the conservatives would be downplaying things, saying that there was "no real crime committed."

Hmmm....I wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies