Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Since becoming law, the Logan Act has been broken over and over every year, by incoming Presidents and legislators.

Yet not one link to back up your false accusations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:44 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
We need more facts, but they could be brought up on obstruction of justice charges or conspiracy.

What they did is treasonous by the dictionary but probably not by the law.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Assuming Trump "colluded" with the Russians and got them to hack the Hillary campaign's emails, what law did he break?

I know it wouldn't be the law against treason, which only comes into play if you a) levy war against the United States or b) give aid and comfort to the enemy.

Russia is not an official enemy of the United States.

We have not declared war on them, nor they on us.

So what law did Trump break?

And what law did Flynn break when -- as incoming national security adviser -- he promised the Russians that Trump would lift some of the sanctions imposed by Obama? (assuming that actually happened.)

From what I can tell, no laws were broken.

So what we're seeing now is just political theater.

By your (il)logic, N Korea, N Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, et al were not our enemies since we haven't declared war on anyone since 1941, right?

We seem to nave spent an awful lot of blood and $$$ fighting those who aren't our enemies.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:09 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Well, let's see....

As Secretary of State, Hillary signed off on a deal that gave Russia control over 20% of our uranium.

This happened right after the Russians made a big contribution to the Clinton Foundation.

And the Clintons used foundation money as an expense account to pay for their lavish lifestyle and book speeches for Bill Clinton at up to $750,000 for 40 minutes.

So Hillary Clinton is guilty of treason (much more than Trump could possibly be) and taking bribes -- but nothing has happened to her.

As Secretary of State, Hillary used a private server that she claimed did not process any classified documents. It turned out that it did process classified documents that could have been hacked by Russia.

Hillary also deleted 30,000 emails in such a way that they could never be recovered. They might have contained classified information or indications that she was using the office of Secretary of State to do favors for foreign governments contributing money to the Clinton Foundation.

Congress subpoenaed Clinton's emails before she "acid washed" them, ordering her to preserve them as evidence. She ignored the subpoena and destroyed the evidence. Her staff who participated in that act refused to comply with a congressional subpoena to show up and testify. They also physically destroyed her cell phones using a hammer.

So Hillary is guilty of mishandling classified documents, destroying evidence, and obstruction of justice.

But nothing has happened to her.

While Hillary was under investigation by the FBI, the head of the Justice Department (of which the FBI is a part) Loretta Lynch secretly met with Bill Clinton on a plane in Phoenix, thus compromising the integrity of the investigation into Clinton. Immediately thereafter, James Comey, the FBI director, citing a statute that criminalizes even the unintentional mishandling of classified documents, insisted that Hillary should not be prosecuted because she had no intent to mishandle said documents.

So Loretta Lynch and James Comey are guilty of obstruction of justice.

But nothing has happened to them.

Yeah, hey!

The Clintons are replicate of the Charlie Manson tribe.

No one proved that Charlie intended anysuch.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By your (il)logic, N Korea, N Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, et al were not our enemies since we haven't declared war on anyone since 1941, right?

We seem to nave spent an awful lot of blood and $$$ fighting those who aren't our enemies.

You need to remember that you are using facts ,as a trump supporter he is use to "alternative facts".

Old 04-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well, let's see....

LOL, bless your heart.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Sure the'll tempt fate. In fact, the Freedom Caucus shut him down on TrumpCare.

The Freedom Caucus congressmen won their districts by larger margins that Trump won their districts - they're much more popular with their voters back home than Trump is. On top of that, the Koch brothers financially support the congressmen of the Freedom Caucus - and they have much deeper pockets than Donald Trump.
But not as deep as Putin's. Plus, he's got that micro-targeting social media propaganda thing going.

However, if one could fantasize a piece of legislation heartless enough that the Freedom (to Starve to Death) Caucus would support, it would be unlikely to garner any enthusiasm from the Democrats and precious little from moderate Republicans.

We'll see how the tax reform goes, but things may be at a standstill legislation-wise.

Fortunately, there is other work for Congress to do, such as figuring out what's going on with this Russian business.

It is starting to look like Trump and Manafort coordinated with agents of the Russian government, communicating via the infamous Alfa Bank server in Trump Tower, to run a targeted social media campaign using Russian-hacked U.S. voter databases.

Aside from dreadful optics, it remains to be seen if this was a criminal enterprise or not.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
What laws has Trump broken? Well lets start with the emoluments clause and his many conflicts of interests. "The emoluments clause was written precisely to stop a person like Trump." (The Washington Post.) A lawsuit was filed against him the day he took office, but this could prove to be an uphill battle.

There is no doubt that Trump used Putin's playbook to get elected. The core principles of Russian Propaganda are:

1 Rely on dissenting political groups in Western countries for dissemination.
2 Domestic propaganda is most important.
3 Destroy and ridicule the ideas of truth.
4 Putin is strong Russia is strong.
5 Headlines are more important then reality, especially when first impressions are forming.
6 Demoralize.
7 Move the conversation.
8 Pollute the information space.
9 Gas lighting. Accuse the enemy of doing what you are doing to confuse the conversation.

Did he break any laws by following Putin's plan to get elected? Did he collude with a foreign entity to win an election? That remains to be seen.

Do we want America and Europe destabilized to further Putin's agenda? I personally don't. I also don't want to live in a society run by a dictator that murders anyone who opposes him and his fake elections. I also don't want to live in an America that has a corrupt president using the office for a money grab for him and his family. Do you really think Trump cares about building his wall or repealing and replacing Obamacare? Or do you think he creates smoke screens to pass legislation to benefit his family and cronies? It is happening. It appears that Putin wants to restore Russia to what it was before it collapsed, and that takes money. What better way to do it then to own an American president? Putin doesn't care about Trump and Trump is no match for Putin. He's been at it far longer then Trump has and is a master at manipulation.

Every time I read the deflections and well Hillary did this and Obama did that, it's +1 for Putin. Open your eyes and look at what's really going on behind the scenes. Look at the here and now before America as we know it is gone forever. Less then half of America approves of Trump. That gives me hope, but only if Russia is out of the American elections. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how someone could lose an election with 3 million more of the popular vote. I also want to know how Russia knew which key states to target with their propaganda?

"America's exceptionalism is dead (once again) and Trump helped kill it. He has perverted and Putinized American politics all while promising to make America great again. The irony is ugly and profound."

I couldn't agree more with the author.

Please, do your own research and draw your own conclusions. I don't post links because much of what I read is copyright material and against TOS to post.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yet not one link to back up your false accusations.

Once you file for office, you and the people you appoint to run things and work for the core-top people in the campaign, not campaign offices, are no longer private citizens. Not until they withdraw or are removed from office.

The Logan Act was put in place back during the John Adams Presidency, when this nation was still fairly new and the kinks in government were not yet worked out yet, especially in foreign relations.
A private citizen, that in no shape or form, was associated with government in any way. Like you or I.
This private citizen went to France and negotiated a better deal for both sides, than anyone in our government could do. Adams was PO'ed.

Now that our government is refined, that has no bearing, today.
Not even when people like Jesse Jackson, a private citizen, go talk to foreign governments over and over.
Reagan tried to nail him for it.

The only way prosecution would come forward is, if Congress had declared war with the nation you, or I went to speak with.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Once you file for office, you and the people you appoint to run things and work for the core-top people in the campaign, not campaign offices, are no longer private citizens. Not until they withdraw or are removed from office.

The Logan Act was put in place back during the John Adams Presidency, when this nation was still fairly new and the kinks in government were not yet worked out yet, especially in foreign relations.
A private citizen, that in no shape or form, was associated with government in any way. Like you or I.
This private citizen went to France and negotiated a better deal for both sides, than anyone in our government could do. Adams was PO'ed.

Now that our government is refined, that has no bearing, today.
Not even when people like Jesse Jackson, a private citizen, go talk to foreign governments over and over.
Reagan tried to nail him for it.

The only way prosecution would come forward is, if Congress had declared war with the nation you, or I went to speak with.

Still not a link to back up you accusation.I read your opinion but we all have those.Give us facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies