Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM

447 posts, read 557,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
100% agree.

By refusing to leave and screaming like a child.
That was not what other passengers said. Maybe you were there, and you knew more than they did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
When a passenger is forcibly "bumped" to make room for someone else, is his luggage also found and removed from the plane? Or does the plane take off with his belongings?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
We'd probably have less "overbooking" don't you think ?

As long as we're all compliable cattle who bend over whenever asked to do so, the airlines will continue to mistreat paying passengers, and in fact probably escalate their mistreatment of passengers until they find the point where enough of their paying passengers revolt.....like this man did.

I don't know if he was a doctor or not, I don't know if he's a nice guy or a jerk, and it matters not to me. All I need to know is that he was a legitimate paying passenger, who essentially have a contract with United Airlines to get him from point A to B on a specific date and time, baring mechanical and/or weather related difficulties.

Neither weather or mechanical difficulties were present here. They simply needed his seat to further their financial interest, and decided to void his contract without his consent.

For gods sake, they should have just bought him off. Up the "reaccomodate" (don't you just love that sanitized corporate word United came up with ? bumping award until enough people give up their seats. Isn't that how United prices their seats ? It's supply and demand. If the supply is limited, the price goes up, and vice versa. But while they are happy to use this principle when it works in their best interest, when the shoe is on the other foot, call the cops and have your paying customer dragged off the flight when he doesn't "volunteer". That's a strange definition of a "volunteer".
The contract states if there are no volunteers you could be bumped. The question seems to be if they can do it with passengers already seated on the plane. It's nice that there are usually volunteers but if not, you might be picked to go. That is part of the agreement.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
First link that came up: David Dao, passenger removed from United flight, a doctor with troubled past

That is him yelling, at about the 10 second mark.
Sigh. Dude, have you not seen the video? The guy screamed when they grabbed him & dragged him. Now, provide a video that shows him screaming prior to being manhandled. I'll wait.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:13 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The contract states if there are no volunteers you could be bumped. The question seems to be if they can do it with passengers already seated on the plane. It's nice that there are usually volunteers but if not, you might be picked to go. That is part of the agreement.

From what I have been reading, the UA documentation on bumping applies only before boarding. In fact, it states that several times. No where does it say that you can be bumped once you are already boarded.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I just had a funny thought.

If, as has been suggested, the liberals on here are being paid by Soros, and the Trump people are being paid by the Russians, who is paying all these folks defending United?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
First link that came up: David Dao, passenger removed from United flight, a doctor with troubled past

That is him yelling, at about the 10 second mark.
They had already grabbed him by that point.

The comments from the passengers do not support that he was being belligerent or that they approved what was going on.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:17 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
While I didn't and won't read through all the previous 62 pages of this thread, let's be clear here: the flight was not overbooked. United crew members trying to make it to another city to work another flight demanded that they be seated. Its because of this that the airline came onto the already boarded flight and demanded volunteers and then forcibly removed the man after "randomly" not finding volunteers. The airline is completely to blame and I don't believe that they have a true lawful remedy/excuse for their behavior. While the contract of passage/carriage is clear that United may bump you if a flight is oversold, this was not the case here. Shame on United and I hope they pay dearly for this disgraceful behavior.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sigh. Dude, have you not seen the video? The guy screamed when they grabbed him & dragged him. Now, provide a video that shows him screaming prior to being manhandled. I'll wait.
Are you intentionally being dense? Belligerence EQUALS staying in the seat and failing to leave private property when asked to do so.

Blocking and impeding private property IS ITSELF BELLIGERENCE. IT IS ITSELF INITIATING VIOLENCE. Get it through your skull already. You don't have to be screaming or acting like an idiot before being removed. The FAILURE TO MOVE AND LEAVE IS ITSELF BELLIGERENT AND VIOLENT.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:19 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Why is it acceptable practice to routinely overbook a flight then forcibly remove people again?

As most things it's seems, the whole rationale is just dumb. Nothing makes any sense.

The question needs to be why are the Airlines allowed to overbook flights to begin with.

Once again. It's not rocket science. But yet basic logic eludes the vast majority.

The idea that someone COULD be dragged off a flight they paid for involuntarily is laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies