Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'd rather the police be put to use defending innocent people, not people who go to these rallies knowing full well there is going to be confrontation with the other side.

Better yet, hold the rallies in an stadium and have the protesters battle it out. Like the Roman colliseum. Sell tickets.
If a group is required to get a permit then they should receive police protection from people who disagree with their message. Protesting a pro-Trump rally is the same as protesting against the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 05:26 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Watts, 1965, widespread looting, arson, half the LAPD is down there, twiddling their thumbs, too afraid to enter the war zone. The Fire Department wouldn't enter to put out the fires either, as they were shooting at both the police and Fire Department from rooftops.

Quite simply, the police are not trained in riot control, they leave that to the National Guard, which eventually came to the rescue in Watts.

The Rodney King/Koreatown riots, ditto!

If a riot erupts in your neighborhood, quite simply, you're on your own!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
The Police are often there to cordon off the protestors so they do not spread out to do more damage.
They are often told not to get involved out of fear of the city being sued or a cop being injured and having to go out on a disability.
It is far cheaper to repair what is destroyed than to face a pile of lawsuits where some punching, kicking idiot was taken down by the Police and skinned his knee in the process.

Then there are situations like this in Baltimore where the mayor told the Police to coral the riot but to give them space to "destroy"

Baltimore Mayor: ‘Gave Those Who Wished to Destroy Space to Do That’ « CBS Baltimore

Personally I support peaceful protests but when they turn into a riot of looting and burning then they need to be stopped quick by any means necessary. Whatever happened to rubber bullets, dogs and fire hoses?

The clowns that come to these protests dressed in black with hoods, masks and helmets need to be taken down first and charged. I'd be pretty upset if my car or business was destroyed by these fools and the Police stood by.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMz0pcrM18

I don't get it, they are all gung-ho to beat/shoot anyone that shows the mere possibility of not complying yet when full-blown riots are going on - most recent the Berkely riots and they may as well just be picking their noses and twirling their thumbs. Why aren't the police actually doing anything??
Because the Mayor won't let them.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:50 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If a group is required to get a permit then they should receive police protection from people who disagree with their message. Protesting a pro-Trump rally is the same as protesting against the United States.

I must've missed the bulletin, when was the Constitution modified making only those whose beliefs you approved of covered by the Bill of Rights among other things?

Old 06-25-2017, 02:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I must've missed the bulletin, when was the Constitution modified making only those whose beliefs you approved of covered by the Bill of Rights among other things?
Oh to the Cult, they'll give up anything and everything if Trump asked them to. It's pathetic

Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
This has been going on for a long time......remember the first few days of the LA-Riots.

Now imagine if you are an innocent person, living or trapped in one of these riot-areas....and Government cannot or will not restore order!

Why this nonsense is allowed to fester and continue on and on and on....I really scratch my head trying to figure that out.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:01 PM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I doubt its the cops. Its the very upper echelon of the Police Department that refuses to allow the cops to do their jobs. The left wing media refuses to condemn the anarchists. The left wing media tries to portray these rioters as peaceful protestors. Until the general public becomes outraged (which they wont) expect more of the same.
Same thing happens in military operations. Black Hawk Down is a famous one. They easily could have done the mission if Washington stayed the hell out, but they wanted everything to go down in the day time when most of the military's gear was meant for a night time operation.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMz0pcrM18

I don't get it, they are all gung-ho to beat/shoot anyone that shows the mere possibility of not complying yet when full-blown riots are going on - most recent the Berkely riots and they may as well just be picking their noses and twirling their thumbs. Why aren't the police actually doing anything??
what would you have them do? the city might put out say 1000 cops, but the rioters are more like 20,000 strong, so the cops are out numbered 20-1. so should the cops break out some 7.62 mini guns and cut down the crowd? they actually do that in some countries around the world.

or should the cops break out the water cannons, and load them with pepper spray? thats been done as well, with very minor effect on the riots.

understand that if the cops do anything these days that puts people down, they get hammered for restricting peoples free speech rights, and have to deal with claims of police brutality, etc.

also the rioters tend to attack the cops with bottles molotov cocktails, rocks, anything they can get their hands on. these cops would like to go home to their families after a riot you know.

and then there are the city officials that restrain the cops from doing anything, at first.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Any of you ever attend a real riot. I did in Rochester NY in the 60s. The cops were out of the neighborhood because they were, correctly, scared to death. That mob was quite capable of killing a cop and the cops knew it. And firearms would likely have been met with firearms. The cops were outnumbered 10 or 20 to 1. Best they could actually do was seal off the neighborhood.. In fact a flying wedge of my neighbors organized quickly to protect our area and ended up having to rescue the police chief after he got knocked off the police car he was on asking the crowd to break up.

The Berkeley thing was not the left it was the antifa who is anything are limit libertarians and anarchists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies