Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:04 PM

60 posts, read 41,257 times

Advertisements

You are both close minded and petty, and in being that way have allowed common sense and mutual respect to leave this country. You are both useless and a waste of flesh. You whine the most, thus get the most facetime but are just takers and not givers. Everyday I have to see left wing anarchists destroying property and turning a blind eye to the law and enforcement of it in this nation. On the other end of the spectrum I have to listen to right wing zealots speak about how they want "small government" yet only if its issues that they agree with. For twenty years Ive had to listen to their fiscal restraint bs, yet they think the funding for a massive military grows on trees. Need an abortion? Too bad...we hate the government, except when we want them telling you we cant have one. There is nothing I despise more than a chickenhawk, And there sure seems like alot more of them on the far fringes of the right then left. OK.. All done I feel better

Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
Put me down too as "not a fan" of extremists, on either side.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Jon Stewart gave a brilliant (and hilarious) talk at my college when I was in school a little over 10 years ago. He made an extermely pertinent point: that you can think of political beliefs as a bell curve. You have the majority of the people in the middle, and you have the people on the fringes. The ones on each side of the fringes can't hear or see the people on the other side because of the bell/hill between them. This has only intensified as the fringes have moved further and further left/right.

Unfortunately, these people are the ones that get the most press/facetime, and are catered to in general elections. Why? I'm not sure...maybe because their soundbites are the most explosive in gaining coverage and fans? You don't get many people elected on a campaign of "compromise" these days. It seems we keep getting candidates that are more and more extreme in their beliefs (not bad by itself) and against working with the other side (bad when mixed with extreme views).

Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Agree.

But equally bad are the moderates who compromise by accepting the worst ideas from both sides.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,818 times
Donald J. Trump qualifies as BOTH. That's probably why he has the lowest approval rating in history.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:25 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Come with me, I'm a lifelong atheist, I'm for the decriminalization of some drugs, strongly support abortion rights and marriage rights, I'm pretty much an isolationist when it comes to the military, and yet I really am for properly limited government and free markets... I'm also a stout supporter of free speech and free expression (classical liberalism) and against the initiation of violence.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
...you can think of political beliefs as a bell curve.
Similar to Horseshoe Theory:

Wikipedia: Horseshoe Theory

Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Put me down too as "not a fan" of extremists, on either side.
It's interesting. Where I live is all Trumpskull. You could look under every rock in eight counties here and never find a wacko left wing nut job. Therefore, I am much more highly annoyed by the right wing cadre of crazies. Their stupid gun fetish and their goatees.

If I lived in San Francisco or Seattle I'd probably be a little more sympathetic to the right wingers because I'd be surrounded by the unreasonable left.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:51 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Come with me, I'm a lifelong atheist, I'm for the decriminalization of some drugs, strongly support abortion rights and marriage rights, I'm pretty much an isolationist when it comes to the military, and yet I really am for properly limited government and free markets... I'm also a stout supporter of free speech and free expression (classical liberalism) and against the initiation of violence.
Other then the free markets part I think we are both the same there. I like limited regulation as I dont like lead in my candy. But most people here think of me as a extreme left. Oh and im pro right to bear arms to the point where even some some republicans think I go too far. (people should have anti-tank weapons, grenades, etc, if you dont like it change the constitution)

Old 05-03-2017, 04:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Similar to Horseshoe Theory:

Wikipedia: Horseshoe Theory
Yes, I've seen that one, too. Is also a useful good way to think about it, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Other then the free markets part I think we are both the same there. I like limited regulation as I dont like lead in my candy. But most people here think of me as a extreme left. Oh and im pro right to bear arms to the point where even some some republicans think I go too far. (people should have anti-tank weapons, grenades, etc, if you dont like it change the constitution)
Ha - I'm mostly similar to you, in some ways. I hate guns, personally (I get very uncomfortable around them). But people should be allowed to have them, and I fully support their rights to them.

And honestly, if I knew a guy with a tank, I'd want to ride in that thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies