Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:04 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times

Advertisements

Identical story posted here a year or two ago - this time in the US - California, I think. Same deal, Asian salon owner refused service to a morbidly obese woman because she's had an earlier experience with one of her expensive chairs breaking.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:06 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'd like to add a side note regarding all those on this thread who bashed this woman and overweight people in general (usually they were males):

I've noticed in my life that the people who made fun of, for instance, fat people when they were young turn out to be daddies of fat little girls and fat teenage girls. It's been a really interesting thing to notice because I've seen it many times. They then have to try to soothe the hurt feelings of their own daughters, probably much like the parents had to do for the girls these guys once made fun of.
I love karma.
I'm 5'10 and 125 lbs, and even I managed to actually break a seating bench (those ones at Ikea that you get to sit down by your entrance when you put on/remove your shoes when going out/in the house).

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not harping on her for her weight personally. Just saying that things break sometimes, and even I was "fat" enough to break a chair.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Honestly, this is why I'd never be able to work in customer service. I'd probably try to be helpful by offering another solution, like pillows on the floor for her to sit on, Japanese style.
LOL - seriously? What makes you think once she's on the floor she could get up?? Not happening. You'd be putting your back out getting her upright.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'd like to add a side note regarding all those on this thread who bashed this woman and overweight people in general (usually they were males):

I've noticed in my life that the people who made fun of, for instance, fat people when they were young turn out to be daddies of fat little girls and fat teenage girls. It's been a really interesting thing to notice because I've seen it many times. They then have to try to soothe the hurt feelings of their own daughters, probably much like the parents had to do for the girls these guys once made fun of.
I love karma.
Nothing more pathetic than a fat teen.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Nothing more pathetic than a fat teen.
Aaah jeez whogo, even you must have a limit!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah jeez whogo, even you must have a limit!
I guess when I was a teenager we did not have video games and I phones. There was at most one fat kid in a class of thirty.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I thank she should worry more about why her male fiancée gets pedicures.
Oh whatever, my straight husband and I get pedicures once in a while for date night. Pedicures for men =/= gay.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Ut oh, I am going to get beat up badly for this but...

Look at what the owner said.

"Because it happened already and people sometimes fall down and I can help them a lot,” said Lam.

This was a safety issue.

I worked in a furniture store and obese people can break things. I'm not just talking about fat women, but some men are 6'8' and weigh 400 lbs. The average chair should hold 250-300 lbs, but I just watched a program on TLC in which the young girl weighed 654 lbs. Does the article mention the woman's weight? We are only seeing a photo of her face. Maybe she really was too big for the chair.

I agree that people need to be compassionate, but suggesting a lawsuit is ridiculous. Telling a person you don't think you can accommodate her isn't the same as refusing to serve someone who is gay or discriminating against a person's race.

I'm sorry this person has a weight problem and my heart goes out to her, but she should go on a diet or accept the fact that this is going to happen once in a while.

By the way, this happened in Canada, so we do not know the laws of that country. In any case, I honestly can't see how this is a human rights violation.
If you had scrolled down, you would have seen a photo of her.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Oh whatever, my straight husband and I get pedicures once in a while for date night. Pedicures for men =/= gay.
Same here. Nasty hobbit feet is unflattering on either gender.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428
Overweight and obese people should be shamed in my opinion. It's not normal or socially acceptable to be that way
Some people CANNOT HELP IT!!!!!!!! -- Some have a condition which makes them BIG,nothing will change it

I feel bad for them........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies