Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Yes, it may have been a very real legitimate concern for the equipment, but certainly staff could have done a better job than to outright shame a customer over her size.

I know she won't get much sympathy on this forum, but businesses need to do a better job of treating their customers with respect and dignity. It has nothing to do with being 'snowflakes' or getting a thicker skin. That's absolutely irrelevant, and NO customer should be disrespected in public and to their face like this.

Doesn't matter why a customer is disrespected or turned away, be it race, political affiliation, gender, etc. It is plain wrong.

Glad she's filing a complaint.

Woman alleges body shaming after nail salon turned her away | CTV News Winnipeg

Quote:
Adie said workers at the salon told her they couldn't serve her, only her fiancé.

"She said, ‘You can't fit in the chair. You won't fit,’ and she kept repeating it, over and over again," said Adie.

Shocked and ashamed, the couple left.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:05 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
What kind of nail salon is this person running? We have all been to a nail salon, most pedicure chairs are strong enough for this lady. I doubt she is big enough to break a chair.

I am glad that she complained. I think suing is completely justified. Looks like the salon owner is too cheap. Even if she couldn't fit the chair, I would apologize and offer her some free services. (maybe give her one free manicure or facial treatment.)

Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Overweight and obese people should be shamed in my opinion. It's not normal or socially acceptable to be that way...doesn't matter if you're donald trump or the local clown, overweight is not okay

Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Overweight and obese people should be shamed in my opinion. It's not normal or socially acceptable to be that way...doesn't matter if you're donald trump or the local clown, overweight is not okay
Thing is most overweight people know they are overweight. Shaming doesn't really help them.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What kind of nail salon is this person running? We have all been to a nail salon, most pedicure chairs are strong enough for this lady. I doubt she is big enough to break a chair.

I am glad that she complained. This is one the case I think suing is completely justified. Looks like the salon owner is too cheap.
I guess you never considered the ramifications of doing pedicures when overweight folks want them. It's well known that in Obese people their circulation to extremities is lacking therefore are HIGH risk people for infections and injuries the average person does NOT possess! Why should very low paid worker become responsible for possible direct affects ( unless client signs a waiver)???

Poor Circulation In Feet - What You Should Know

Quote:
There are many causes of poor circulation, some of which are related to unhealthy lifestyle choices. Poor foot circulation is sometimes caused by obesity, lack of exercise, or poor food choices.

These habits can cause the arteries that carry oxygenated blood and nutrients around the body to become diseased. A diseased artery narrows, preventing the easy flow of blood to organs and muscles.

The reduced blood flow results in less oxygen being delivered to all parts of the body, which can hinder the body’s ability to function normally.

A number of diseases, including diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), and high cholesterol, can also interfere with blood flow and cause poor circulation. People with diabetes are especially at risk for foot problems:

“Nerve damage, circulation problems, and infections can cause serious foot problems for people with diabetes. Sometimes nerve damage can deform or misshape your feet, causing pressure points that can turn into blisters, sores, or ulcers.

Poor circulation can make these injuries slow to heal. Sometimes this can lead to amputation of a toe, foot, or leg.” (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2012)

Reduced blood flow to the limbs is called peripheral artery disease (or peripheral arterial disease). This usually affects the legs. Peripheral artery disease is generally caused by atherosclerosis, which is a build-up of fatty deposits (plaque) in the artery walls.
Liabilities~~

Thinking Of Getting A Pedicure? Beware The Health Risks First | HuffPost

It's important to read this whole article, because Pedicures are just NOT risky for Diabetics or Obese people!!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:26 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, it may have been a very real legitimate concern for the equipment, but certainly staff could have done a better job than to outright shame a customer over her size.

I know she won't get much sympathy on this forum, but businesses need to do a better job of treating their customers with respect and dignity. It has nothing to do with being 'snowflakes' or getting a thicker skin. That's absolutely irrelevant, and NO customer should be disrespected in public and to their face like this.

Doesn't matter why a customer is disrespected or turned away, be it race, political affiliation, gender, etc. It is plain wrong.

Glad she's filing a complaint.

Woman alleges body shaming after nail salon turned her away | CTV News Winnipeg
I totally agree with you. The employee at the salon was wrong to treat her that way.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
If she can't fit into the chair what do you expect the salon to do?

Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I guess you never considered the ramifications of doing pedicures when overweight folks want them. It's well known that in Obese people their circulation to extremities is lacking therefore are HIGH risk people for infections and injuries the average person does NOT possess! Why should very low paid worker become responsible for possible direct affects ( unless client signs a waiver)???

Poor Circulation In Feet - What You Should Know

Liabilities~~

Thinking Of Getting A Pedicure? Beware The Health Risks First | HuffPost

It's important to read this whole article, because Pedicures are just NOT risky for Diabetics or Obese people!!
yeah right, the reason the salon owner turned down her business is because they worry about her health. LOL

Old 05-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If she can't fit into the chair what do you expect the salon to do?
In my opinion, it is not about what you say, it is HOW you say it.

I would apologize, and then offer her a free manicure treatment. You perhaps get a repeat customer instead of a lawsuit.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Thing is most overweight people know they are overweight. Shaming doesn't really help them.
Actually, there's a lot of academic research that shows that peoples' assessment of their weight appropriateness is wrong. Men tend to think their weight is "acceptable" when they are actually overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies