Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,947,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who cares if black Harvard graduates want a separate graduation ceremony?
They don't want a separate graduation ceremony.

They will be participating in the full graduation ceremony along with everyone else.

The separate celebration is really about networking more than anything else. Graduates from an elite university networking with one another based on something they have in common. Oh, the horror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:13 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,855,682 times
I'll leave it with I'm surprised hardly any of you paid attention to my post that showed that this sort of separate events for graduation is commonplace for Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Natives, and LGBTQs, yet you are only being upset about the blacks.

Also, again if you want a white celebration - raise money and throw one. No one cares. You always have some sort of faux outrage over not being able to be racist. Nobody cares what you do as long as you are not trying to hurt anyone else and just because someone talks about you doesn't mean you are prevented from doing what you want.

You all are talking about Harvard and they know about people talking about it and guess what....they are planning on having a bigger "black graduation" next year lol.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:17 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The thing is, the students haven't been self-segregating. They have been attending classes and socializing with and living with and doing projects with their non-black peers all along. In an elite graduate school especially, they have no choice, since they are often on of a very few (if not the only one) in their grad program.

The reason black grad students seek out each other is not because they don't want to experience discomfort... in fact, they LIVE the discomfort, they EMBODY "out of the box" thinking. Many have learned how to excel in discomfort LOL, that's how they got to Harvard in the first place. And many of them know what they are getting into when they choose to come there to study.

When they get together they are looking for a BREAK from the discomfort they experience every day.

In any case, this is one event coming at the conclusion of the experience, it's not an example representative of the whole experience.

And it's not solely based on skin color exactly, it's more based on a shared experience as a result of the skin color, if that makes sense. Many have experienced people assuming they were only admitted because of Affirmative Action, been hit with casually racist comments and actions from their peers, had faculty that assumed they were not as bright, etc. Not ALL peers/faculty of course, but some. So they have that in common, and like to get together for support and to self-advocate for change.

It's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. If they ignore crappy treatment, they are not making it any better for the people who come after them. If they try to handle it all alone, they get extra stress and feelings of isolation, making them more prone to depression. If they get together sometimes for support, they are "self segregating". If they speak up, they are "playing the race card" and folks will argue them down that their problems don't exist, in classic gaslighting fashion.

As a black person I can tell you it feels like some white people are going to complain no matter what we do so after a while we tune them out. LOL. The only thing that will make some white people happy is if you suffer in silence and tell them everything is great and they are perfect. Oh well.
I'm black and a women, in the construction business. It's difficult for everyone. If you continue to have the mindset that life is uncomfortable for you because of your skin color or gender you'll avoid taking the risks that will make you an equal. You will also cling to comfort at the dismissal of higher goals. My mother is white, and I can tell you she has suffered from being uncomfortable in my dads family as well. Yet, she continues to endure it without complaint. I get self segregating to a certain degree, but not everyone can do this. White people get condemned for this, black people get embraced for doing this. Those of us who are mixed get a chance to be unavoidably uncomfortable in both groups. There is a clear difference in how each group handles discomfort.

Regardless of what you think, the concept that white people are happy if you as a black person suffer in silence is ridiculous to me. I think you confuse this with white people being use to discomfort and handling it without complaint. I see this as the main difference when visiting each side of the family. One has a built in club that identifies with like members, and one doesn't. Try to keep an open mind and remember, the act of suffering brings people together, but sometimes it's just an act to feel that unity. I know very few black people who actually suffer in 2017 due to the color of their skin. I'm sure there are some, but not enough to warrant self segregation in my opinion.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll leave it with I'm surprised hardly any of you paid attention to my post that showed that this sort of separate events for graduation is commonplace for Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Natives, and LGBTQs, yet you are only being upset about the blacks.

Also, again if you want a white celebration - raise money and throw one. No one cares. You always have some sort of faux outrage over not being able to be racist. Nobody cares what you do as long as you are not trying to hurt anyone else and just because someone talks about you doesn't mean you are prevented from doing what you want.

You all are talking about Harvard and they know about people talking about it and guess what....they are planning on having a bigger "black graduation" next year lol.
Who's said that? This post is about blacks self segregating for an event. If it was about other groups you'd have your comparison but it's not. Start another thread. Several people have been on here in the past upset about Latino Awards shows.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,826,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I'm black and a women, in the construction business. It's difficult for everyone. If you continue to have the mindset that life is uncomfortable for you because of your skin color or gender you'll avoid taking the risks that will make you an equal. You will also cling to comfort at the dismissal of higher goals. My mother is white, and I can tell you she has suffered from being uncomfortable in my dads family as well. Yet, she continues to endure it without complaint. I get self segregating to a certain degree, but not everyone can do this. White people get condemned for this, black people get embraced for doing this. Those of us who are mixed get a chance to be unavoidably uncomfortable in both groups. There is a clear difference in how each group handles discomfort.

Regardless of what you think, the concept that white people are happy if you as a black person suffer in silence is ridiculous to me. I think you confuse this with white people being use to discomfort and handling it without complaint. I see this as the main difference when visiting each side of the family. One has a built in club that identifies with like members, and one doesn't. Try to keep an open mind and remember, the act of suffering brings people together, but sometimes it's just an act to feel that unity. I know very few black people who actually suffer in 2017 due to the color of their skin. I'm sure there are some, but not enough to warrant self segregation in my opinion.
I wrote a whole missive stating that the black kids in grad school (particularly Harvard) aren't actually self-segregating since they spend most of their time there outside their bubble, and you write me a response as if I said the opposite.

Did you actually comprehend what I said, or did you just see "self-segregate" and react to your own pet peeve?

Exactly how are the grad students at Harvard not taking risks that will make them an equal? THEY ARE GRADUATING WITH AN ADVANCED DEGREE FROM HARVARD! They said "We DON'T see each other most of the time, we want to celebrate together now". And they are attending the regular graduation (and presumably department ceremonies as well). So... this ONE party is an example of holding themselves back... from what?

SMH.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,947,865 times
Quote:

It is difficult for everyone. Many people find that business networks are helpful. Graduate students just starting out in the business world in particular find networking to be a useful business strategy. This is just an opportunity to network.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,421,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Which then renders IQ assessments meaningless since a number of people of African origin outperform others academically and in terms of overall career success.

Well then again IQ assessments fail since Africans are said to have low IQs, often.lower than African-Americans. Yet Africans tend to have higher academic achievement than African-Americans. In the UK, certain African groups also tend to outperform white students.

Indians have lower IQs than certain East Asian groups but yet have higher academic achievement than said groups. IQ tests fail again.
The African immigrants you speak of have immigrated to the West due to being very intelligent with high IQs and wanting a better life.

Africa as a whole and in general is a hellhole hence the brightest leave it.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:32 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,888,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
the blacks

Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,333,092 times
Quote:
Who's said that? This post is about blacks self segregating for an event. If it was about other groups you'd have your comparison but it's not. Start another thread. Several people have been on here in the past upset about Latino Awards shows.
The blacks are not self segregating the official event though. They will "integrate" with everybody else, then have another private event FOR THEMSELVES. This is fake outrage. There is no legit argument here. Should we be outraged that the special Olympics exist as well? Or what about the Lifetime Channel. Or the country music awards, why can't they just be apart of a ceremony for all music genres? You're playing stupid, you know this is only brought up because some black people did something without white supervision.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:05 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,978,708 times
If I was black I wouldn't want to hang around whites for too long, just like if I was white/Asian I wouldn't want to hang around blacks too long.

Self segregation is healthy. Look at San Francisco, NYC, and Boston....the most self segregating parts of the country....and they're doing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies