Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:09 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I wish I knew what triggered the violence, intolerance, and hate. The trendline is not good.
I am pretty sure it's social media. People think everyone was awful to Obama, but they forget Bush. Bush, then Obama, and now Trump hatred is turned up to 11. Imagine how awful people would have been to Carter, Reagan, and Bush 41 if social media had been around then, after the Internet decimated journalism. Now that people know how others really feel (or think they know anyway), expect this to be our new normal.

Last edited by katygirl68; 05-13-2017 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 02:10 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
As far as retirement and wanting to live where you are among like minded people, I don't think that is a liberal only philosophy. I took my Ca retirement and headed as fast as I could for a conservative location.
Like you, I'll be renting my CA home when I retire to Texas - most likely.

This state has become untenable with such high taxes and cost of living through the roof.

EXP: Back in January I compared my electric bill with a good buddy that moved there last year. In Texas electricity is sold like cell phone service. You can actually shop for the best deal. Anyway, the comparison was startling to say the least. I used less than 900kwh and my SCE bill was $225. My buddy used 1700kwh and his bill was $270. 1700kwh in CA would run close to $500.

The added lunacy of folks who run this state in SacraMENTAL under orders from the clown show in SF and LA are driving the state closer to bankruptcy even after we have had multi billion dollar tax hikes every two years since Moonbeam was re-elected.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
The turning point was the end of the USSR, or a little bit earlier (say, 1980) for the more perceptive among the left.

Leftists used to believe that planned economies could compete with and even outdo market economies. The left had an alternative economics that was vibrant, and this gave them hope for a more equitable future. This alternative economics provided a coherent and structured goal for the economic outcasts of society to strive toward.

However the economic failures of planned economies during the 1970s and 1980s, ranging from Sweden at the democratic end to the USSR at the autocratic end, made the leftists stop believing that there was a viable alternative to market economies. Marxian economists diminished in stature throughout academia and now mainstream economics is the neoclassical synthesis, which is market-based.

Without a viable alternative economic system, the left became ideologically unmoored and is now mostly focused on rectifying/avenging tribal grievances of historical outgroups. The problem with this is that before the loss of faith in Marxism, one of the main advantages the political left had over the political right was a universal program, meaning a politics that could appeal to all tribes and groups, rooted in class. The left, now rooted in ethnicity and gender, is composed of an uneasy alliance of disparate groups pursuing different goals, often at cross purposes.

The paleo-right, the right of creed and nation, used to be splintered along these lines and still is. However the business right has occupied the commanding heights of economic orthodoxy and this is a universal message that can be used to attract adherents.

Leftists are lashing out because they see so many people falling behind economically, and they have no alternative economics to offer them. It is a very visceral reaction, a loss of hope in the future for the working class.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I am pretty sure it's social media. People think everyone was awful to Obama, but they forget Bush. Bush, then Obama, and now Trump hatred is turned up to 11. Imagine how awful people would have been to Cater, Reagan, and Bush 41 if social media had been around then, after the Internet decimated journalism. Now that people know how others really feel (or think they know anyway), expect this to be our new normal.
Good points. I've not seen anyone make this link so relevant as this to date.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
As far as retirement and wanting to live where you are among like minded people, I don't think that is a liberal only philosophy. I took my Ca retirement and headed as fast as I could for a conservative location.
Thanks for your honesty. I'm 66 and had a difficult time finding an affordable place to retire in a liberal environment. I'm not very liberal, but I lean more left than right and most areas in the South are very conservative. Frankly, I really don't care, as long as people don't wear their religious and political beliefs on their sleeves.

By the way, I disagree with the subject of this thread. After Obama was elected, many ugly racists crawled out from under their rocks and since Trump began campaigning in 2015, there's been an increase in hate crimes against Jews, Muslims and people of color. I think that's pretty "awful."

Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks for your honesty. I'm 66 and had a difficult time finding an affordable place to retire in a liberal environment. I'm not very liberal, but I lean more left than right and most areas in the South are very conservative. Frankly, I really don't care, as long as people don't wear their religious and political beliefs on their sleeves.

By the way, I disagree with the subject of this thread. After Obama was elected, many ugly racists crawled out from under their rocks and since Trump began campaigning in 2015, there's been an increase in hate crimes against Jews, Muslims and people of color. I think that's pretty "awful."
Do you have links to the crimes against Jews, Muslims and people of color?

Old 05-13-2017, 02:44 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I think today's liberalism is a last gasp of a dying movement. Old-school liberals at one point had some reasonable leaders and voices. Sadly, they have been co-opted by today's far left. The American people, and even the bulk of the Democratic party, have rejected the far left nutjobs. The left has caused the Dems to lose the House, Senate, White House and any meaningful power in the majority of state legislatures and governorships.

What is left? Desperation. Losing, desperate people become increasingly irrational and violent. We are seeing that now. Hopefully the irrationality of the American left will finally collapse and die once and for all, and we can return to a peaceful, civilized society.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Good points. I've not seen anyone make this link so relevant as this to date.
Thanks. It's simplistic, but I think accurate I'm afraid.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Both Comey and NSA Director M Rogers agreed that there is no evidence of any collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. Nor was there any evidence that Russia's meddling had any influence on voters, Comey said, echoing comments by both former CIA Director Michael Morell and by Director of National Intelligence Clapper.

Democrats were hoping to use what appears to be an entirely bogus scandal to gin up public opposition to President Trump, for the sole purpose of damaging his presidency — and, perhaps eventually, as a prelude to legal action or even impeachment proceedings.

We wonder: Is this how unhinged a political party gets after losing an election it thought was a shoo-in? It sure seems that way.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Just a few turned violent & that too when they were sponsored. Hollywood definitely added fuel to the fire. Voicing opinions on forums doesnt count as violence to me. When you have a job & are accoubtable for your actions then you try to avoid public demostrations. Few students & out of work paid protestors do not represent all liberals. I have lot of liberal friends & they definitely mean well. But unfortunately they are delusional & ignorant about the world outside progressive western democracy so their rose colored glasses dont come off that easily. They are a lot like clueless hippies who want world peace at any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies