Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
stop listening to the lame stream butt hurt left wing media in this country, they are just doing everything they can to try and destroy trump, including lying about the things he does.
I feel it's inappropriate for me to even take the "lame stream media" argument serious, since it's entirely ridiculous, but what about the 57 missiles Trump fired on Syria? The media reported that, via an interview with the President himself. That wasn't a lie.

He declared war on Syria, essentially. The ONLY reason he can get away with doing this is because Syria does not have the resources to fight back. Had he done that to a country like China, they'd see that as an act of war and would retaliate. Many countries would, actually.

Imagine if Russia fired 57 missiles in the US. What would the reaction of the United State government be? Do you see the problem? The ability to declare war lies with congress, not the POTUS, but essentially every president since FDR has loosened the restrictions on what a president can and can't do with the military. Let's be very clear here, had the technology to do this existed when say Theodore Roosevelt was president, and he did this, they'd impeach the **** out of him for stepping over congress to declare war. Why is Mr. "make American great again" held to such a different standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 02:32 PM

224 posts, read 134,269 times
Why would any Trump voter regret their vote after 4 months in office? Give him more time to do the things he said he would do...although he's gone back on practically everything he said from healthcare to building the wall immediately. Now today he says he wants peace in Syria. Hm, this is the same Trump that talked about bombing the ish out of them?

Personally, I'm loving the Trump show. I especially love the republican town halls where conservatives are screaming mad about healthcare...the same republicans that called Obamacare a travesty. And liberals heads are exploding. My new popcorn machine is working overtime. I may have to buy like 5 more. :-)

Old 05-16-2017, 02:54 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I didn't vote for Trump. Then again, I didn't vote for Clinton either. At the end of the day, flaky as he was, only Gary Johnson seemed to have a legitimate case to be President. He at least did a good job running New Mexico.

But for those who voted for Trump, and did so in good faith, I have to ask this question: What's your breaking point?

From the ham-handed executive order on immigration to the complete fiasco on the rollback of the ACA to yesterday's revelation by Trump himself that he'd handed classified information to the Russians, when do you throw in the towel and just admit a mistake?

When do you say, "Jeez, I thought he'd do a much better job than he did"?
My breaking point is if he loses the election in 2020 or dies before then, nothing else. So far, Trump gets an A+ on his report card!

Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I feel it's inappropriate for me to even take the "lame stream media" argument serious, since it's entirely ridiculous, but what about the 57 missiles Trump fired on Syria? The media reported that, via an interview with the President himself. That wasn't a lie.

He declared war on Syria, essentially. The ONLY reason he can get away with doing this is because Syria does not have the resources to fight back. Had he done that to a country like China, they'd see that as an act of war and would retaliate. Many countries would, actually.

Imagine if Russia fired 57 missiles in the US. What would the reaction of the United State government be? Do you see the problem? The ability to declare war lies with congress, not the POTUS, but essentially every president since FDR has loosened the restrictions on what a president can and can't do with the military. Let's be very clear here, had the technology to do this existed when say Theodore Roosevelt was president, and he did this, they'd impeach the **** out of him for stepping over congress to declare war. Why is Mr. "make American great again" held to such a different standard?
first off where did you get the idea that trump declared war on syria? obama was the one that intervened in syria, trump is just continuing that intervention. so trump didnt start anything with syria. but if that is what the media is reporting, then they have been caught in a huge lie. so can you really trust them to properly report on trump?

second, the prsident, being commander in chief of the US military, can , according to the war powers act, wage war against anyone before having to stand before congress and make his case for continued funding for said war/military action. bush went to congress to get approval for the use of force in both iraq and afghanistan, and most democrats voted for said use of force. obama on the other hand bypassed congress for his military efforts in egypt, sryia, and lybia. the democrats in congress at the time authorized funding for those military efforts after the 90 days were up, although with syria it was the republicans that authorized the funding because they didnt want a government shut down.

so trump has NOT violated the war powers act, since the authorizations were already in place. try again.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I didn't vote for Trump. Then again, I didn't vote for Clinton either. At the end of the day, flaky as he was, only Gary Johnson seemed to have a legitimate case to be President. He at least did a good job running New Mexico.

But for those who voted for Trump, and did so in good faith, I have to ask this question: What's your breaking point?

From the ham-handed executive order on immigration to the complete fiasco on the rollback of the ACA to yesterday's revelation by Trump himself that he'd handed classified information to the Russians, when do you throw in the towel and just admit a mistake?

When do you say, "Jeez, I thought he'd do a much better job than he did"?
"So. Trump Voters. A Legitimate Question."

I thought you were going to ask a LEGITIMATE question?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

31 posts, read 14,239 times
I voted for Trump but I viewed him as the least of two evils. Some of the positions of democrats I can get on board with like healthcare, and college. I mean if it can be provided efficiently without adding to the deficit or debt, it's a good thing. Other things not so much. Letting a man using the woman's restroom? You don't see how that could turn out poorly especially with a pedophile? They've opened Pandora's box.

I know some will say, well you shouldn't let your kids go to the restroom by themselves or don't use public restrooms, but my question why create that situation in the first place? No one is gonna stop a man who looks like a woman from going into the woman's restroom.. But now a pedophile can openly do this...This is just an example of the insanity of some of the positions of the democrats.

Couple that with the rioting and the daily protests (when do these people work??), it's just been a complete turn off for me. I can't tell which party would poison the well more, democrats, republicans, or Trump.

Full disclosure: I'm not fan of the alt right either. Some of my best friends have been "minorities". And yes, I indeed said party of Trump, because there is a party of Trump.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first off where did you get the idea that trump declared war on syria? obama was the one that intervened in syria, trump is just continuing that intervention. so trump didnt start anything with syria. but if that is what the media is reporting, then they have been caught in a huge lie. so can you really trust them to properly report on trump?

second, the prsident, being commander in chief of the US military, can , according to the war powers act, wage war against anyone before having to stand before congress and make his case for continued funding for said war/military action. bush went to congress to get approval for the use of force in both iraq and afghanistan, and most democrats voted for said use of force. obama on the other hand bypassed congress for his military efforts in egypt, sryia, and lybia. the democrats in congress at the time authorized funding for those military efforts after the 90 days were up, although with syria it was the republicans that authorized the funding because they didnt want a government shut down.

so trump has NOT violated the war powers act, since the authorizations were already in place. try again.
Arming rebels (which I opposed) and firing missiles against the Syrian government are two different things.

I explained why I was calling it a declaration of war. You need to ream more carefully.

As for the War Powers Act, I would expect the man running on Making American great again" to repeal such an obvious affront to the constitution. In what universe does it make sense to allow the president to bomb a country (that possessed no real threat to us, by the way) yet the constitution states congress can only declare war? Again, if a country did to us what we did to Syria, would you seriously not consider that a declaration of war? If Iran fired 57 missiles at the US, would you sit and think "no, that's just a conflict; it's not a war." No, you wouldn't. And if you would, you're a fool.

By the way, I noticed you brought up Obama quite a lot. Some of us are smart enough to not see politics as blue and red. Just because I criticize Trump does not mean I think Obama was a god among men. He wasn't. His drone strikes and military intervention are just as repugnant to me, but Trump's actions go beyond what Obama did. He fired missiles at a sovereign state which he justified by siting an action taken by the government of Syria. That's different. It's also more relevant given the current circumstance. Any damage Obama did is done. Saying Trump is just continuing where Obama left off does not somehow make Trump blameless. We cannot rewrite what Obama did, for better or worse, but we can tell our current president that his actions were wrong.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet101 View Post
I voted for Trump but I viewed him as the least of two evils. Some of the positions of democrats I can get on board with like healthcare, and college. I mean if it can be provided efficiently without adding to the deficit or debt, it's a good thing. Other things not so much. Letting a man using the woman's restroom? You don't see how that could turn out poorly especially with a pedophile? They've opened Pandora's box.

I know some will say, well you shouldn't let your kids go to the restroom by themselves or don't use public restrooms, but my question why create that situation in the first place? No one is gonna stop a man who looks like a woman from going into the woman's restroom.. But now a pedophile can openly do this...This is just an example of the insanity of some of the positions of the democrats.

Couple that with the rioting and the daily protests (when do these people work??), it's just been a complete turn off for me. I can't tell which party would poison the well more, democrats, republicans, or Trump.

Full disclosure: I'm not fan of the alt right either. Some of my best friends have been "minorities". And yes, I indeed said party of Trump, because there is a party of Trump.
I don't understand the fear of pedophiles in bathrooms. There are plenty of gay pedophiles and frankly, even prior to new laws on gender identity and discrimination, it's not like bathrooms were heavily secured. A man with ill intent could easily get into a woman's restroom without trouble.

It's also worth noting, bathroom sexual assaults are extremely rare. States that had introduced new laws of this nature did not seem increases in them either. Your fear is entirely unwarranted.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Arming rebels (which I opposed) and firing missiles against the Syrian government are two different things.

I explained why I was calling it a declaration of war. You need to ream more carefully.

As for the War Powers Act, I would expect the man running on Making American great again" to repeal such an obvious affront to the constitution. In what universe does it make sense to allow the president to bomb a country (that possessed no real threat to us, by the way) yet the constitution states congress can only declare war? Again, if a country did to us what we did to Syria, would you seriously not consider that a declaration of war? If Iran fired 57 missiles at the US, would you sit and think "no, that's just a conflict; it's not a war." No, you wouldn't. And if you would, you're a fool.

By the way, I noticed you brought up Obama quite a lot. Some of us are smart enough to not see politics as blue and red. Just because I criticize Trump does not mean I think Obama was a god among men. He wasn't. His drone strikes and military intervention are just as repugnant to me, but Trump's actions go beyond what Obama did. He fired missiles at a sovereign state which he justified by siting an action taken by the government of Syria. That's different. It's also more relevant given the current circumstance. Any damage Obama did is done. Saying Trump is just continuing where Obama left off does not somehow make Trump blameless. We cannot rewrite what Obama did, for better or worse, but we can tell our current president that his actions were wrong.
obama did more than just arm the rebels, he ordered up air strikes against syrian government positions.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Thanks for proving my post.
Your reading comprehension is poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies