Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM

7,447 posts, read 7,046,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The House of Representatives approves two articles of impeachment against President Bill Clinton, charging him with lying under oath to a federal grand jury and obstructing justice.

President Clinton impeached - Dec 19, 1998 - HISTORY.com

But at this point... what difference does it make?
Both of which he did by the way, lost his law license for it for a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,695,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
The internet, especially places like this forum, is full of drama-queens. Liberal or conservative, right or left.
It is simple really. Just because you have people screaming impeach for little to no reason does mean this is what is going to happen and on the flip side just because another corner scream it does not matter what Trump does and they are behind him no matter what, or believe the accusations to be fake, if there is something that warrants impeachment it will be done. Relax.
You're a bit more optimistic than I am.

I see the protests, riots, attacks on cops, racial division, etc etc that appear to be constantly escalating and have become quite pessimistic.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I think it's been quite a while since we've been so divide to this extreme.

8,275 posts, read 7,973,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I think the only fix is reasonable people speaking out and hopefully reigning in the people who are normally reasonable but have gotten caught up in the madness.

Of course, a huge obstacle is the press. They have shirked pretty much all journalistic integrity for agenda and ratings.
We'll see. I still think that is ultimately just a case of an unhappy couple "staying together for the kids" though, rather than a healthy, functional nation-state.

7,447 posts, read 7,046,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Exactly what Russia wants by helping to elect a useful idiot in charge. They WANT the US to become destabilized. The ultimate goal of Russia IS probably to get their puppet impeached, because they know it'll incite unrest.
Between Obama having more flexibility after his election and HRC's reset and selling uranium interests to Russia and Podestas Russian interests, I'm pretty sure Putin would have loved doing business with the U$ with HRC as POTUS.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,695,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
We'll see. I still think that is ultimately just a case of an unhappy couple "staying together for the kids" though, rather than a healthy, functional nation-state.
Well, time will tell.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 PM

14,736 posts, read 14,721,976 times
Quote:

BTW, if you believe Clinton was impeached over sex, you are pretty ignorant of what happened. He committed perjury during a legal proceeding.
As did our current Attorney General....so?

Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,166,946 times
Quote:
Partisanship at this level hasn't been seen in quite some time.

BTW, if you believe Clinton was impeached over sex, you are pretty ignorant of what happened. He committed perjury during a legal proceeding.

I'm quite happy independent counsel was appointed; however, I don't know if the conclusions of Myeller will be accepted either way it might go.

My initial impression is that there will not be enough evidence (take your pick as to why) to impeach him, and due to the lather so many people are worked into, I think it will be a powder keg. Combine this with what the press is doing, and we could see unprecedented riots that will require National Guard response causing it to escalate out of control.

I'm also quite fearful of the possibility of Trump actually escalating the North Korea tensions as a way to help deal with this. I can see him thinking "Well, if we are on the brink of war, that'll force them to concentrate on what's important."

You bring up Clinton, which is appropriate, because he went on his bombing campaign as such a distraction.

Like I said, this crazy fervor is getting out of control and quite dangerous.
Actually, I was told that Clinton neglected to aggressively bomb Osama Bin Ladin because it would LOOk like he was trying to distract from the investigation into blowjob gate.

I don't think Trump will intentionally agitate NK. I think that little maniac Kim is well beyond being predictable in terms of what will set him off these days, though. I can't hold Trump responsible for that. I am more worried about his general ineptitude, and like you, I am concerned for the internal divisions here in the US.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,285,659 times
Quote:
You're a bit more optimistic than I am.

I see the protests, riots, attacks on cops, racial division, etc etc that appear to be constantly escalating and have become quite pessimistic.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I think it's been quite a while since we've been so divide to this extreme.
Part of that, IMHO, is also a byproduct of the social-media. We live in a world were basically everyone at any given time can be a (live) reporter. And we have access to so much more info of what is happening around the world andt country.
That doesn't cover the big riots per se but to a point I think cause and effect can't be discounted. If none or not as many of these police videos would have surfaced, who knows if there would have been a BLM for example. And with all the social media outlets available a "cause" can gain traction much quicker and much easier with a much more widespread audience.
So I'm not sure just how much, politics are to blame for that. The far left and far right were at each others throats a long time before Trump and Obama before him.
Speaking of Obama, he too was called all kind of things, that one could wonder if he was the incarnation of evil himself in the eyes of some. He was called a traitor, a muslim, kenyan and all types of attempts and claims were made why he is unfit. Nothing stuck with him however. We'll see if something sticks with Trump.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,916,972 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin
Frankly, I'd like Pence and Congress to cut to the chase and take him out citing the 25th. He's mentally unfit.
Yes what are they afraid of??????

Its unnerving all the supporters CANNOT SEE WHATS HAPPENING RedZin!!

I know 2 DIRE SUPPORTERS and if I try and talk against trump,they literally start yelling @ me!!!!!!!!

Quite bizarre and scary!!

Mr. Pence needs to do this!!!!!!! (OR SOMEONE DOES)

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,471,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
^^^ Yep that about says what Democrats stand for.
It says more about the times than who is President.

There are a lot of voters who have tried every alternative offered to them in the hopes that their faction will prevail in both parties. The nation started dividing itself back in the early 90s, and the fractures have deepened with every election since then.

I think everyone in America is aware of it to some degree. Politics is pervasive everywhere now, due to the rise of the internet, which began in the 90s, and every election has produced more frustration and anger in some voters than the last.

Trump was, as I thought from the first, the last great alternative that had not been tried already. While I never thought he would make it, that he did was no big surprise for me. He's the great political experiment than had never been tried in our history before, so I think it was inevitable that Trump, or someone just like him, would be elected sooner or later.

Every election is mostly based on faith. Faith that an individual's beliefs are the best for the nation, faith that enough others will see it the same way to prevail, and faith that the person who's getting the votes is the best choice who was available at the time.

Even when that faith is rewarded, disappointment always sets in. The Washington swamp exists because our government is the way it is. Ironically, our faith is what keeps it swampy. And the swamp may be a good thing, as the alternative is essentially starting over from scratch by throwing all the rascals out, including your favorites.
That would be exceedingly dangerous, as we are all just beginning to see what comes from hiring a rank beginner who had no experience and didn't know enough about the special nature of the job he now has. Imagine that in the House and the Senate. That's a real hair-raising, sweat breaking nightmare for you.

But even as violent as the past 8 years have been, sporadically, they didn't even come close to the violence in the years that preceded the Civil War, nor the social and regional divisions of that time.

I don't think the United States has the stomach for another such fight as that. But trying to lay the blame for all at only the feet of one party or the other sure doesn't help us mend our divisions.

And the great Trump experiment isn't far enough along to be able to predict its outcome just yet, either. I have expectations on its outcome, but they are only mine, and have no basis of fact in them.

Facts for a basis simply don't exist yet for such a thing as a novice outsider President who's a narcissist with no mental maturity.
No matter how he turns out, Trump will provide a basis that we can all use when judging a future President.

May all that follow be worthy of our confidence and votes. As for Trump, I guess we will all eventually see what becomes of him soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies