Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,621,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Partisanship is nothing new; there was an impeachment attempt on Clinton over lying about an extramarital affair that had nothing to do with governmental policy. Republicans who put up such a roadblock against all Obama judicial appointments Dems were forced to use the nuclear option on federal judges just to make the courts functional again. Republicans shutting down the government for weeks because they didn't want to compromise on a federal budget.
Need I go on?
Thank you! Now they want to make nice to save this country. Give me a damn break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Just pointing out that hyperpartisanship is nothing new, and is on-going, and has nothing to do with wanting an independent investigation into the Trump campaign.
Bill Clinton was impeached due to him committing perjury, and many Republicans didn't really want to impeach him over that.

I'd have to find the quote, but I think it was a Republican Senator from Alaska, Stevens maybe, who said he could be shown a picture of Clinton with a gun over a dead body and he still wouldn't vote to impeach.

This hyper partisanship is like nothing seen in modern times.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,487,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's start with this. I didn't vote for Trump. I don't like him as a person. He is a liar. He is a jackass. I don't trust him. I was always annoyed seeing his smug face promoting his dumb show.

I did like many of his promises, but I never believed he would really try to accomplish them.

I'd rather have Pence in the WH.

That being said, what is currently happening is horrible for our country.
The vicious partisanship where you have millions calling for impeachment due to convincing themselves that at one time he may have gotten loans from Russia and somehow owes Putin is insanity.

Do any of these fools understand that this won't end if Trump is impeached? It is going to devolve into such vindictiveness that I fear we could have a Constitutional crisis and actually see a coup, even a military coup.

I get that people are upset that this clown is in the WH. I get that it's scary to many people; however, it should be even more scary as to what this crazy, I mean insane, divisiveness could very easily lead to.

I think half this country would accept impeachment based on nothing more than resentment without understanding the inherent danger of it.

I just don't think many people see what can happen here and how troubling this is.
Waaaaay too late.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,563,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That being said, what is currently happening is horrible for our country. The vicious partisanship where you have millions calling for impeachment due to convincing themselves that at one time he may have gotten loans from Russia and somehow owes Putin is insanity.

Do any of these fools understand that this won't end if Trump is impeached? It is going to devolve into such vindictiveness that I fear we could have a Constitutional crisis and actually see a coup, even a military coup.
If you're saying that our President being in debt to Russia is not a matter for concern and investigation, I beg to differ.
Whether or not it led to impeachable actions, e.g. obstruction of justice: one step at a time and I'm content to let that decision lie with Congress. Neither vindictiveness nor viciousness is appropriate.

Like the late great Rep. Barbara Jordan, my faith in the Constitution is whole, complete, total. Her words are timely.
Quote:
Has the President committed offenses, and planned, and directed, and acquiesced in a course of conduct which the Constitution will not tolerate? That's the question. We know that. We know the question. We should now forthwith proceed to answer the question. It is reason, and not passion, which must guide our deliberations, guide our debate, and guide our decision.
Quote:
It is wrong, I suggest, it is a misreading of the Constitution for any member here to assert that for a member to vote for an article of impeachment means that that member must be convinced that the President should be removed from office. The Constitution doesn't say that. The powers relating to impeachment are an essential check in the hands of the body of the Legislature against and upon the encroachments of the Executive.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:00 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,812,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No worries. You'd probably get voted off the isle, anyway, if you are that blind in your devotion.
Well for people to listen you got to stop acting like a bunch of idiots and crying wolf over everything.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,381,393 times
My principal fear at this time is that our nation's 150-year history of peaceful transfers of power via free elections, and its place near the forefront of the world's tested democracies, is in danger. But if anyone out there believes that the Democrats' collection of their
own strain of the economically ignorant, led by a tasteless elite from the fantasyland of the entertainment racket, who count upon the poor dupes (and the conservatives they seek to stereotype, smear and disempower) to do their thankless, dirty jobs for them, are by any means more truthful or sincere, I have some prime Louisiana bottom-land that might interest you.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,693,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you're saying that our President being in debt to Russia is not a matter for concern and investigation, I beg to differ.
So, when I stated that I was happy to hear independent counsel would be investigating, was it Opposite Day?

This is symptom of what I'm talking about. People are so wrapped up in their preconceived ideas that they immediately make assumptions and ignore anything that may counter it.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,812,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
My principal fear at this time is that a 150-year history of peaceful transfers of power via free elections, and a place near the forefront of the world's tested democracies, is in danger.
Yes, I agree, the peaceful transfer of power is being fought by Democrats and our democracy is in danger and that's exactly what Putin wants.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
Sorry but you haven't been paying attention if you think this is simply "Trump may have gotten loans from Russia"

There is so much more than that, including knowingly putting in a national security advisor AT THE SAME TIME as that person was being paid to represent the interests of foreign powers, and he was given authority to create policy with respect to the foreign countries he was receiving money from.

This isn't about being a sore loser and it's not even about Trump's amply demonstrated incompetence to conduct himself as President. It's about corruption up and down this administration, very possibly including collusion with a foreign adversary to affect our election.

Anyone who thinks this is ok is not clear on what this country is supposed to be about.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,972,354 times
This division isn't a new phenomenon. At all. Take a look at a map of the Confederate and union states. It looks eerily similar to our current political cleavages. The truth is we really never should have been a single country to begin with. It took a lot of cajoling and shoving square pegs into round holes to make it happen.

The states that are blue now have consistently wanted more federal control whereas the current red states have always wanted primacy for the states. This is all confused by the fact that the Republicans used to be the urban party and are now the rural party, whereas the opposite transformation happened to the Democrats.

Bottom line is thinking we can all be a big happy family is naive and unrealistic. Southerners have always hated Yankees and yankees have always thought of Southerners as backwards imbeciles. What we are seeing now is simply the most current manifestation of the same divisions we've always had and have never overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies