Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Look, guys, I know it plays out well on internet forums, but it's really not playing out well for the Trump admin.

This is America, and while you may not like it, we do have a free press here and people can criticize those in power. That's kind of important. You know, the whole "we're a democracy and not a dictatorship" sort of thing.

Incessantly whining about the media and raging about how they need to be wiped off the face of the earth misses the point and doesn't achieve what you think it does.

It makes you look un-American. You want media that doesn't criticize the state? I can name a few places where you can move to.

It makes it look like you have a lot to hide and fear transparency.

It makes it look like you're highly reactive and unable to bring anything policy-wise to the table.

The way you fight the media is by bringing home some policy victories. How are op-eds about Trump inhibiting him from passing an infrastructure bill? Why can't he get smart enough to grow some thicker skin and focus on that?

And conservatives should also keep in mind the tone of the right-wing media these past eight years before you call the kettle black.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Nobody is saying there shouldn't be freedom of press, but it's true that the press are not acting like journalists but instead pushing an agenda and could care less about most facts.

Yes, I know some people are so partisan they can't see it.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
If you right wingers think all news is Fake news, go back to Fox where they will lie to you and tell you all the lies you want to hear about the Democrats. Think for yourself....

Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Nobody is saying there shouldn't be freedom of press, but it's true that the press are not acting like journalists but instead pushing an agenda and could care less about most facts.
Actually, I strongly suspect that outside of this forum, most people wouldn't perceive it so.

When the media puts out stories about Trump's conflicts of interest or that he hired his in-law to be on his cabinet, that's relevant and it matters.

When the media puts out stories about Trump's refusal to release tax returns when every other presidential candidate for the past 40 years has been willing to be transparent, that's relevant and it matters.

When the media put out stories about Trump's firing of Comey and the implications given the timing and the ongoing FBI investigation of his administration, that's relevant and it matters.

And it's ironic that you mention facts, when you have an administration here that has been caught red-handed in enormously brazen lies about even trivial things, like inaugural crowd sizes. The number of lies Trump has put out are staggering. When the media reports them, that's relevant and it matters.

I get that it doesn't play out in the way you want it, but that IS the media doing what the media should do. And if Trump doesn't want stories like this coming out, then he can start by not shooting himself in the foot with moves like the aforementioned. Instead, he seems to think that his conduct should just not be questioned.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Look, guys, I know it plays out well on internet forums, but it's really not playing out well for the Trump admin.

This is America, and while you may not like it, we do have a free press here and people can criticize those in power. That's kind of important. You know, the whole "we're a democracy and not a dictatorship" sort of thing.

Incessantly whining about the media and raging about how they need to be wiped off the face of the earth misses the point and doesn't achieve what you think it does.

It makes you look un-American. You want media that doesn't criticize the state? I can name a few places where you can move to.

It makes it look like you have a lot to hide and fear transparency.

It makes it look like you're highly reactive and unable to bring anything policy-wise to the table.

The way you fight the media is by bringing home some policy victories. How are op-eds about Trump inhibiting him from passing an infrastructure bill? Why can't he get smart enough to grow some thicker skin and focus on that?

And conservatives should also keep in mind the tone of the right-wing media these past eight years before you call the kettle black.
Most people in the media are on the left. Do you agree?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If you right wingers think all news is Fake news, go back to Fox where they will lie to you and tell you all the lies you want to hear about the Democrats. Think for yourself....
Yeah, but Fox does not pretend to be impartial. In the same manner I have no issues with MSNBC, they do not hide they are leftists. OTOH, CNN pretends to be down the middle, but in reality they are close to MSNBC.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Is this where they hear strange reports about the "deep state"? Sounds like conspiracy stuff. Sounds like "deep throat" from Watergate!

Deep Throat is the pseudonym given to the secret informant who provided information to Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein of The Washington Post, in 1972, ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Throat_(Watergate)

Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
Let me explain something. Conservatives love the Constitution. They love all the amendments except the ones they don't. They love the first amendment so long as the part about the free press is applied only to the media that agrees with their narrative and view. As a matter of fact, fittingly enough, this is the same view as their new hero Vladamir Putin, who also loves the Russian Constitution which promises all kinds of wonderful freedoms to its people, but also ignores those parts that he finds objectionable, in his sole and absolute opinion of course.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 05-19-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most people in the media are on the left. Do you agree?
I do, in fact. Yes, it leans on the whole more left than right. And no, I don't think that's necessarily the way it should be even though I tend to be socially liberal.

But even so, I think the kinds of things being called on Trump now - his conflicts of interest, his firing of Comey, etc. - are relevant...and self-inflicted by him.

And you're not going to just "get rid of the media," the way some on here seem to wish. I think the question is around how it evolves to better represent opinions across the spectrum. It will continue to re-calibrate and redefine. If CNN or whoever is not deemed relevant by enough people, then they will decline and someone else will rise.

The key thing is that the media IS there to question authority, and it needs to keep doing that. It's not supposed to play nicely with those in power. And authority figures in America have been chafing against that since the days of Lincoln and Jefferson.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Have you been critical about Democrats who break glass, throw bottles, set fires and burn cars, ram doors and break in to banks and other private offices to shut down the free speech of people they don't agree with? This is what your party thinks of the First Amendment.

And by the way, we are not a "democracy," we are a Republic.

With freedom of speech and freedom of the press comes responsibility. The "mainstream media" today are propagandists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies