Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:42 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,276,650 times

Advertisements

High crimes and misdemeanors is a term meant to cover a broad range of crimes. And treason and bribery had common understandings at the time the Constitution was ratified. Without pointing to any law that Trump broke, there can be no serious talk of impeachment. Sure, in theory Congress could impeach the president even if the president broke no law. But while the courts are often skeptical about stepping into the middle of political battles, moving to impeach for a non-crime would be beyond a political battle and the courts would have no trouble stepping up in such a scenario. Even if there is disagreement about what high crimes and misdemeanors means exactly, there can be little serious disagreement that the phrase refers to criminal wrongdoing. And as Trump and associates are not alleged to have broken any crimes as Dershowitz points out, impeachment isn't a serious conversation worth having. Of course, from a political standpoint impeachment is off the table anyway in the absence of criminal wrongdoing as Ryan wouldn't allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 02:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,737,405 times
According to Dershowitz using the office of POTUS to halt a FBI investigation of a comrade and appointee is not Obstruction? I'd like to hear from other "respected" legal minds on that subject.

And what a hoot, that Trump supporters are turning to Dershowitz for comfort! Ahahahahahaha

Maybe Fox and Tucker Carlson would only give Alan the free media if he gave them hope?

Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,305,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't mind an investigation if there are actual, credible allegations of criminal wrongdoing. But, like Alan Dershowitz has stated, no one has produced any law that President Trump/his campaign would have violated with his/their decisions. Otherwise, an investigation--specifically a DOJ investigation--seems to be a waste of time and money. Note, I don't have an inherent problem with Congress investigating, even if there are no allegations of lawlessness as Congress can be political, while DOJ should not be.

As for emails, that was a criminal probe where the law at issue/allegations of wrongdoing were clear. Benghazi was a Congressional probe, which I already spelled out a key difference.
Wasting time and money, is the only thing that our 'esteemed' representatives in congress know how to do. They are the all time masters at it.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,484,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
According to Dershowitz using the office of POTUS to halt a FBI investigation of a comrade and appointee is not Obstruction? I'd like to hear from other "respected" legal minds on that subject.

And what a hoot, that Trump supporters are turning to Dershowitz for comfort! Ahahahahahaha

Maybe Fox and Tucker Carlson would only give Alan the free media if he gave them hope?
It`s called whistling in the graveyard. Trump is toast and those with measurable IQs know it.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times
Default What's the crime? Dershowitz: Special cousel might help Trump

So far, there is no evidence of any crime. No evidence of Russian involvement. Nothing. So why the special counsel? Deshowitz says there shouldn't be one, and it will in the end help Trump.

Dershowitz questions Russia counsel: Where's the crime? | On Air Videos | Fox News

Dershowitz says there is no obstruction of justice even if Trump did tell the FBI to end the investigation [of Flynn]; that isn't obstruction of justice because the President has the right to direct the FBI.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:45 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,373,867 times
When this ends, the loony left and demetiacrats will then cry:

Trump got help from the ______________ getting off on all 'charges'.

Maxine the fool will restart her stupid rambling......

The established political media will continue their collusion with each other to seditiously undermine the current administration till the next election and beyond.

The few remaining dementiacrats in office will continue to try to stalemate every piece of legislation they can.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Obviously, everyone above are Trump supporters...
Or supporters of the rule of law, something that seems to be foreign to the bleating masses...

Old 05-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe he'll be right. I'll be the first to say that I don't know on any factual basis that Trump did anything illegal. Maybe he'll come through clean. And I highly doubt Trump will be impeached like some are saying.

The difference between me and you is that I want the investigation to be carried out and for the truth to come out either way. You want to conclude and make things go away before facts are known. Why is Trump working overtime to obstruct the investigation? Given how he made it worse thus far, resolution of the investigation should be in his favor rather than cover up. If he has nothing to hide, this will only strengthen him.

You guys pushed Benghazi for YEARS. Hillary was dogged by her emails for a long, long time. Both of those are fine - investigate away - but why are you so selective in what you want looked into?
I agree with Dershowitz, the Special Counsel is wrong and the way it should have gone is an independent commission open to the public so we can see the examination of all parties and make our own decisions as voters.

THAT would have made the Democrats look like upfront and concerned legislators unlike how it looks now...

Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,603,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I agree with Dershowitz, the Special Counsel is wrong and the way it should have gone is an independent commission open to the public so we can see the examination of all parties and make our own decisions as voters.

THAT would have made the Democrats look like upfront and concerned legislators unlike how it looks now...
Dems are the majority party ¿???????

Old 05-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Obstruction of justice is a crime, it's what brought down Nixon.
You're right, it is BUT nothing Trump has said (based on Comey memo) rises to that level and won't no matter how hard the MSM and some in congress try to push that narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies