Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

I really believe we are starting to reach a tipping point in America. We have two completely different Americas with two completely different visions of what this country is and what it should be. Any kind of reconciliation is impossible as long as both sides continue to get all their news from sources that are tailored to their political biases and dismiss all others as "fake news." The hatred between the two sides is unlike anything I've ever seen. It wasn't this bad even during the Bush years and they were quite polarized years.

If the country were to split, it would likely be the former Confederate states that would leave, with the exception of Virginia but Oklahoma would join the new Confederacy instead. It would quickly devolve into a second-world theocratic plutocracy. It would be like the show "A Handmaid's Tale" except probably not quite that oppressive. You wouldn't want to be caught being LGBT, atheist, or practicing any non-Christian faith in the new Confederacy however. The rest of the country would become a social democracy and would look more like Canada or the Nordic countries. I believe quality of life would remain First World, though it might not be the same kind of superpower the United States was. For the most part though, every day life would go on as it always has.

I want to add that I in NO WAY support splitting the country. I think this country needs liberal/conservative and urban/rural worldviews to keep everything in check. However, at the way things are going I am wondering if there is a real way forward and if it's possible that we will ever be united as Americans again. With all the hate between ideologies as well as how we consume our news today, I fear that we may be headed towards a real crisis that will test the very survival of this country.

I am starting to think re-instating the "Fairness Doctrine" for the media might be our best path forward. I used to be heavily against this when it was discussed back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but now that we've seen the fruits of where propaganda-tainted media gets us, I am reconsidering that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Meh. Tensions ebb and flow. We have no idea what the political climate will be like in 10 or 12 or 15 years. Don't let your imagination get the better of you, OP. You're getting kind of carried away with scenarios. Fasten your seatbelt, and ride it out. May I offer you some popcorn? Beverage?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Lincoln killed over a half a million in his war to keep that from happening, and so would any subsequent regime.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618
I really believe we are starting to reach a tipping point in America. We have two completely different Americas with two completely different visions of what this country is and what it should be.
Yes and its amazing... On sites like this is the only place I see both sides talking about it!

In person people just wont talk to you @ all... OR THEY START YELLING LIKE A 2 YEAR OLD! (Which has happend to me)

Old 05-21-2017, 10:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Nope.

It's not inevitable.

Too many people don't understand commerce.

LOL.

Who'd even ask such a question?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times
The last breakup of this country happened in the 1850s/1860s. Look how well that turned out.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:02 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,819 times
The divide in America today isn't between blue states and red states but urban vs rural. I don't see how a division of the two would be possible. Our differences only seem big until you step back and look at America as a whole and compare it to another country. We have a common culture that is so potent that other countries worry about being overwhelmed by it, that is probably enough to hold us together in the long run. Even blacks and whites in the US have more in common with each other than either of us have with people in France, Brazil or India.

China has existed in various forms for 2,000 years and is still whole. I think the US will be the same. People like to think of the US as the new Rome, but in many ways we are the new China - a continental power with a relatively homogeneous culture.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
The government is completely dysfunctional. Peaceful secession is better than another civil war.

Ideally it would have been done long ago before the start of the first civil war, not letting the south secede was a big mistake.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The divide in America today isn't between blue states and red states but urban vs rural.
I agree, since Prohibition the divide has been rural vs city. You can't break up the country that way.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The government is completely dysfunctional. Peaceful secession is better than another civil war.

Ideally it would have been done long ago before the start of the first civil war, not letting the south secede was a big mistake.
Maybe so, however, the civil war sealed the deal ...

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06...united-states/

"is it actually legal for Texas to leave the United States?

Simply put, the answer is no. Historical and legal precedents make it clear that Texas could not pull off a Texit — at least not legally.

“The legality of seceding is problematic,” said Eric McDaniel, associate professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin. “The Civil War played a very big role in establishing the power of the federal government and cementing that the federal government has the final say in these issues.”"

They talk of a calexit, but I don't see it happening, ever.

Adding quote from the article ...

“If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede.”— Antonin Scalia, late Supreme Court Justice

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-21-2017 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: add quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies