Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 10:18 AM

268 posts, read 227,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Birth control pills should be available without prescription. Why didn't Obama simply get that done while he was in office? You know Trump isn't going to do it. They should be as inexpensive to use as Nexium or other PPIs are.
Because the Rep's opposed him at every opportunity from accomplishing anything like that. You haven't been keeping up. The christian radicals who believe birth control causes *GASP!* the sin of fornication would never allow free BC to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think my point contradicts yours.

My point is

"Defunding" Planned Parenthood should mean that the federal government provides no funds to Planned Parenthood and cannot tell it what to do or not do with its own funds.

In my opinion, The federal government has no business providing taxpayer funds to a private organization like Planned Parenthood.

I never said PP never did good things for poor women.
Your point does contradict because your "opinion" is based on the false premise that the government is just giving PP money as funding.

In the real world, "defunding" Planned Parenthood is a misnomer.

How funding actually works: Medicaid Patient A received pap smear. Planned Parenthood bills Medicaid (government) for that Pap Smear. Planned Parenthood gets paid.

So "defunding" is nothing more than saying that Planned Parenthood cannot bill Medicaid nor receive funds for services rendered to patients with Medicaid. Ergo, Medicaid patients and those covered for services under Title X have to either pay out of pocket or seek a new provider.

All "defunding" does is force patients to find a new provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
There are a ton more places to go..PP isn't the only place. I don't know a single female that has EVER gone to PP.
Plenty of females on this board have claimed to use PP's services.

Hi. I'm a female and I've been using Planned Parenthood since I was 16 to get my pap smears done.

Quote:
Birth control pills should be available without prescription. Why didn't Obama simply get that done while he was in office? You know Trump isn't going to do it. They should be as inexpensive to use as Nexium or other PPIs are.
Perhaps when we are able to tell if a given birth control option is actually being effective for a given person. Right now, the only test of "is it working" is when it fails and suddenly there's a baby. Ergo, making it an OTC medication would probably lead to some hefty "false advertising" lawsuits.

There are also a huge variety of side effects up to and including death from blood clots. Some of this stuff should really be talked about with a doctor.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:12 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The thing is that you should not be allowed to end a unique human life just because it is an inconvenience to you. If that's the case, anyone who needs help to survive should be subject to death at the whim of his or her provider.

I never knew you liberals were such extreme social Darwinists. I guess you'll be whatever you have to be in order to preserve the "right" to make poor decisions and kill your unborn children. Sad.
women like men have a right to control their own lives how they see fit. we also have the right to privacy. our medical choices are ours, it isn't a collective decision made by the opinions of strangers.

anyone who needs help to "survive" can be helped by anyone who wants the job of doing so. not true with pregnancy, that is on no one but the woman herself. she has the right to choice. end of story. not your business or mine. only hers.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:26 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Killing anybody is wrong.

But we are fine with killing people in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan... Some of them are children.

Ending ACA will result in thousands of deaths, some of them children.. No one seems too upset about that.

Some are fine with executing people, limited mental capacity or not.

Once these precious babies are born, there seems to be mighty little enthusiasm for seeing that they are cared for.

So peddle your self-righteous rationalizations somewhere else. We're all stocked up on crazy here.
Maybe you need to see Jack Nicholson for some Anger Management.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No, what's ignorant is to think that PP is the only place to go. There isn't even one around where I live and the poor baby making machines seem to make out just fine.
Yes there are other health care providers, the only thing ignorant is to think that making it more difficult for poor women to receive health care will accomplish anything. You could close every PP clinic and abortions would still occur, probably more so, so what is the goal.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:26 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
In the real world, pregnancy and delivery is not ten minutes of pain. In the real world, pregnancy and delivery can have permanent side effects, including death.
Oh is that what they were trying to say? The weird stuff about extending a month and maybe 100 years didn't really make any sense at all.

With my pregnancies, around halfway through I get a condition where it's incredibly painful to walk because of my hips loosening up too much. Even sitting can be painful because, with the slightest shift by accident, it triggers some pain. Can continue for a few weeks even after the baby comes until the hormones go away. Some people even end up on crutches/wheelchairs/etc.

That's in addition to the other regular complaints, though thankfully I never had much morning sickness.

I was induced both times and it took a sorta "short" (by labor standards) 12 hours to happen each time.

I'm not trying to excuse abortions; I think they're sad and horrible, etc. Just trying to clarify what even just a moderate pregnancy is like to make a more realistic picture in conjunction with that comment. That's not to mention how much your everyday life and options change with a kid.

I am reluctantly mildly pro-choice simply because outlawing them will not make them go away and just cause other problems to also crop up. Work on education, birth control, adoption options, etc.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Your point does contradict because your "opinion" is based on the false premise that the government is just giving PP money as funding..

Then accept mine is different. Agree to disagree.

I did not suggest such a thing. by the way. I never suggested government is just giving PP money as funding. I don't know where you got that from.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
This is something I disagree with. Having a prescription is important because you really have no idea how BC will affect your health. Some women have bad reactions to certain types of BC.

--

On a different note, adoption is not a reasonable response to "I'm pregnant and I don't want to be". Someone who doesn't want a baby likely doesn't want to be pregnant either.

The current system works fine. If you need an abortion, go have one. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one. Seems pretty simple.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueFreak View Post
Only 2 of the "clinics" are in "rural" areas. One has 10k people and other has 27k people. The rest are in massive cities....I HIGHLY DOUBT in a city of 10k and one of 27k there aren't other doctor offices that accept medicaid for REAL medical female issues like pregnancy...now if they want baby murder then they can enjoy going to the big city to do it.
Medicaid is being slashed, though, per the new budget that's proposed. Fewer people will have insurance, and the insurance some will have, will cover less. In some cities, many doctors are already refusing to accept Medicaid patients. That's why free clinics are needed.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Am I right to assume that most of the posters here are too old to reproduce so access to birth control means nothing to them?
That doesn't mean that birth control never meant anything to them, but we aren't talking birth control as PP could have remained open providing women's health services which included birth control, but they insisted on stopping the beating heart of the pre-born, and even PP agreed that abortion stopped a beating heart! You can get birth control at the grocery store, big box store, drug store, numerous websites and those on Medicaid and some other insurance plans provide that to include sterilization for those that do not want to have children or additional children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueFreak View Post
I'm not no. Why do you assume most here are?
It was an odd question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Because this forum is full of crazy far right wingers and crazy right wingers tend to be old.
And crazy left wingers tend to be young or 70+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Outside of direct self defense, I do not believe anyone has a right to take the life of another.

Be it abortion, death penalty or unjust wars. I'm not sure if that is a crazy right wing position or not? What do you think?
Agree. Respect for the lives of all and preserving them should be a human position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Access to birth control? That's not what Planned Parenthood is about and you know it.

A condom can be purchased for under a dollar. You can buy them at most gas stations.

A 30 day supply of birth control pills can be purchased at both Walmart and Target for 9 dollars.

There is no problem with access to birth control.
Exactly. And, again, PP wouldn't give up the abortion business feeling that was more critical than actually offering women's health service, which doesn't include ripping a baby from their womb! Birth control starts before conception.

In past decades, couples were able to control the size of their families without abortion, of course, they weren't having drunk and drugged sex which I suspect is a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies