Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Lets try to keep this about the subject at hand and not about the North Versus the South. If your in the South what does the Symbol mean to you?

What does it mean to me personally?? Well first off, the image wouldn't display but I'm assuming it's the standard confederate battle flag. It means nothing to me. I don't own one and never will. But I don't decry someone's right to own one if they should so choose. And really the confederate flag isn't so much a north vs. south thing. I've seen them plenty of times north of the old line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 02:56 PM

62 posts, read 312,102 times
Default Did anyone see the Billy Ray Cyrus Special?

A little off topic but I recently watched the Billy Ray Cyrus special - I think it was called "The History of the Hillbilly". It was really interesting and it explained how they got the nickname Redneck. It had to do with coal mines and union workers and they wore red bandanas around their necks so others would know they were there for the union. It was actually a very interesting special.

Back to topic. I'm a northerner. When I see this flag, I do not think racist. Not at all. Makes me realize I'm down south. Makes me think some are still living in the past. War is over! However, I do not have ill feelings toward them. I think Redneck or Rebel but not hatred.

I will happily laugh at myself for some of the things us "Yankee's" do or how us from Jerzee talk and I'm sure they can laugh at some of their "Redneck" qualities. Live and Let Live.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
See, now I never think "south" when I hear Redneck. I am just about as far Northeast as you can get and still be in the US, and we are called Rednecks ALL the time. For me a Redneck is somebody that doesn't live in a large city and doesn't really care to either. Bugs the crap-o-la out of the masses who have to deal with traffic jams, crazy prices, rudeness, and wall to wall people; when they see us living at a slower pace, and happy with it. Call us Rednecks because we must be "dumber and number" because we don't pay $50 for a haircut, or $1500 for a studio apartment. North or South doesn't matter.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:54 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times
to me, the confederate flag represents hate, thus, i think of the KKK when i think of this disgusting flag. i don't are what else it represents. the fact that this flag was flown on the belief that slavery is okay is RACIST!

every openly racist person i know loves this flag! it's synonymous with the swastika to them. enough said!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,953 times
My US history class and the civil war.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
My US history class and the civil war.
And what did that teach you? Your history class may of been different than mine.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 PM

57 posts, read 324,820 times
When I see the confederate flag I think of the war between the states which I fully believe we were on the right side of. I think of my family who fought in that war. I think of the pride southerners had then and still have now for our beautiful 13 states, our way of life, our heritage, states rights. So many things.
I feel very proud to be southern when I see the confederate flag. I see it often, I fly one myself.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM

128 posts, read 347,582 times
That's like asking what I think the following symbol means. Some think it's a relic of a thankfully bygone era...a symbol of an oppressive, discredited ideology...a symbol of a time when rights only belonged to the "superior" (in below's case, the dictators and the party they belonged to).

But that's just me--I know some people think the stars and bars are somehow representative of their proud "heritage" or legacy (a legacy of what?, one might ask). I also know below is reprehensible to those who suffered under the system it represented (communism). Could it be the Confederate flag conjures a similar thing? But, substitue the Confederate or Soviet flag with any other flag--someone will have a visceral reaction to it.

Wow, what power a flag can have!

Last edited by RFinDE; 03-10-2008 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction

Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMama View Post
When I see the confederate flag I think of the war between the states which I fully believe we were on the right side of. I think of my family who fought in that war. I think of the pride southerners had then and still have now for our beautiful 13 states, our way of life, our heritage, states rights. So many things.
I feel very proud to be southern when I see the confederate flag. I see it often, I fly one myself.
Wow..just wow.

Sure, keeping my ancestors as slaves was the right thing to do. Nothing wrong about it at all. It was totally justified by...

Get out of here.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM

57 posts, read 324,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Wow..just wow.

Sure, keeping my ancestors as slaves was the right thing to do. Nothing wrong about it at all. It was totally justified by...

Get out of here.
Look there were slaves in more places than just the south. There is slavery today. My family didn't own slaves. There was a whole lot more to the war between the states than slavery. You can be as upset as you would like though. I've seen black folks fly the flag as well, what do you say to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies