Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough, I'm pretty much okay with the federal government doing very little. The less they do, the more of my paycheck I get to keep.

This Russia dog and pony show has gotten way out of hand. Unnamed sources and leaking and all kinds of other unverifiable stuff being put out in the media is not helping anything. It's time to put the evidence forth or drop this mess and put it behind us. We've got too many elected officials craving the spotlight to call for impeachment and more investigations. Seriously, put up or shut up. This country needs to have this story put behind us regardless of the outcome. One side will be relieved, the other will be infuriated, but it needs to end.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord, I think, was a good move. We can still develop technologies to control our pollution without having to bankroll other countries who essentially get a pass, or just don't even play along. I fail to see how the US giving billions of dollars to other countries is in our best interest. Don't we have enough to worry about here? Homelessness, drugs, crime, etc.?

And the repeal of the PPACA, that's going to get messy. It's hard to give free stuff away and then remain popular when you take it away. Sure, lots of people got really cheap insurance out of the deal. What about the people who make too much to qualify for subsidies but not enough to afford this insurance? We've still got too many people who think health insurance means healthcare. Great, we gave a couple million people health insurance. That doesn't make them healthy, or even likely to go to a doctor, or even heed their advice on actual health.

Unfortunately, the genie has been let out of the bottle and there is no putting it back in. Well, there might be but it's going to hurt.

Anyone expecting healthcare to be overhauled in 100 days is delusional. It would be a miracle if it got overhauled in 2 years time. The PPACA was not built overnight. I'd have to believe it was built over the course of several years, bargaining and horsetrading in the background, until there was a suitable Congress to get it passed, knowing the opposition from the Republicans would stop it should they have enough votes. Obama just happened to have that majority.

My hopes for the Trump admin are to work on healthcare reform, secure our borders/reduce illegal immigration, protect our soil from terrorism as best he can without infringing on out liberties, pass the Hearing Protection Act, and weed out the leakers and partisan bureaucratic hacks that will compromise our country out of spite for the other party (both R and D). I'd kind of like to see the EPA knocked down a peg or two along with the ATF and a few other wasteful or redundant agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
This thread is an absolute joke. It demonstrates how dumb the MSM watchers really are.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What have they accomplished, what significant legislation?

Getting government intrusion out of our lives.... Government does not know what is best for you.... Haven't you noticed?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
So WHEN is Trump and Congress going to actually do something?
Probably never. It is complete chaos with Trump and others splashing around in the swamp.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This thread is an absolute joke. It demonstrates how dumb the MSM watchers really are.
So, in other words, you have nothing what so ever to say on anything they posted. Noted

Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM

937 posts, read 699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Gee, I don't watch MSM, is that another of those capitalist Republican channels like that Fox News, you know the ones that complain about someone taking their money??

Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb So WHEN is Trump and Congress going to actually do something?

The answer:

No time soon.

As long as tRump keeps behaving like a spoiled child who's denying that it was him with his hand in the cookie jar, the GOP agenda will remain paralyzed. Yet, Pubs own the federal government and most state governments. They hold ALL the levers of power.

So amusing that they like to blame "the media" for all the stupid things tRump says and does.

The party of "personal responsibility."

Old 06-12-2017, 12:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pubs own the federal government and most state governments. They hold ALL the levers of power.

So amusing that they like to blame "the media" for all the stupid things tRump says and does.

The party of "personal responsibility."

For 8 years they whine about how they can do everything better so they are given full control of everything and they havent a clue what to do and instead flounder around like drunken idiots blaming the media,blaming democrats blaming intel,blaming Obama,blaming Hillary ,turning the world against America etc. and because things arent going their way through their own incompetence they do what they do best=Hate/blame.
http://evilgopbastards.com/

Old 06-12-2017, 12:30 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The people who believe that increasing and centralizing. rather than reducing the size and influence of government, are the biggest part of the problem. Return more issues to local oversight, where people know their neighbors -- and the local "dead weight" can be recognized, stigmatized and weeded out. Above all, break up and reform the worst excesses of public employee unionism -- especially in the schools; encourage home-schooling, and privatize wherever possible.
grat- can't wait for all those homeschooled people operating locally and not-centralized to figure out how to deal with China's growing influence or N Korea's military and the local level, my neighbor must have a great idea. Maybe he can help me with my health insurance and working to get banks to keep tier 1 capital requirements in place as well. Oh wait, he can't b/c he lost his arm on a 12th hour of OT b/c we got rid of any unions....:smac k:

Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Oddly enough, I'm pretty much okay with the federal government doing very little. The less they do, the more of my paycheck I get to keep.

This Russia dog and pony show has gotten way out of hand. Unnamed sources and leaking and all kinds of other unverifiable stuff being put out in the media is not helping anything. It's time to put the evidence forth or drop this mess and put it behind us. We've got too many elected officials craving the spotlight to call for impeachment and more investigations. Seriously, put up or shut up. This country needs to have this story put behind us regardless of the outcome. One side will be relieved, the other will be infuriated, but it needs to end.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord, I think, was a good move. We can still develop technologies to control our pollution without having to bankroll other countries who essentially get a pass, or just don't even play along. I fail to see how the US giving billions of dollars to other countries is in our best interest. Don't we have enough to worry about here? Homelessness, drugs, crime, etc.?

And the repeal of the PPACA, that's going to get messy. It's hard to give free stuff away and then remain popular when you take it away. Sure, lots of people got really cheap insurance out of the deal. What about the people who make too much to qualify for subsidies but not enough to afford this insurance? We've still got too many people who think health insurance means healthcare. Great, we gave a couple million people health insurance. That doesn't make them healthy, or even likely to go to a doctor, or even heed their advice on actual health.

Unfortunately, the genie has been let out of the bottle and there is no putting it back in. Well, there might be but it's going to hurt.

Anyone expecting healthcare to be overhauled in 100 days is delusional. It would be a miracle if it got overhauled in 2 years time. The PPACA was not built overnight. I'd have to believe it was built over the course of several years, bargaining and horsetrading in the background, until there was a suitable Congress to get it passed, knowing the opposition from the Republicans would stop it should they have enough votes. Obama just happened to have that majority.

My hopes for the Trump admin are to work on healthcare reform, secure our borders/reduce illegal immigration, protect our soil from terrorism as best he can without infringing on out liberties, pass the Hearing Protection Act, and weed out the leakers and partisan bureaucratic hacks that will compromise our country out of spite for the other party (both R and D). I'd kind of like to see the EPA knocked down a peg or two along with the ATF and a few other wasteful or redundant agencies.
so I guess you pay no state or local taxes and plan to not use roads, hospitals, police or fire, the internet, enjoy poison free food and medicine or any of the other things taxes pay for. Also assuming you'll turn down Social Security as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies