Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

I think Jimmy Carter is a class act. So was his wife. Last President to actually care about the people.

Great to see him still getting around.

Wish I had been there to meet him.

https://twitter.com/JayShef/status/872949498431119366
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times
As a human being, I don't think there was a better or more sincere person to have sat in the Oval Office. Whatever you thought of his policies or his presidency, he has a humaneness that always comes through.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,169,102 times
You can debate his presidency but not his character. He is a class act!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think Jimmy Carter is a class act. So was his wife. Last President to actually care about the people.
https://twitter.com/JayShef/status/872949498431119366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
As a human being, I don't think there was a better or more sincere person to have sat in the Oval Office. Whatever you thought of his policies or his presidency, he has a humaneness that always comes through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post

I agree with you all. He may have not been the most effective leader, but he is a virtuous, gentle, honest man. Happy to see him kicking cancer's ass!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I wonder if there was anyone who refused to shake his hand?

In the years to come what would happen if Bush, Obama and Trump made the same trip down the aisle?
Carter like all Presidents did some good popular things and some not so good.
The same can be said for every President.

I am no fan of Obama but I would shake his hand. I don't agree with half the things Trump is doing but I would shake his hand too.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Quote:
MI

Wow, think we found something we can all agree on!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
The Secret Service books all indicate he was a big micromanaging phony. This particular book, which covered the families between JFK and Obama period (presumably because those agents were still alive to tell their stories) made it clear that Carter was the worst (but they seemed to like Miss Lillian, Carter's mother). It does not talk about anything political merely how the families (and a few others with Secret Service protection) treated the hired help and acted in private (the Bush twins were a handful) plus problems of the Secret Service. They seemed to like Barbara Bush the best. I have the book but here is some info from it on Jimmy Carter:

"In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes With Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect" by Ronald Kessler

Secret Service Hated Jimmy Carter

Obama just got into office when the book was published but I assume they were assigned to him as a candidate, too. They liked him and Biden and again, we're talking about how they treated people who worked in the White House (and their pilots/drivers).

Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder if there was anyone who refused to shake his hand?

In the years to come what would happen if Bush, Obama and Trump made the same trip down the aisle?
Carter like all Presidents did some good popular things and some not so good.
The same can be said for every President.

I am no fan of Obama but I would shake his hand. I don't agree with half the things Trump is doing but I would shake his hand too.
I think few if any would refuse to shake the hand of Bush. Some might refuse Obama's and more would refuse Trump's. I also think a fair amount might refuse Bill Clinton's; he'd receive some of the animosity from his wife.

I'd shake all their hands.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Totally agree with you and I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with the OP on anything.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Some might also be surprised that Carter was also a nuclear engineer.

He personally put his own life in danger and traveled to the Three Mile Island nuclear plant to help diffuse that issue as it was getting out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies