Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Huh? That sounds like something the shooter in Virginia would have said.
That is the mentality here. Pure ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 05:26 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
pssst...Marleinie wants all of your money, not the measly 24%.
Exactly. She thinks it was stolen from those less fortunate.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Zugor

I think you better do a little research on the Walton's and not believe all the crap you read that is published by the left wing media. They have plenty of full time employees for starters. It is simply a ***** many have because they are not unionized. WalMart offers good benefits and many employees have been with the company for decades. Yes, many also only work short hours, and do not all reap benefits, but have you seen considered some of the people they are willing to hire? Many of these employees are happy to have fobs. They are not always the most desired employees or have disabilities that make finding employment difficult. i

Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The Fortune 500 companies pay little or no taxes:

Profitable Companies, No Taxes - New York Times
As has been explained numerous times here on city-data, that's a good thing. Here's why...

You want to know who REALLY gets those corporate profits? Guess who benefited? Guess who the US's biggest investor is? It's not some rich 1%-er. It's CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System. They need corporate profits to fund California's public employee retirees' pensions. The same is true in every city, state, and even the Fed Gov. We're talking police, fire department, teachers, etc., etc. They're all public employees and their pensions and retirement benefits could not be paid without corporate profits.
Quote:
"Can you name the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett; as a matter of fact, it is not a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System"...

Exxon
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase
The Ten Largest Holding of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

In aggregate, America's workers and retirees have $27 trillion invested in equities, etc., in their pension plans and retirement accounts.
Quote:
$27 trillion in pension/retirement investments means lots of attention

Again, all those workers' and retirees' pensions and retirement benefits *could not be paid* without corporate profits, which benefit from low/no corporate taxes.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:52 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

In order for them to "distribute all their money" they would need to liquidate assets. In doing so, you'll find there's a stark difference between Market Value and Salvage Value.
Sometimes. But if I sell $10k in JNJ on Monday that I bought for $5K, after I pay $10 in brokerage fees, I might owe 10% long term cap gains on $5K in gains. $9,490 not what I consider "salvage value". And depending on my taxable income in the year I sell, I may get $9990 back.

In theory I could have $2 million in a retirement fund, half of which is basis, and receive $150,000 in an annual disbursement and pay zero taxes, since only half would qualify as income and my effective tax rate would be in the 15% bracket filing jointly. Long term cap gains under 75,300 (15% bracket) is taxed at zero percent and my state does not tax retirement income.

Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As has been explained numerous times here on city-data, that's a good thing. Here's why...

You want to know who REALLY gets those corporate profits? Guess who benefited? Guess who the US's biggest investor is? It's not some rich 1%-er. It's CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System. They need corporate profits to fund California's public employee retirees' pensions. The same is true in every city, state, and even the Fed Gov. We're talking police, fire department, teachers, etc., etc. They're all public employees and their pensions and retirement benefits could not be paid without corporate profits.
The Ten Largest Holding of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

In aggregate, America's workers and retirees have $27 trillion invested in equities, etc., in their pension plans and retirement accounts.
$27 trillion in pension/retirement investments means lots of attention

Again, all those workers' and retirees' pensions and retirement benefits *could not be paid* without corporate profits, which benefit from low/no corporate taxes.
Big deal, they'll just have to accept lower rates of return, and adjust their contributions accordingly.

You've posted this several dozen times, it just isn't the silver bullet you seem to think. (Also that $27t includes real estate, public bonds, foreign stock, etc. which are not relevant to the domestic corp. tax rate.)

Old 06-18-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I would feel that there was no need to study or to advance in life, no reason to set up a business or be entrepreneurial.

I think innovation and advancement in many areas would be curtailed as there would be no point.

However I don't think this will realistically happen across the globe, and if any one country tried it then the money and jobs would just be moved out of that country along with the talented, intelligent and ambitious.
Exactly. Great post!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Big deal, they'll just have to accept lower rates of return, and adjust their contributions accordingly.

You've posted this several dozen times, it just isn't the silver bullet you seem to think. (Also that $27t includes real estate, public bonds, foreign stock, etc. which are not relevant to the domestic corp. tax rate.)
I never said it was a "silver bullet." The point is that if corporations earn less in profits and/or are taxed more, tens if not a hundred million or more Americans will be plunged into abject poverty in retirement.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The point is that if corporations earn less in profits and/or are taxed more, tens if not a hundred million or more Americans will be plunged into abject poverty in retirement.
Oh come on, don't be hysterical

Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Why should I give away what I made so many sacrifices for and worked so hard for to those who did not make sacrifices or did not work as hard or who just made bad decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies