Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

How would you feel if every millionaire/billionaire were forced to distribute their wealth?

I'd certainly quit trying to work hard enough to become a millionaire.

And so would pretty much everyone else who used to try.

Great plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
The thing is most of the people that end up making such money due so due to shady and unethical business practices taking advantage of others, exploiting people, and screwing over others, as well as using slave labor. They are almost all evil/psychopathic/narcissistic/greedy/insane.
This belief is common among people who cannot get ahead, and refuse to see their attitude and thinking is part of their problem. So they feel they're entitled to what other people have....just because they can't figure out how to improve their own lot in life and get those things for themselves.

You see it all the time in the work and employment forum on c-d. *Only the suck-ups are promoted and I'm not a butt kisser, so they're not promoting me.* *Managers are all psychopaths.*

They cannot see they're not being promoted because they have these beliefs, which impacts their attitude and performance. Instead, they blame others.

Nobody is hogging money. If you're not making enough to make you happy, figure out why and change it, or pick up a second job.

People are not entitled to take from richer people simply because they don't bring the same value to a company or because they have a lousy attitude at work and cannot get ahead.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Great plan.
Yep, thief's are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:00 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out the problem with the Left endlessly complaining about corporate profits and that corporations don't pay enough tax. Ask them if they will agree to drastically reduce public employee pensions, and see if they're on board with that. Ironically, they're not.

Too many on the left are financially illiterate, and argue for a policy that would significantly harm that which they hold sacrosanct.
In New York State Tom DiNapoli's able leadership pays out pensions entirely from investments on assets owned by the NYS pension system. New employees of NY State govt are tier 6. These tier 6 employees are required to pay more into the pension system and work longer for maximum vesting.

So next time that you think that you are going into the battle of wits by calling people financially illiterate don't go unarmed.

What's your beef with public employees anyway? How does that make you a better conservative?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Yep, thief's are not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Such a plan would, in fact, be plain theft.

You can't walk into your wealthy neighbor's house and lift money out of his wallet by force.

What makes these "distribution" addicts (i.e. thieves) think it's OK for govt to do the same thing?

Last edited by Roboteer; 06-18-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There is a tax system in place which is a remedy to our need for infrastructure repair, Social Security and Medicare solvency. In the end we will need to raise the very top tax rate back to 50% and removing the tax cap on Social Security earnings. After all, the very rich own corporations that have thousands of vehicles wearing out our roads. Aren't they also making the corporate pension a thing of the past by either cutting the monthly payout, firing those who approach vesting, or denying new employees a pension entirely?

If you don't believe that the very rich don't have money to burn, go to an auction at Sothebys. See what they are willing to pay for a pair of dueling pistols or art that is crap.
Very rich corporations who own thousands of vehicles that wear out roads?

You mean like trucking industry that transports food, goods, that you consume on a daily basis?

Plumbing outfits that go fix your frozen and broken pipes in the winter or ensures your septic system is pumped?

Excavation and construction companies that build housing, shopping centers, hospitals, etc?

You're all for taxing that into oblivion?

Allow me to explain how the outcome of that would be.
1. Their expenses/overhead will increase.
This will cause the price of goods and services to rise. You already are upset over the price of things like for example a car...

Tax the manufacturer, forces them to seek production offshore with sweatshop style and/or automated as much as possible.
Tax the trucking company since they wear out your road, they bill the dealership more to transport it from the rail yard the vehicle was drop shipped to.
Dealership raises the price of the car, or passes the freight onto you.
What was a 15k dollar econo box, now gets to be a 20k dollar vehicle. Assuming the taxation of that transportation company were increased 10fold.

2. Decline in the economy
Those cars, that once we're affordable to 20-30 somethings for daily drivers, aren't a good investment with depreciation upon leaving the lot, why buy a new chit box when you can buy a used higher end midsized sedan for the same money?
Sales decline, manufacturer either lays off production workers and cuts the fat.
Dealerships sit on vehicles they have nobody to market to.

Food.

Have fun buying a 10 dollar box of pasta.
Burger Meat at 5 dollars per pound.

Want to address your roads? Some states use taxes, vehicle registration fee, and tolls to fund road works.

Add your tax the wealthy with higher fuel tax on those vehicles who "wear out your roads" you just raised your cost of living 10 fold.

In effect you just starved yourself and ensured anyone making millions can still feed themselves.
Unless of course you intend to grow your own produce and raise and butcher your own meat, and catch and scale your own fish...

Think about that for one minute.
You can't tax something into oblivion and think everything will be great or equalized.

Prime example. ACA.
Alot of people making 20-50k per year had no problem affording what they had for themselves and their families through what was offered at work. ACA comes along, insurers bail, or jack their premiums up sky high. What becomes put in place? High deductible EPO plans. If you can afford the 95 per week silver plan with a 2k dollar deductible that needs to be met every calender year. Bravo. But what about the people with a family and kids? Their deductibles hover between 5 and in some cases 20k before insurance kicks in. That one time they need to use health insurance for an accident around the house or while on vacation etc just crippled them. I dont know many who earn 50k per year here in Florida or back in NY that have that kind of coin sitting in a bank for medical situations with kids who want to go to college...

Call me greedy/selfish. Until oblunder care is gone and things go back to how they were pretty ACA...

No kids no wife. I'm not about to fork a 3rd of my income for health insurance deductibles and premiums to ensure they have insurance. No way. Not going to happen.

It's cheaper for me to claim I Don't have insurance and pay out of pocket than it is to use the insurance...

Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
The thing is most of the people that end up making such money due so due to shady and unethical business practices taking advantage of others, exploiting people, and screwing over others, as well as using slave labor. They are almost all evil/psychopathic/narcissistic/greedy/insane.
Do you have any proof that most people practice such shady and unethical ways of earning their living? Or even any evidence?

Or are you just manufacturing more Fake News and trying to anger people enough to trigger another political assassination, as happened at the baseball practice last week?

There are certainly a few people who are shady and unethical. But the vast majority are not.

Until you can prove otherwise (and that means more than just blurting "Everybody knows that...."), my I suggest you dial back your rhetoric a little, to levels you CAN prove?

Or did you like what happened last week, done by a nutcase who drank in a steady diet of what you are serving here?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In New York State Tom DiNapoli's able leadership pays out pensions entirely from investments on assets owned by the NYS pension system. New employees of NY State govt are tier 6. These tier 6 employees are required to pay more into the pension system and work longer for maximum vesting.

So next time that you think that you are going into the battle of wits by calling people financially illiterate don't go unarmed.

What's your beef with public employees anyway? How does that make you a better conservative?
LOL
Stare at a pothole and make sure it doesn't move. Fill it at 4 and call it a day.
Or the better one on CBS6 "You paid for it"

DMV omg... that needs a total recall.

In Florida 10 minutes I had a vehicle registered from out of state, plates, a Florida Drivers Licenses and Voter ID. Met with a smile, the staff beyond friendly and helpful, and free coffee! Had one line on one form that wasn't filled out, got to fix it at the counter. NY to the back of the line with you NEXT! Thats IF they didn't shred the paper and make you start with a whole new one.

NY that's a half day long process. Whether it's in Poughkeepsie Hudson Catskill Colonie/Albany. And rude would be polite way of putting it.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How would you feel if every millionaire/billionaire were forced to distribute their wealth?

I'd certainly quit trying to work hard enough to become a millionaire.

And so would pretty much everyone else who used to try.

Great plan.
Agreed. The vitality of our lives would disappear. I do think people should be helped if they need it but lazy people and the like need to change and contribute too.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This belief is common among people who cannot get ahead, and refuse to see their attitude and thinking is part of their problem. So they feel they're entitled to what other people have....just because they can't figure out how to improve their own lot in life and get those things for themselves.

You see it all the time in the work and employment forum on c-d. *Only the suck-ups are promoted and I'm not a butt kisser, so they're not promoting me.* *Managers are all psychopaths.*

They cannot see they're not being promoted because they have these beliefs, which impacts their attitude and performance. Instead, they blame others.

Nobody is hogging money. If you're not making enough to make you happy, figure out why and change it, or pick up a second job.

People are not entitled to take from richer people simply because they don't bring the same value to a company or because they have a lousy attitude at work and cannot get ahead.
Becoming a millionaire isn't what it use to be. Sometimes it's just owning a house in the suburbs.
Let's look at paragraph 1, 2, and 3 of what you said above. Let's look at the typical work group. Your boss comes to you with two hours worth of work at 4:45 PM. Being a good and stupid corporate soldier you work until 7 and get the task complete. So he does it the next night and the next. You comply because you are a good and stupid corporate soldier.

You know why you are a stupid corporate soldier? Because everyone in the group is giving the boss the same two hours every night. You are also stupid because you are exempt and didn't get an extra nickel in your paycheck because of the extra effort. Being exempt is a scam because they haven't raise the overtime threshold since 1938.

For your information, when compared to society as a whole the number of managers with psychopath, sociopath or other mental problems are higher than average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies