Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Big deal, they'll just have to accept lower rates of return, and adjust their contributions accordingly.

You've posted this several dozen times, it just isn't the silver bullet you seem to think. (Also that $27t includes real estate, public bonds, foreign stock, etc. which are not relevant to the domestic corp. tax rate.)
Again, as has already been noted...

Quote:
"Can you name the biggest American investor? No, it's not Warren Buffett; as a matter of fact, it is not a person. It is CalPERS, the California Public Employees' Retirement System"...

Exxon
General Electric
Microsoft
Citigroup
Bank of America
Johnson & Johnson
Wal-Mart
Pfizer
Proctor & Gamble
JP Morgan Chase
The Ten Largest Holdings of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

Which of those ten are foreign?

You want to screw over public employees... teachers, fire dept, police dept, etc., in their retirement. Bad form, le roi. Bad form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 06:29 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Again, as has already been noted...

The Ten Largest Holdings of CalPERS, the Biggest U.S. Investor

Which of those ten are foreign?

You want to screw over public employees... teachers, fire dept, police dept, etc., in their retirement. Bad form, le roi. Bad form.

Not totally disagreeing with you here, but the biggest threat to these employees is that their pension funds are underwater and will require a huge infusion of tax dollars to make them solvent. So, in addition to giving the corporations favorable tax treatment (adds to deficit) , taxes will have to be raised to put EVEN more into their pensions. And since many public employees are state employees, federal taxes are only a part of the picture.

The dirty little secret? A whole lot of states are staving off the inevitable: bankruptcy. If they raise taxes corporations and residents flee, making it even worse.

At what point do we all go under the bus to cover for poorly designed and managed pension funds? Honestly, I find the argument that corporations should be not held liable for a fair tax rate to be undermining to the economy as a whole, when taxpayers are forced to cover the revenue losses for any single group's self interest.

The sky will not fall if corporations are held to a competitive tax rate.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:45 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Raising hand: multi-millionaire here, I'm entirely okay with my 24+ % tax rate going to the those less fortunate than me. I'd be happy to pay much more provided I could ensure it would go to them.
Sure you are. So what's the name of your foundation? Surely since you'd be happy with more of your money going to the 'less fortunate' you've used your multi millions to setup a foundation like Bill Gates to make sure someone else gets your money.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Huh? That sounds like something the shooter in Virginia would have said.
That's also what Trump inferred on the campaign trail. Globalists, with their fraudulent elitist capitalist ilk, have looted rural working class America dry, remember?

Old 06-18-2017, 06:52 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
The thing is most of the people that end up making such money due so due to shady and unethical business practices taking advantage of others, exploiting people, and screwing over others, as well as using slave labor. They are almost all evil/psychopathic/narcissistic/greedy/insane.
That is one of the most untrue statements I have ever read. There are millions of millionaires in this country. To stereotype them like that is similar to saying that all posters with wealth envy as strong as yours are communists.

Are you a communist, OP?

Another point, OP. If a miracle happened, and you found yourself a millionaire, you would be quite upset if the government took it away from you and gave it to me.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I am sure many are sick and tired of all these million/billionaires hogging all the money spending it on frivolous things rather than helping poor people. Hypothetically let's say every person that has millions/billions were forced to distribute all their money to the poor and social programs, how would you feel?
I'd feel the same as if the state were confiscating all private property.

At that point, a revolution would be necessary.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Raising hand: multi-millionaire here, I'm entirely okay with my 24+ % tax rate going to the those less fortunate than me. I'd be happy to pay much more provided I could ensure it would go to them.
I can give you a list of charities where the money would be used in such a manner.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Pure bull crap!

Get an education!
Unfortunately, she probably has one. This is the type of Political Correctness "fairness" that is being taught in public schools and universities these days!

Kids today, when attending a competitive event, are all awarded first place! That's only fair...

Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Sure you are. So what's the name of your foundation? Surely since you'd be happy with more of your money going to the 'less fortunate' you've used your multi millions to setup a foundation like Bill Gates to make sure someone else gets your money.
Pretty weird that you are upset that someone pays their taxes and is happy that it fuels the engine we call society and infrastructure and something goes to the needy..

There are plenty of self-made millionaires who pay their taxes and don't whine about it.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM

5,895 posts, read 3,896,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Unfortunately, she probably has one. This is the type of Political Correctness "fairness" that is being taught in public schools and universities these days!

Kids today, when attending a competitive event, are all awarded first place! That's only fair...
Would you rather have preferred a Christian indoctrination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies