Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
The NRA has done a masterful job at fear mongering and an even better job of selling the public on the idea owning a gun means you are protected from bad guys.

And our campaign finance laws have allowed the NRA to instill fear into the hearts of politicians should they even think of passing any legislation aimed at reducing gun sales.

Never in my life have I seen our country so gripped by fear. We say America is the home of the brave but our actions do not support that belief. We are afraid of everything. Reason and logic have been replaced by fear and panic that is now so prevalent that we can't even see what it's doing to us.
Obama was the greatest gun salesman in history. Literally empty shelves after certain speeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm. Lets examine these background check proposals. For one, there is already an effective , working background check system in place. The main thrust of BCs is now focusing on extending this to private sales/gifting/ inheritance of firearms. This all sounds so "common sense" on the surface, but is actually far from it and does not factor in ( actually this is the true goal) a serious problem. If I sell a firearm, or just say give it to my son, and say the hell with a background check how is it going to be determined that the gun changed hands while a private transfer law was in place? NV is finding out the hard way that this private BC thing is unenforceable, without creating a central registry of all firearms in private hands.

And THAT was not provisioned in the law that went to the voters. And good luck getting such a provision to fly. For good reason, firearms serial numbers, make and model are not given when a BC is conducted. Just type (long or hand gun). Private BC requirements essentially mandate evry gun owner act as a licensed dealer. For such a system to work, the government would need to know exactly what specific firearms are in private hands. And criminals are not going to call in BCs on their buyers anyway.

Its none of the states or federal governments business what guns I own, or what I choose to do with them, so long as my 2A rights are intact. I am not going to allow myself and my property to be placed in some government central data bank so that emotionally driven, reactionary and invasive policies can be enacted to satisfy the sensibilities of no nothing, hand wringing gun haters who wet themselves at the mention of private gun ownership and use.

Lack of a central firearms registry is what has kept a serious push for ban and confiscation from getting off the ground here. The UK and Australia both put registration requirements in place long before they grabbed all the guns from their citizens. They had to, otherwise they would have no way other than police going door to door to confiscate firearms. There is no way that private BCs will work, without trampling all over 2A, and the 4th as well.

No, these new background check proposals are hardly "common sense." They are , however, an insidious inroad for the eventual confiscation of privately owned firearms. Think that little caveat of needing a central registry to enforce private sales BCs is a simple oversight? An honest mistake? I'm not buying it.
Plus, I can walk into a gun store get denied, turn around outside, go back in and LEGALLY buy the parts for the same weapon that needs just a lil bit of work to make operational. One hour tops and I'm shooting it. I can't legally own it but there it is.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Plus, I can walk into a gun store get denied, turn around outside, go back in and LEGALLY buy the parts for the same weapon that needs just a lil bit of work to make operational. One hour tops and I'm shooting it. I can't legally own it but there it is.
don't give them ammo!

That ghost gun crap was almost gone for good...

Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
don't give them ammo!

That ghost gun crap was almost gone for good...
A much bigger volume simply get bought out of car trunks. Cash sales between friends can't be stopped.

C and R too

So long as I put a serial on any gun I'm GTG. Browncansuckit111 is the serial number I chose.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
The NRA has done a masterful job at fear mongering and an even better job of selling the public on the idea owning a gun means you are protected from bad guys.

And our campaign finance laws have allowed the NRA to instill fear into the hearts of politicians should they even think of passing any legislation aimed at reducing gun sales.

Never in my life have I seen our country so gripped by fear. We say America is the home of the brave but our actions do not support that belief. We are afraid of everything. Reason and logic have been replaced by fear and panic that is now so prevalent that we can't even see what it's doing to us.
I have no fear of anyone killing me however if someone were to enter my house with intent of doing harm I'm the one to be feared.

There was only one situation in my entire life I felt the need for a gun and it was one time I did not have one. Fortunately that situation did not get to the point I would have shot someone even if I had one.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Own a musket. For home defense. Since that's what the founding fathers intended...

Four ruffians break into my house one night. I see them masked and armed approaching.
WHAT THE DEVIL?! As I leap off my recliner, grabbing my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle...

The door busts open as I finish packing the 58 caliber ball down the barrel and hastily prime the powder pan. With the force of a thunderstorm erupts an ear shattering bang and profuse cloud of smoke. I blow a hole the size of a golf ball through the first dirty rascal.

He's dead on the spot.

I draw my smooth bore flintlock pistol to take car of the one behind him, I miss completely and strike the neighbors dog. DRATS!!!

With only one last option to my disposal and these thugs came a packing... I pick up the rifle and make a dash down the hallway with them in pursuit. They're angry. I grab my lighter and mount my cannon. TALLY HO LADS! KABOOM! The grape shot tears the 2 hot on my trail into shreds. The blast setting off car alarms and shrapnel destroying houses up to 3 blocks down the street.

Ears ringing and smoke begins to clear... I fix my bayonet and charge the last rapscallion screaming. He's in a daze coughing in all of the smoke as I find my mark. He bleeds out awaiting first response and police to arrive on the scene, since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch...
Just as the founding fathers intended.

This would have been a better story if they came through the door in a line and you shot all four of them at once with single shot.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This would have been a better story if they came through the door in a line and you shot all four of them at once with single shot.
Yeah but it was a soft cast lead ball and dumped all of its energy on the first one... a minie ball maybe... smooth bore musket... I'm lucky I got the first one from 20 feet...

The cannon...

Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
In well working order. Shall not be infringed...
Are you in a well-regulated militia?

Old 06-19-2017, 11:13 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
You had me at "powdered wig".

Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Not a conservative. Ask someone else.

Probably a moot point anyway, because someone who refers to guns as "death sticks" is a lost cause for fair discussion on the topic. You should accept that you feel the way that you do, and that others feel the way that they do. The others have the Constitution on their side. You just have pejoratives.
Specifically, what is the intended purpose of a gun? Ornamentation? Come on. Death stick sounds like a pretty fair description of what they are. The danger of death always goes up based on probability when guns are around. You cannot argue otherwise.

I'm not even arguing for gun bans, as much as I truly wouldn't shed a tear if every single one was melted down. I just think the obsession and the unyielding irrationality that comes with gun ownership to be a prime culprit that the US is the most gun-violent nation in the Western world. You guys don't want to talk about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies