Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,572,356 times

Advertisements

So which conservatives are following his cause?

Let’s Consider Secession | The Resurgent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
I don't consider myself a true conservative but I tend to lean right. I find talk of secession to be rather unthought out and down right silly actually. What he's talking about here isn't actually secession however. More like states becoming either all left in demographic make up or all right. And then the population shifts location along political lines and we have a liberal country bordering a conservative one.

Simply put it won't happen. There are way more people in the middle than there are combined on either end. Disolving the Union is not high on our list. While giving far leftists and far right types their own countries I can talk about in a joking manner, as a serious proposal within these borders is ludicrous.

He talks about a war that would unite the two camps to the common good of all, but the way things are I don't even see that happening. This is a mildly interesting opinion piece, but overall I would grade it at a C.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,740,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
So which conservatives are following his cause?

Let’s Consider Secession | The Resurgent
I'm a liberal and I like the idea. It really makes more sense. Half this country has zero in common with the other half and better to part as (sort of) friends. I think the country would get along much better if states had more independence and states didn't feel they were funding the bad decisions of other states. If my blue state wants to create health care coverage, they could do it and create rules so that refugees from other states would not qualify until they had paid into the system for a decade or two. If we want to put our focus on education and technology, we can do that while other states can try to bring back coal.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,687,580 times
I thought the left was against segregation.

If they win on that issue will they want to bring back slavery too ? Huuuuuuummmmm

Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,405,006 times
LOL. You lose the coastel cities, and the conservatives will be incredibly poor. All the money is on the coast.

And before you all start going on about food, etc. California and other coastal areas do in fact grow enough food, they just wouldn't be exporting it.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:02 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,965,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm a liberal and I like the idea. It really makes more sense. Half this country has zero in common with the other half and better to part as (sort of) friends. I think the country would get along much better if states had more independence and states didn't feel they were funding the bad decisions of other states. If my blue state wants to create health care coverage, they could do it and create rules so that refugees from other states would not qualify until they had paid into the system for a decade or two. If we want to put our focus on education and technology, we can do that while other states can try to bring back coal.

One of the stipulations would be that your blue state would have to take all of the democrats from other states that are on welfare and food stamps. My how things would change.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,119,481 times
Quote:
But it's not that simple. Not everyone is a straight liberal or conservative. Many of us are moderates. Many are social one way, fiscally another. I can't think of anyone that I have absolutely zero in common with.

I suppose there are 50 states to work with (unless you are changing that around too), but how would this even happen fiscally for millions of people to up and move to the areas of the nation that they theoretically would fit in best?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,290,171 times
Quote:
I agree. Why should a group of rural midwestern residents in the minority rule the coastal urban majority? It is totally absurd. Different priorities. Different economies. Different cultures.

If the coastal states want to protect themselves from the encroaching harm of global warming, and the Luddite that the rural residents elected refuses, because he believes it is a 'Chinese' hoax, it is patently ridiculous for the coastal states to not do what is in their best interest. Time for civil disobedience--bigly. It is the same in Florida. Liberal Southern Florida, which generates 70% of the state's income is being ruled by a conservative religious group of northern Floridians. This makes no sense at all.

It honestly feels the same as the sensibility that generated the Revolutionary War. Taxation without representation. Why should blue states generating higher income have to pay for the backwards policies of the regressive red states?

Trump is the defining factor--the line in the sand. He is a divisive idiot, as demonstrated by his moronic self-serving campaign rally in Iowa, which simply was a an excuse for the immature jerk to vent. This is getting old and tired and the rest of the country is losing patience with his stupidity and selfish BS. Nothing is going to improve under this lunatic and it is becoming clearer by the day. If anyone can tear this country in two--he can and will.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,740,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
One of the stipulations would be that your blue state would have to take all of the democrats from other states that are on welfare and food stamps. My how things would change.
Deal. Red states can take all the disability recipients. Wait, they mostly already do, since the top five states on disability (which includes Medicare and is a lifetime benefit) are in the south.

Welfare is temporary. I would do this deal all day long.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 PM

32,122 posts, read 15,112,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That would be fine. But it's not just dems on welfare and food stamps...republicans are as well. Are you ok dealing with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies