Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,262,287 times

Advertisements

Oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,371,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Most of these incidents can be explained outside of a racial paradigm.

IF this one holds as the evidence stands now you're actually going to have a legit case to b*tch about.

Sure. If your response to fear is murder, you're not fit to be a cop. If your response to black people is fear, you're not fit to be in society.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
he didn't go outside to "help" he went outside at 10pm because he heard a crash and commotion. He wasn't sitting around diddling with a police scanner. If I heard a crash and commotion outside my apartment at 10pm I'd go inspect my car. Does he have a right to protect his property or not?
Incorrect.

According to the report he heard a "commotion" that entailed either

A. Shots fired
B. Shots fired/crash
C. Crash

Which means...

A. You stay inside.
B. You stay inside (inspect outside property once you ascertain an all clear scene by calling the dept)
C. You investigate but if you simply heard a crash why grab your piece for a car wreck?

ANSWER? YOU DON'T.

Sorry my friend. Dude went out after hearing either A or B. That's why he had his piece. And that was the dumbest thing he or anyone else could do.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,143,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He could have been shot dead. Even if he ran onto the scene and identified himself, eventually someone else could show up, and just see a male with a weapon. The first thought isn't likely to be 'off-duty cop'.

And I think we've seen enough cases where this is particularly true if you're a black male.
No Doubt

At least he didnt have 7 bullets fired at him. Maybe the other cop was just a really bad shot. They dont aim for the arms.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He could have been shot dead. Even if he ran onto the scene and identified himself, eventually someone else could show up, and just see a male with a weapon. The first thought isn't likely to be 'off-duty cop'.

And I think we've seen enough cases where this is particularly true if you're a black male.
Before this incident happened if you would have asked the off-duty cop what his thoughts are on people, regardless if they are off-duty LE or not, coming out of their homes after hearing all hell breaking loose to try to assist him in a pursuit/at a crime scene I'm sure he would have not been in favor of it...AT ALL.

No uniform. No radio. No knowledge of the situation. Carrying a weapon. That's not going to help the situation.

He made a mistake and like I said, one suspect got away. Could that suspect have been caught if cops weren't securing the scene created by the off-duty cop?

If Barney Fife and his racist itchy trigger finger (as it appears to be right now) hadn't showed up and put a slug in this dude's arm I think the department would be investigating why the off-duty cop felt it necessary to do what he did.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,332,558 times
Quote:
Incorrect.

According to the report he heard a "commotion" that entailed either

A. Shots fired
B. Shots fired/crash
C. Crash

Which means...

A. You stay inside.
B. You stay inside (inspect outside property once you ascertain an all clear scene by calling the dept)
C. You investigate but if you simply heard a crash why grab your piece for a car wreck?

ANSWER? YOU DON'T.

Sorry my friend. Dude went out after hearing either A or B. That's why he had his piece. And that was the dumbest thing he or anyone else could do.
Incorrect.
Quote:
According to the police statement, the armed suspects then fled on foot. Meanwhile, an off-duty officer who lived near where the crash occurred came outside with his department issued firearm after hearing the commotion.

please tell us what rule book you're pulling from that states that civilians have to stay inside after hearing a "commotion." There is nothing that says you have to call the police after hearing a crash or commotion.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,143,655 times
Quote:

If Barney Fife and his racist itchy trigger finger (as it appears to be right now) hadn't showed up and put a slug in this dude's arm I think the department would be investigating why the off-duty cop felt it necessary to do what he did.
Im going to HOPE, that this department isnt going to bother investigating themselves, as they often dont, and figure out a way to save themselves, i.e; not kill each other. I hope they will work on some kind of code for on and off duty so no one else gets shot.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Incorrect.

please tell us what rule book you're pulling from that states that civilians have to stay inside after hearing a "commotion." There is nothing that says you have to call the police after hearing a crash or commotion.
Incorrect 2X

Quote:
Officers late Wednesday were chasing three men in a white sedan when the stolen vehicle crashed, forcing its occupants to flee and sparking a shootout with police, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The off-duty cop, who lives nearby, heard the chaos erupt. He grabbed his service weapon and hurried out to help police at the scene, according to the Post-Dispatch.
St. Louis officer shoots off-duty cop responding to gunfight - NY Daily News

Give it up. He went out there to assist. And he made it thru the ordeal nearly unscathed (though I'd still like to know if his arrival on the scene possibly hindered on-duty personnel arresting the 3rd suspect) until Barney Fife rolled up and shot him for what appears to be his skin color right now.

This story shouldn't even be in the P&OC forum. Should be in a comedy sub-forum.

Unless further info alters the narrative it's pretty clear...

A. Dude got shot cuz a cop at the scene crapped his pants and I strongly, strongly suspect it was because of the guy's skin color in front of him

B. The off-duty cop acted foolishly going out there to assist

They really are two distinct incidents. Completely unrelated if you ask me considering the info we have.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,332,558 times
Quote:
Incorrect 2X

St. Louis officer shoots off-duty cop responding to gunfight - NY Daily News

Give it up. He went out there to assist. And he made it thru the ordeal nearly unscathed (though I'd still like to know if his arrival on the scene possibly hindered on-duty personnel arresting the 3rd suspect) until Barney Fife rolled up and shot him for what appears to be his skin color right now.

This story shouldn't even be in the P&OC forum. Should be in a comedy sub-forum.

Unless further info alters the narrative it's pretty clear...

A. Dude got shot cuz a cop at the scene crapped his pants and I strongly, strongly suspect it was because of the guy's skin color in front of him

B. The off-duty cop acted foolishly going out there to assist

They really are two distinct incidents. Completely unrelated if you ask me considering the info we have.
The article I quoted said he heard the commotion and went outside. And again, if I hear a crash and commotion near my apartment I'm at least going to go check my car. This is what normal people do all the time. They don't just immediately call the police and hide under their beds. Congrats on finding an article that loosely fits your spin.

And again...tell us what law states that you have to stay inside after hearing a crash or commotion. And what law states that you have to call the police after hearing a crash or commotion?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Im going to HOPE, that this department isnt going to bother investigating themselves, as they often dont, and figure out a way to save themselves, i.e; not kill each other. I hope they will work on some kind of code for on and off duty so no one else gets shot.
You can do more research but this has obviously happened before. Google "Young v. City of Providence 2005" and 'Brown v. Gray 2000".

I think both of those cases had off-duty cops already at the scene and a crime occurring or nearby while already out in public and going to assist.

I can't remember exactly though. Been a long time since I've gone over this stuff (master's in criminal justice).

I can't recall ever hearing about a cop leaving his private residence to assist at a scene that he personally didn't witness or have any information on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies