Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 PM

476 posts, read 1,135,138 times

Advertisements

The white officer gave the standard police line: I feared for my life.

Perhaps if you're so terrified of black people that your first reaction is to shoot because you can't think clearly or properly assess a situation, police work is not for you.

CBS News, White Officer Shoots Black Officer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
If I was a black cop, I would never intervene while off-duty and not in uniform. See what happens?

Glad it wasn't more serious.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If I was a black cop, I would never intervene while off-duty and not in uniform. See what happens?

Glad it wasn't more serious.
You mean because he complied with the other (fellow)cops, and the third cop made no assessment of the situation and literally shot from the hip? I hardly think he thought this would happen to him. But nothing will change up there anyway, its obvious that St Louis police have no supervision in place.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
It's a terrible idea for an off duty cop to insert themselves into a situation like this one, regardless of color. There has been shots fired at the two officers on the scene and the third cop who had just arrived saw the off duty officer approaching the other two officers. I'm glad the off duty cop was not seriously injured.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
It's early on in this one but I looked at several sources and so far (which could obviously change) it looks like this on-duty cop just rolled up and shot this dude. Plain and simple.

WTF?

And let me say this as it relates to the off-duty officer coming outside to "help". I don't care what color you are or if you're a cop or not. If it's going down outside in the general vicinity of your house grab your piece and guard the castle. Do not initiate, do not "help", don't interfere. Protect yourself, family, and the castle.

This in no way has anything to do with the off-duty cop getting shot because the scene was being secured by other officers.

However, this off-duty cop had no radio, no uniform, and no knowledge of the situation. They had to secure him which took time away from the manhunt.

And incidentally one suspect got away.

To be clear, two completely separate issues. Absolutely. 100%. Any man standing between officers and a suspect is going to have to be secured and possibly cleared. So shooting this dude is unacceptable (as the evidence stands now).

But damn man. Don't go out there with no knowledge of the situation and try to help.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:54 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
The white officer gave the standard police line: I feared for my life.

Perhaps if you're so terrified of black people that your first reaction is to shoot because you can't think clearly or properly assess a situation, police work is not for you.

CBS News, White Officer Shoots Black Officer
I should say.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Uniform or not, u still a N to white officers.
Most of these incidents can be explained outside of a racial paradigm.

IF this one holds as the evidence stands now you're actually going to have a legit case to b*tch about.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Most of these incidents can be explained outside of a racial paradigm.

IF this one holds as the evidence stands now you're actually going to have a legit case to b*tch about.

They'll never let that fly. They will investigate him, get the lawyers to lock his facebook page, and bring up any complaint he might have had registered.
Maybe the ST Louis training was as lax about off duty officers helping out as they were at protocol to recognize off duty officers.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's early on in this one but I looked at several sources and so far (which could obviously change) it looks like this on-duty cop just rolled up and shot this dude. Plain and simple.

WTF?

And let me say this as it relates to the off-duty officer coming outside to "help". I don't care what color you are or if you're a cop or not. If it's going down outside in the general vicinity of your house grab your piece and guard the castle. Do not initiate, do not "help", don't interfere. Protect yourself, family, and the castle.

This in no way has anything to do with the off-duty cop getting shot because the scene was being secured by other officers.

However, this off-duty cop had no radio, no uniform, and no knowledge of the situation. They had to secure him which took time away from the manhunt.

And incidentally one suspect got away.

To be clear, two completely separate issues. Absolutely. 100%. Any man standing between officers and a suspect is going to have to be secured and possibly cleared. So shooting this dude is unacceptable (as the evidence stands now).

But damn man. Don't go out there with no knowledge of the situation and try to help.
he didn't go outside to "help" he went outside at 10pm because he heard a crash and commotion. He wasn't sitting around diddling with a police scanner. If I heard a crash and commotion outside my apartment at 10pm I'd go inspect my car. Does he have a right to protect his property or not?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You mean because he complied with the other (fellow)cops, and the third cop made no assessment of the situation and literally shot from the hip? I hardly think he thought this would happen to him. But nothing will change up there anyway, its obvious that St Louis police have no supervision in place.

He could have been shot dead. Even if he ran onto the scene and identified himself, eventually someone else could show up, and just see a male with a weapon. The first thought isn't likely to be 'off-duty cop'.

And I think we've seen enough cases where this is particularly true if you're a black male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies