Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm amazed that after all these years on this board together, you clearly don't know the first thing about me. Most of my time in Europe is spent in Western Europe. France, Switzerland, England, Italy, etc.

As to sipping Budweiser, I think the last time I drank Budweiser was at a college frat party 25 years ago.

Quality of life is rather subjective, but as I am sitting here on the deck of my oceanfront summer home in The Hamptons, typing this while looking out at the waves, I would suggest that perhaps it is YOU that has no idea of what "quality of life" means.

As to dinner at the "Golden Corral", whatever that is, tonight I have an early reservation at the 1770 House in East Hampton, followed by Jay Leno doing stand up comedy for a very small audience at Guild Hall.
Ahhhh... summering in the Hamptons. That TOTALLY explains quality of life. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ahhhh... summering in the Hamptons. That TOTALLY explains quality of life. SMH
You choose to comment on the one line that was tongue I cheek? You don't think that a little bit of gloating was warranted by your post?

I judge my quality of life by the happiness of my family. If they are happy, I am happy, and my quality of life is good. And sure, the fact that the biggest decision my kids will have to make today is whether to swim in the ocean or the pool, certainly helps with that, but that is only part of it.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
You choose to comment on the one line that was tongue I cheek? You don't think that a little bit of gloating was warranted by your post?

I judge my quality of life by the happiness of my family. If they are happy, I am happy, and my quality of life is good. And sure, the fact that the biggest decision my kids will have to make today is whether to swim in the ocean or the pool, certainly helps with that, but that is only part of it.
The Masai are happy living in huts while tending their cattle. Does that mean that their quality of life is better than yours? Well, maybe.

And that's my point. It ain't about your pad in the Hamptons. The Hamptons have a ton of unhappy people that probably live there year round.

As far as your gloating, I mean, I'm not impressed anyway. I get to live in Southern Arizona year round. That's what I calll quality of life.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
A warning to Europe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7wKiZKByGQ

Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Masai are happy living in huts while tending their cattle. Does that mean that their quality of life is better than yours? Well, maybe.

And that's my point. It ain't about your pad in the Hamptons. The Hamptons have a ton of unhappy people that probably live there year round.

As far as your gloating, I mean, I'm not impressed anyway. I get to live in Southern Arizona year round. That's what I calll quality of life.
And I would want to shoot myself. That's what I meant when I said that quality-of-life is subjective.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
And I would want to shoot myself. That's what I meant when I said that quality-of-life is subjective.
So why did you say that quality of life is better in the US as if its subjective then you cannot say that - you can only say where its best for you.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
So why did you say that quality of life is better in the US as if its subjective then you cannot say that - you can only say where its best for you.
Because in my view, it is. So when I was responding to a poster who insisted quality of life is better in these other countries, I was offering a counterpoint. At least I admit that it is a subjective measure. I doubt you will get that much from the other poster.

Some economists would have you believe that you can quantify quality of life in different countries, but they combine mostly subjective data with some objective data. This is not really science. At best, it is soft science and at worst pseudoscience. This type of "scientific study" would be unacceptable in medicine.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:24 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
If this is a ploy to "Make America White Again", I've got news for you: The average white European birth rate is something like 1.5 continent wide. It's even lower actually in more socially conservative Eastern Europe. And as a fiscal conservative I don't think importing millions of people used to social democracy and it's inherent entitlements is a philosophically sound idea. I don't care what color America looks like in the future as long as it's free.

Also, in the long run, asking Europeans to abandon Europe to create some ayran utopia here is a geo-politically bad move. Either Russia or the Caliphate would take over then have unfettered access to the Atlantic and tons of fertile land/industrial capacity. You'll be creating the extinction of European culture as well.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Why would they leave a place with a higher quality of life for a lower standard?

Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Because in my view, it is. So when I was responding to a poster who insisted quality of life is better in these other countries, I was offering a counterpoint. At least I admit that it is a subjective measure. I doubt you will get that much from the other poster.

Some economists would have you believe that you can quantify quality of life in different countries, but they combine mostly subjective data with some objective data. This is not really science. At best, it is soft science and at worst pseudoscience. This type of "scientific study" would be unacceptable in medicine.
There are certain objective factors that contribute to quality of life like access to healthcare, education, amount of free time (so work/life balance) available, and quality of the environment that can be assessed to get an idea of the basic quality of life level in a country that further subjective factors add on to. The US, by those factors, falls behind and while this means that on a basic objective level the US has a lower quality of life that doesn't mean that additional subjective factors can't increase that quality for individuals so it surpasses elsewhere, but it does mean that for the average person you can safely say that quality of life is not better in the US compared to certain countries that fair better on those objective factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies