Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,906,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I already told you how I know. I work with a lot of these kids and I also know a lot of them because they are my friends' children.
Post the data, with proof. Or you're just making it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,443,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of them do have jobs but the pay is low (one-fourth of jobs pay no more than $10 per hour) and the rent is too high.
Then they should get two jobs.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was a low-income student and I didn't get Pell Grants.

Pell FAIL.
Quite possibly true, but we all know for a fact that only low-income students receive Pell Grants.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,443,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just want mu kids to go to school with well-behaving kids from families that value and foster and expect a high standard of work ethic, education, and honesty/respectful behavior.

Hmmmmmmm...where are those schools...?
They're not the ones with metal detectors and diversity officers.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Post the data, with proof. Or you're just making it up.
Believe what you want. As someone else said, stats only tell part of the story. I'm not doubting what you say is true but that doesn't mean that many low income students do well is a lie either.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just want mu kids to go to school with well-behaving kids from families that value and foster and expect a high standard of work ethic, education, and honesty/respectful behavior.

Hmmmmmmm...where are those schools...?
Surely not in the govt-run sector. I'm paying $25K+ to send my kid to 6th grade in a school like you describe above. And as someone else mentioned, there are no metal detectors or "school resource officers" on hand either at the school.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:59 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,756 times
Quote:
Quite possibly true, but we all know for a fact that only low-income students receive Pell Grants.
Yes, like my husband. Whose immigrant, single mother couldn't afford to send him to the top-rated universities who sent him acceptance letters, but only offered a fraction of tuition in "need-based" scholarships.

Pell Grants, scholarships, loans. Hard work.

Now he pays FAR more in taxes than 99% of his fellow Americans. He's re-paid the cost of his Pell Grants many, many times over.

THAT'S why taxes support Pell Grants and the like. Those students get a better education than they would have otherwise, go on to get a better job than they would have otherwise, and we ALL benefit. It's in our national interest to educate these students, too, not just the ones who can afford top colleges.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Baloney.

Liberals don't largely control schools around the country.

Schools are largely controlled by the party in power in that area. Which means that many, if not most, districts are controlled by conservatives.

Look at Oklahoma. I suspect there is few if any liberal-controlled school board in the entire state. Yet it ranks near the bottom.

Oklahoma ranks 48th in Education Week's annual education quality rankings | Education | tulsaworld.com

Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia... all rank well down any list of school achievement. You'd be hard pressed to find a liberal school board in many such states.
Same as my part of Texas. The local schools are controlled by the same contemporary non thinking party in power as at the state level. Textbooks, too.

I had this fight 50 years ago. One of my kids ended up being her 4th grade teacher's aid due to her having done all the years work by Thanksgiving. The brass said she was an over achiever. They could not answer the question of how can a human over achieve?

But the theory was having all kinds of kids in the classroom helped the ones who were having a hard time. I asked why that duty fell to the inquisitive kids instead of the educrats. Never got an answer so we moved.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Believe what you want. As someone else said, stats only tell part of the story. I'm not doubting what you say is true but that doesn't mean that many low income students do well is a lie either.
Yes, they can do well, but at lower rates than everyone else. In the UW-Madison example I gave, there was about a 20% difference in 4-year graduation rates between Pell Grant students and the student body in general. Why spend taxpayer money to get inferior results? What sense does that make?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,756 times
Quote:
Yes, they can do well, but at lower rates than everyone else. In the UW-Madison example I gave, there was about a 20% difference in 4-year graduation rates between Pell Grant students and the student body in general. Why spend taxpayer money to get inferior results? What sense does that make?
Because the people who make up that 51% you cited in your UW-Madison example who do graduate within 4 years, go on to have careers in fields that typically favor the college-educated, and become full-fledged taxpayers. I'm sure plenty of others do the same after 5 and 6 years at UW-Madison.

What percentage of low-income kids would attend and graduate without Pell Grants, in your estimation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies