Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:35 PM

15,676 posts, read 10,456,058 times

Advertisements

How would it be fair if someone wants to buy into healthcare insurance after being diagnosed with an illness? Why would anyone buy insurance if they can buy it only when needed?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-26-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 05:39 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's not the same as the individual mandate. In the new healthcare bill, if you have insurance and allow it to lapse, there can be a penalty. If you are not insured at all, there is no penalty for being uninsured. Note the operative word is "lapsed" in your coverage. You had to have had insurance in the first place and stopped paying the premiums...allowing it to lapse.
Well that doesn't seem much better.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,125,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
You need to have some form of penalty for those who don't have insurance. The penalty in ACA wasn't strong enough.

Well! Thank goodness for people like you who know what people like me need in our lives. I'm so happy you're here to make all my life's decisions for me. How did I ever do without you?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 PM

18,755 posts, read 7,666,157 times
Let me get this straight.

When they find someone who doesn't want a Trumpcare policy, they penalize him by.... refusing him a Trumpcare policy?

And nothing else?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,117,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Loose your job which had Healthcare, go on cobra (no one can afford it without another job) find new job (Tcare does not require business to have health Benefits). Try to buy Healthcare (if you have a pre-existing condition forget it) when you do not have coverage you get to wait 6 months. So the GOP has figured out how to kill off a whole bunch of people.
Or this. You are self-employed with no access to group insurance any more (thanks, Trump!) and you are over 50, so your insurance goes up five times what it currently is. You can no longer afford to purchase insurance, and as an added bonus, you will be forced to pay a penalty because they forced you out of the market through no fault of your own. Yes, Mr. Trump, THIS plan is mean, mean, mean.

I think you're right, the GOP's Reverse Robin Hood policies are all about killing as many people who are not in the top 1% as they possibly can. And if this POS bill goes through, they will undoubtedly succeed.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:21 PM

25,594 posts, read 56,610,008 times
Yup, they want to cull the herd. Too many poor people , so let's let 'em die off.

Many families live paycheck to paycheck - two minimum wage earners. Lose the job, lose the health insurance. COBRA is usually 5-10x the employee portion.

These people cannot afford insurance at those prices - either under COBRA or privately.

Therefore, they become uninsured. Then disaster strikes or they are already chronically ill and employer insurance kept them going. No insurance means no or substandard treatment - piles of bills, ruined credit. Which means bad credit means it's harder to get another job - so they remain uninsured longer. Employers don't care why your credit is bad. So, your application goes in the trash.

No way this works.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:22 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,707,157 times
I think it's perfect. Here's why: There are three kinds of 'pre-existing conditions.' The first is the patient born with some congenital defect that will be a problem forever. Medicaid or insurance should be the payer for that, because it is actuarially predictable. (Hence you can control for risk.)

Same for the second type of 'pre-existing condition,' which would include those who come down with a chronic disease like diabetes.

But the third type, that is totally unpredictable, is the 28 year old numbskull who crashes his Camero at 2:00 in the morning and signs up for insurance at 9:00 AM. After $250,000 worth of trauma care and surgery, he's all better and then stops paying premiums. This was exactly the undefinable risk that created much of the losses that drove many of the insurance carriers out of Obamacare.

Nice to see someone in Washington even recognized it.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,162,353 times
Wasn't that one of their major objections to Obamacare?

I mean, not their real objections, but a stated objection.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM

25,594 posts, read 56,610,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I think it's perfect. Here's why: There are three kinds of 'pre-existing conditions.' The first is the patient born with some congenital defect that will be a problem forever. Medicaid or insurance should be the payer for that, because it is actuarially predictable. (Hence you can control for risk.)

Same for the second type of 'pre-existing condition,' which would include those who come down with a chronic disease like diabetes.

But the third type, that is totally unpredictable, is the 28 year old numbskull who crashes his Camero at 2:00 in the morning and signs up for insurance at 9:00 AM. After $250,000 worth of trauma care and surgery, he's all better and then stops paying premiums. This was exactly the undefinable risk that created much of the losses that drove many of the insurance carriers out of Obamacare.

Nice to see someone in Washington even recognized it.
Wrong on all three.

Congenital: States are now allowed to cap benefits under Medicaid. This will result in more deaths.

Pre-existing: What happens to those people who have the misfortune to lose their jobs - see my post above yours. Health insurance is unaffordable for the unemployed.

Last Minute Signups: You are uninformed. No one can sign up willy-nilly for insurance after an accident outside of annual Open Enrollment Periods, explained here:

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...llment-period/

Only a life qualifying event such as a divorce, loss of employer coverage allows special enrollments.

In all three cases, your argument is not based on fact. Best rework that thesis.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 PM

20,700 posts, read 12,579,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Or this. You are self-employed with no access to group insurance any more (thanks, Trump!) and you are over 50, so your insurance goes up five times what it currently is. You can no longer afford to purchase insurance, and as an added bonus, you will be forced to pay a penalty because they forced you out of the market through no fault of your own. Yes, Mr. Trump, THIS plan is mean, mean, mean.

I think you're right, the GOP's Reverse Robin Hood policies are all about killing as many people who are not in the top 1% as they possibly can. And if this POS bill goes through, they will undoubtedly succeed.
Sounds like you summed it up nicely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies