Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US taxpayers bail out Illinois when they default?
I'm not from Illinois and I want my tax money to bail out Illinois 10 9.09%
I'm not from Illinois and I don't want my tax money to bail out Illinois 93 84.55%
I'm from Illinois, please bail us out 0 0%
I'm from Illinois, let us reap what we have sown 7 6.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Seriously? You regard a $400,000+/year pension as "not excessive?"

And just look at how much the public employee funded that, themselves.
Most retirees do not collect $400,000 in annual pension benefits.

The average annual benefit for teachers with 30 years of service is about $73,000, tax free. They did not participate in SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,746 times
Last time I looked Illinois was a US state. That they may come as a shock to some on this forum. They are entitled to all rights of a state.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Seriously, what is wrong with Illinois just raising taxes on corporations and the rich to pay off the debt?

Shouldn't this be an easy fix?
State constitution prevents progressive taxation.

Everyone pays the same rate.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,950,522 times
I voted no, but if the federal government is going to bail out IL and CA, then they should lose their electoral votes until every penny is repaid. Bailouts of IL and CA are probably inevitably given their bloated pension systems and who's in charge there. The voters don't seem to care either, as they keep mindlessly returning Democrat supermajorities to the legislature.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 AM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
The Federal Government would have to put in place a body to make all financial decisions for Illinois as well as to oversee the day to day operations of the state. They do this with cities like Atlantic City when they go bankrupt. The Governor and state legislature would answer to this group.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM

88,974 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most retirees do not collect $400,000 in annual pension benefits.

The average annual benefit for teachers with 30 years of service is about $73,000, tax free. They did not participate in SS.
Regardless, it needs to be trimmed. Most Americans LOSE money on SS. Time for public employees to start losing money on their pensions, as well.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you want to remain a United States you bail out your states that need help if not you are on the road to anarchy.
What does bail out mean?

Loan guarantee?

Federal loan?

Cash with no expectation of repayment?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Goodnight - how did PA address their pension problem?

Informed Consent - yowser, your tax bill sucks. Thanks for posting it as it's interesting to see exactly where the funds go.

They went to a hybrid plan for defined benefit/contributions for most employees.

Quote:
Pennsylvania state lawmakers Thursday passed a pension reform bill that will save about $5 billion by incorporating features of both defined benefit and defined contribution plans.

I believe that Rhode Island did the same but some states don't have the latitude because of their consitution.

Members of the state’s House of Representatives followed the Senate by passing the bill, 143-53. Most state employees and all school employees hired after Jan. 1, 2019, will get half their pension benefits from the existing defined-benefit plan and half from a new 401(a) defined-contribution benefit plan, according to Pensions & Investments. Employees in high-risk jobs like police and corrections officers will be able to retain their defined-benefit plan.

Pennsylvania pols vote in favor of wide-sweeping pension reform | Fox News

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 AM

26,475 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Actuarial projections, especially ROI, have missed the mark for serious decades.

The state Constitutiin compels a flat tax. Illinois is one of a handful of states with a flat versus progressive tax rate.

It's my understanding how state pensions have been calculated has had a greater impact than the what. Endless historical games have been played to goose pensions that are not found elsewhere.
Public pensions and unions have an inherent interest in mismanaging pensions.

#1 They expect a rate of return that is higher than can be expected. This is because they want to prop up unrealistic pension payouts versus what is actually being put in. "Put in a little, promise a lot" is a great short term philosophy. Long term, like in Michigan they just assume that they will get bailed out.

#2 Politicians will look the other way as the pension is required to invest in local bonds so that they can keep deficit spending easier with lower interest rates (increase in demand means bond rates fall) and the union gives kick backs to the politicians for looking the other way come campaign donation season.

#3 The Unions that get to help manage these charge high management fees.

#4 You win more votes as a Union leader or to the management of the pension by making unrealistic promises of benefits.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually the mechanism appears to be maintaining too low a tax system for decades. So it is low taxes that has damaged Illinois. The pensions do not appear to be excessive.

Are you in favor or opposed to taxing sufficiently to meet obligatlions?
Reform was attempted.

Taxes were increased. Intention was to trim accrued pensions. Politicians who raise taxes tend not to get reelected. The state Supreme Court ruled against touching accred pensions. Both the current governor
( Republican) and mayor of Chicago ( Democrat) were devastated by the ruling.

Had people been taxed sufficiently all along, its likely pensions would not have been so generous. That actuarial projections were so off, for so long, added further challenge.

You cannot change the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies