Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For those of us that have worked all our lives and paid into it...no. For those that have never paid into it and utilize it..sure.
FYI, that would be the same payment method as "socialized medicine." We pay into it with our income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
OP,

Do you prefer our current system, where healthcare is refused by insurance companies for the sake of next quarter's profits?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:40 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't care what you call it. It's far better than to pay an absurd amount to an insurance company every month, sometimes as much as your house payment or more and then have to go to a doctor of their choice and they approve of and has a 3 week waiting list to get in and see. If you're lucky enough to see a doctor and don't get sicker and die first, you have to pay a huge deductible and co-pay.
How did our health care system turn into this horrible mess?
Because our middle class is split in half ideologically, and hasn't allowed or figured out how to create themselves more useful HC benefits.

The poor and elderly we take care of. For the rich this is a non-issue. The broad working middle class needs a better break. IMO of course.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Get socialized medicine and you too can be ordered to die by the courts.
If this were to happen in the United States, the insurance companies would, at a certain point, stop paying for the life support. What would then happen is the parents would either have to allow the child to die (which is inevitable, by the way) or choose to pay for it out of pocket.

Life insurance, according to the Washington Post, usually costs around $2,000-$4,000 per day. 60 Minutes found that the price can skyrocket to $10,000, but let's be unrealistically optimistic and just say it would cost $2,000 a day. By the end of the week, they've spend $14,000, and by the end of the month, $56,000. The median household income is about $54,000.

Assuming they make around the median household income, they've spent more than their yearly income in a month. And hell, even if they make a good amount more than the median household income, the cost of life support after a real would be $672,000. And this based on the low estimate of life support cost.

The family has now gone into extreme debt in a matter of months. Their child will soon die and they will never pay that money off. It may sound horrifying on paper, particularly when you word it like "the state orders you dead," but in that scenario, the state is stepping in and preventing a significant amount of suffering. The child's pain will end and the grieving process for the parents can begin. Horrifying as it may seem, I'd take the state being a voice of reason in a case of an incurable travesty over being able to go into absurd debt in a matter of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Get socialized medicine and you too can be ordered to die by the courts.
Yes, we all have the right to: be kept on ventilators in ICUs, be given industrial strength vassopressor medications injected into our veins, be fed via a tube, and get kidney dialysis, all for an unspecified period of time to keep from dying for a couple weeks longer.

Quote:
Last year (2009), Medicare paid $55 billion just for doctor and hospital bills during the last two months of patients' lives. That's more than the budget for the Department of Homeland Security, or the Department of Education. And it has been estimated that 20 to 30 percent of these medical expenses may have had no meaningful impact. Most of the bills are paid for by the federal government with few or no questions asked.
The Cost of Dying: End-of-Life Care - CBS News

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
FYI - hospitals in the US also can stop treating a patient.

Also with the passage of lifetime maximum limits for insurance prior to ACA, this child would probably already have died within a few months due to insurance companies not being required to provide funding for care after the cost reaches a certain amount.

Another FYI - but the lifetime maximum limits will come back if the Senate passes the new healthcare bill as it is written so this will again happen in this country.

This is not something related to socialized medicine. It can and does happen in our system all the time when the insurance company either refuses to pay due to the limit or the hospital feels that caring for the patient is futile and so they deny to treat the patient anymore.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:48 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It is for you too. Medicare is a social relief plan administered centrally for all. Although you paid into it, most who paid in are subsidized. Most enrollees receive 1/3 -1/2 more in benefits than what they put in. And that there in a nut shell is why Medicare works so well.

I know it is for me, but I don't consider it "socialized" for me, since I've paid into all my life. It is socialized for those that haven't paid into it and use it.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:49 AM

Just curious OP,
Quote:
Is this what single payer would get us ? Courts ordering life support machine turned off ?
What do you think would happen to this child in this country if the family did not have health insurance?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I know it is for me, but I don't consider it "socialized" for me, since I've paid into all my life. It is socialized for those that haven't paid into it and use it.
Again, that is how single payer (socialized medicine) health insurance works. We all pay in from our income tax.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:50 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
FYI, that would be the same payment method as "socialized medicine." We pay into it with our income taxes.

Except in "socialized medicine" we are also paying for those that can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies