Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should declawing cats be legal?
Yes, the cat is my property so I can do what I want with it. 40 36.36%
No. If you're that worried about your couch, don't get a cat. And if it's vicious, surrender the cat to the local ASPCA/pound 70 63.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
And put firecrackers up its butt. It is my property and we will be eating diner soon.
Keep it classy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thankfully this practice is frowned upon by most animal experts, but in this country, it is not illegal. In fact, over 20% of cats in the USA have been declawed.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Li...awing_bgnd.pdf

That source details all kinds of drawbacks and dangers of the practice. Spoiler alert: cats are prescribed FENTANYL to cope with the recovery.

And there are absolutely 0 benefits to the cat.

In several countries, declawing is outright banned.

What's your take?

To remove the claws, they amputate the last joint of their toes. Besides the pain and long recovery period, they're much less able to defend themselves against dogs and do their jobs as rodent-catchers. If I encountered a woman who had her cat declawed, she would be off my eligible list. Who knows what she would do to a guy?

Old 07-13-2017, 06:00 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You'd make a lot of cats homeless if you tried to enforce this. My animals are very well cared for. I do not like when they destroy the furniture though. If that happens I'm not going to just dump the cat as you suggest. Declawing is a last ditch option before drop off at the humane society.
Why would anyone not use alternatives like the caps or trimming the claws?

I have heard the same mentality with problem dogs. The owners get a barking fine and instead of trying training, bark collar, etc., it's off to the shelter. Instead of keeping the dog inside, off to the shelter. Why even have an animal if you are not willing to work with it if it has a problem. We make them adapt to our lifestyles so sometimes we need to help them in ways that may inconvenience us.

Oh yes, some people have their dogs - debarked....

Old 07-13-2017, 06:06 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Any and all housecats can get outside. For those of you who think it's good to declaw, you leave your cat defenseless. Open to attack and death by other animals. You should never get a cat, with the intention to declaw.

That would be like me putting you in the middle of New York city, with your hands tied behind your back and then stick you on the subway at 2 a.m. and see what happens.....

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I had both my cats, who are indoor, declawed.

The boy is gone, cancer, but my baby girl kittie is right beside me, as always.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Any and all housecats can get outside. For those of you who think it's good to declaw, you leave your cat defenseless. Open to attack and death by other animals. You should never get a cat, with the intention to declaw.

That would be like me putting you in the middle of New York city, with your hands tied behind your back and then stick you on the subway at 2 a.m. and see what happens.....
Yep.

I'm disgusted by the excuse that it's okay to declaw if it means the cat will get a home. Why would anyone want the cat to have just any home? Surely you would want the cat to have a quality home with someone who cares to take the time to teach the cat that the couch is off limits for scratching but the cat tree is free reign. A little catnip, a squirt bottle, and some patience will prevent the cat from scratching anything but what you want them to scratch the majority of the time.

It's the same for kids as it is for pets who need adoption: Not all homes are good homes. Don't put them where it's actually not great just to say "we found them a home".

If a potential owner is too worried about their furniture or pet hair on their clothing or possible mistakes or hairballs on their floors...don't get a cat. Don't get a cat. Don't get a cat.

And don't mutilate a cat for someone's pathetic excuses of "but they have a home now". The cat is tortured because the human is too lazy. There's nothing "feel good" about that at all.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I considered having one of our indoor (mostly) cats declawed. My wife looked at me and said, "How would you feel if they took away your knives?" End of discussion. Cat kept her claws and I kept my pocket knife.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM

9,983 posts, read 5,684,706 times
The government has better things to worry about than cat toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I considered having one of our indoor (mostly) cats declawed. My wife looked at me and said, "How would you feel if they took away your knives?" End of discussion. Cat kept her claws and I kept my pocket knife.
How come nobody ever asks "how would you feel if they cut your balls off" before neutering a pet?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
But cutting off their balls is a OK, right?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The government has better things to worry about than cat toes.

How come nobody ever asks "how would you feel if they cut your balls off" before neutering a pet?
Lol, good question.

Probably the same crowd who freaks out over circumcision.

If declawing should be illegal, so should neuturing and spaying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies