Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,850,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Local stores failed to provide Americans with a customer-based reason to support them.
That is pretty much it. I remember clearly before Amazon became what it was; stores had limited selections, often did not have the sizes in stock, had to jump from store to store looking for things, encountered stupid customers who bothered people, crowds, traffic, standing in line, the whole "we can order it for you" line, etc.

When I discovered Amazon and it got popular, I constantly was searching online just so I can avoid all the negative BS that came with shopping in stores. Now, most of things I buy is online, hell, I even bought my car online, only going to the dealer to sign the paperwork and pick up the car.

Next is groceries, I think of this as I dread going to the grocery store this evening with the crowds who are all there also, may postpone until tomorrow though more inconvenient for me.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,470,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's called free market enterprise, god bless America.

It's sad stores and businesses close, but that's life.

No one's forcing or should force customers to choose how they spend their money.

Fact is, Amazon provides exactly what consumers like myself love, convenience and price. Why waste gas and money and possible road rage and annoying customers, when I can comparison shop for what I want and have it delivered to my door step?
There is nothing to "bless" and Amazon is not the first monster to decimate retail stores.
The legislator should have stepped in decades ago to prevent the creation of these monstrous enterprises. I've read a book by a British phylosopher who claimed that the next step is for the multinational mega corporations to rule the globe, bypassing national governments. Years ago I laughted at this thought, which sounded absurd. Today I'm not laughing anymore.
People think that it is "capitalism" and "free" markets. Actually it is neither. It's an uncharted economical form with unpredicteble (possibly dangerous) long term consequences.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:20 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,807,777 times
According to an article last year Wal-Mart recently closed like over 200 stores however I think they opened some new ones in other areas such as D.C. They are just over extended in certain areas.

Amazon is very good for electronics and they pretty much set what the prices are nationwide. Also people buy on EBay. Video games have gone digital and you don't even need to buy them at a store anymore. That's just another example.

Brick and mortar has tons of competition, not just Amazon.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:22 PM

34,091 posts, read 17,152,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
There is nothing to "bless" and Amazon is not the first monster to decimate retail stores.
Had retail put the customer first, Amazon would never have gotten off the ground. Retail failed overall, just as the Edsel did. American moved on then, and will now, too.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes, exactly.

The future is a tiny global elite living off of an automated system for enriching themselves, while the rest are left to starve. Any attempts by the 99.99% to get some of the wealth of the 0.01% will be met with automated police forces.

The techno-utopians don't understand human nature.
Who are they going to enrich from if Karl Marx "masses" don't have jobs (and hence money)?

Automated police forces? I'm dubious. Anything man made can be circumvented by man.

I have faith in viruses, Trojan horses and assorted malware.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,119,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That is pretty much it. I remember clearly before Amazon became what it was; stores had limited selections, often did not have the sizes in stock, had to jump from store to store looking for things, encountered stupid customers who bothered people, crowds, traffic, standing in line, the whole "we can order it for you" line, etc.

When I discovered Amazon and it got popular, I constantly was searching online just so I can avoid all the negative BS that came with shopping in stores. Now, most of things I buy is online, hell, I even bought my car online, only going to the dealer to sign the paperwork and pick up the car.

Next is groceries, I think of this as I dread going to the grocery store this evening with the crowds who are all there also, may postpone until tomorrow though more inconvenient for me.
Some chains have online ordering (and even delivery) these days. This mom of 2 wee ones loves that I can place an order online, then just show up during a pickup window and they bring it to my car. Soooii much nicer than trying to shop in store.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:43 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,470,334 times
Quote:
Had retail put the customer first, Amazon would never have gotten off the ground. Retail failed overall, just as the Edsel did. American moved on then, and will now, too.
You are looking at here and now. Probably happy you could get your iPad or video game a few bucks less.
I'm talking about future implications.Did you ever consider what happens when Amazon, Walmart, Apple and a few others remain the only game in town? Do you think that will favor the customer? Did you ever consider how restricted we become when Walmart purchase manager decides what Americans will buy or wear next year? But wait, that is not limited to America. These corporations are expanding to China, India and Europe.
If you think that is capitalism, your very wrong.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,594,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
You are looking at here and now. Probably happy you could get your iPad or video game a few bucks less.
I'm talking about future implications.Did you ever consider what happens when Amazon, Walmart, Apple and a few others remain the only game in town? Do you think that will favor the customer? Did you ever consider how restricted we become when Walmart purchase manager decides what Americans will buy or wear next year? But wait, that is not limited to America. These corporations are expanding to China, India and Europe.
If you think that is capitalism, your very wrong.
Please name one thing that is NOT afforded to you by those evil corporations.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,775 times
Quote:
Exactly. Retail stores cut customer service to the point where they're irrelevant.

Sales people DO NOT have the time to SELL you anything because they're too busy stocking. Management has to squeeze the last penny out of every employee so what you end up with is ZERO customer service just so the stock price can inch upwards every quarter. Oh well, what do I know. I'm just a silly customer. All those CEOs are so smart

It used to be that I'd go into a store looking for a skirt and I'd leave with a lot more. Not anymore.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:47 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,336,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Don't bother.

Within five years Amazon will have little use for out-of-house long haul carriers and shortly thereafter, last mile services will be done mostly in-house as well. There are plenty of threads on CD with folks mentioning how UPS & FedEx are delivering fewer and fewer Amazon packages. What Amazon can't handle themselves is being shifted unfortunately to USPS.
UPS and Fed ex are fantastic stocks, 95% of the UPS volume is non-amazon stuff .

I dont want some regular joe in his car slapping on amazon sticker on his beat up old car and delivering to my office or my house with business stuff. With fed ex and UPS they are uniformed people with proper id and good customer service and tracking. Look at alot of uber drivers today, just bottom of the barrel

Alot of these companies like amazon and airbnb are getting away with murder tax wise, it probably wont last. They put a tax on my familys restaurants and BandB customers and on hotel guests to pay for a damn sports stadium that places like airbnb dont pay. These companies that claim to be "disrupters" arent paying the same in taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies