Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:38 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times

Advertisements

I know these are just two simple metrics in a much larger picture, but it is a curiosity.

So many people want to connect Trump to the current state of the Dow. I personally do not, or should I say a very low %. This is still Obama's economy and I believe the Dow is still feeding off of the table Obama had set for 8 years. I'm not saying that Trump being POTUS has interjected some hope in people to invest in the market as Trump is about infrastructure and jobs and America, and as such investors may want to get in now.

So is the political climate driving the Dow, the economy itself, or what blend of both? I find it interesting. Trumps ratings continue to slide, yet thus far that isn't putting any scare into the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 12:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,854 times
Unlike what most readers on here would understand....Trump would rather have low rating early in a term.
It's pretty simple, the higher ratings are early-on, there's mostly only downhill from there.
Because when you then do things, plenty will be unhappy and your ratings slide.
I'd much rather have lower ratings in a first year.

Wait...didn't we learn a lot about the accuracy of polls last year, anyhow?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I know these are just two simple metrics in a much larger picture, but it is a curiosity.

So many people want to connect Trump to the current state of the Dow. I personally do not, or should I say a very low %. This is still Obama's economy and I believe the Dow is still feeding off of the table Obama had set for 8 years. I'm not saying that Trump being POTUS has interjected some hope in people to invest in the market as Trump is about infrastructure and jobs and America, and as such investors may want to get in now.

So is the political climate driving the Dow, the economy itself, or what blend of both? I find it interesting. Trumps ratings continue to slide, yet thus far that isn't putting any scare into the market.
The stock market responds well when the Price Per Barrel of oil is relatively low, there is no threat of supply disruptions from Middle East Conflict, the Fed keeping interest rates low (which they still are historically), companies are downsizing (reducing labor cost), etc, etc.

The Presidency has very little control over the economy....other than psychological. I think psychologically investors are more confident that Trump will favor business and the interest of the wealthy (including stock holders). Thus, I do believe that the market gets a slight boost from Trump being a businessman more so than a politician. That having been said, the stock market is a p-i-s-s poor indicator of the general health of an economy. It can be at its peak....right before the economy crashes.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The stock market responds well when the Price Per Barrel of oil is relatively low, there is no threat of supply disruptions from Middle East Conflict, the Fed keeping interest rates low (which they still are historically), companies are downsizing (reducing labor cost), etc, etc.

The Presidency has very little control over the economy....other than psychological. I think psychologically investors are more confident that Trump will favor business and the interest of the wealthy (including stock holders). Thus, I do believe that the market gets a slight boost from Trump being a businessman more so than a politician. That having been said, the stock market is a p-i-s-s poor indicator of the general health of an economy. It can be at its peak....right before the economy crashes.
The stock market was booming back in 1929 too, ...just before it crashed! Warren G. Harding was the MAN back then.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Unlike what most readers on here would understand....Trump would rather have low rating early in a term.
It's pretty simple, the higher ratings are early-on, there's mostly only downhill from there.
Because when you then do things, plenty will be unhappy and your ratings slide.
I'd much rather have lower ratings in a first year.

Wait...didn't we learn a lot about the accuracy of polls last year, anyhow?
I think that Trump would love to see his ratings higher, higher than any other president ever. Nothing about this man should lead you to believe that he thinks slow and steady is the way to go- it's always, I'm the best and brightest right from the start.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,115,378 times
It means that President Trump has NOT passed a single piece of legislature that in any way impacts the economy. I welcome Trump supporters to provide anything Trump has passed via legislation that has helped the economy.

Statistics show that the US economy has been on an upward trend for nearly five years, going back four years into Obama's presidency. Obama handed over a healthy and growing economy to Trump.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
So far Trump has failed to start the trade wars with the rest of the world (which he promised during the campaign), but when it begins, the market will dive.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Who cares about manipulative poll numbers.

It's about RESULTS.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

It says that most institutional investors are about the same as Trump. They could not give a rat's-azz about America, and they would sell their soul to the devil for a short term-profit.

They all (Trump included) know they are selling our future down the crapper, but they don't care, as long as they can cash in on it,

The really sad thing is that the people making it possible (by supporting him/them) are the very people who will get screwed the hardest, and they won't even be able to afford the lube....

Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
It means that President Trump has NOT passed a single piece of legislature that in any way impacts the economy. I welcome Trump supporters to provide anything Trump has passed via legislation that has helped the economy.

Statistics show that the US economy has been on an upward trend for nearly five years, going back four years into Obama's presidency. Obama handed over a healthy and growing economy to Trump.
Trump can't get anything passed in the Senate that requires 60 votes. How do you like grid lock ?

Trump is in the same position Burnie or Hillary would be had they been elected. Congress is the problem and the voters are the solution if they don't want grid lock. Having a majority doesn't equal having control but its a great sound bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies