Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,785,631 times

Advertisements

I guess I just have a higher opinion of the human race.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Bernie is pretty close to it. He might be old, but he's the FDR of our time. Given that I think he's even more progressive than most of the Democratic caucus with a few exceptions... he's basically the FDR of the Dems.
Did he win?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
To summarize, true freedom and liberty comes from having subjects who are beholden to the state for every aspect of their subsistence.
Everyone is dependent on either the state or their employer for every aspect of their subsistence.

The only people who have "freedom and liberty" are the wealthy, who have managed to control the fruits of someone else's labor. For one person to become more free, someone else has to become less free. Freedom is a zero sum game; there is only so much "free time" to go around. Simple physics.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I guess I just have a higher opinion of the human race.
Your opinion of the human race is not based on actual reality. When you believe in something that isn't backed up by the facts, that's called being delusional.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your opinion of the human race is not based on actual reality. When you believe in something that isn't backed up by the facts, that's called being delusional.
Tell me of a race of beings that is better.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,676 times
Quote:
Yep.

Similar thoughts to what I said here: //www.city-data.com/forum/48878769-post52.html
That was f*cking outstanding. Wow. 97% of what I read on c-d just motivates me to mock and marginalize but that was really good.

The 3rd section about the tech bomb was on point. I'm deep into its creation and yet I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing. I get a huge rush out of the intellectual challenge of it. I love knowing how these incredibly complex beasts work but I don't care at all about using them. I don't geek out on who's doing what in the industry or what the latest gadget is and when it's going to be out. I don't care. I guess I am about as much of a geek as there is but I use an iPhone 4 with a cracked case. I just don't care about the doo-dads. When I finally come home I do nothing having anything to do with computers. The day I retire is the last day I'll ever care about how a microprocessor works. I have plenty of other things I like to do. There is not a doubt in my mind that connectivity and the virtual world has been at least as bad for mankind as it has been a force for good.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:46 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Everyone is dependent on either the state or their employer for every aspect of their subsistence.

The only people who have "freedom and liberty" are the wealthy, who have managed to control the fruits of someone else's labor. For one person to become more free, someone else has to become less free. Freedom is a zero sum game; there is only so much "free time" to go around. Simple physics.
I have no idea why you're equating "free time" with "liberty" as if they're one and the same.
--------------------------------
We seem to have people who think liberty and sovereignty (and a bohemian science / art renaissance) can result from having any needs taken care of by a central authority.

Is my ex-GF's indoor cat free? I say no. I say the cat is a PET. Allowed an illusion of freedom within a confining demi-reality while having all of its needs and some comforts taken care of.

Like I said in post post # 27 of this thread:
Quote:
If our cities do become places of zero privacy, zero private property, zero work -- if some of the predictions in this little piece come true -- I will certainly want to be one of those living in one of the little self-supplying communities, no question.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,785,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It could never be based on different experiences and observations. You are apparently an absolutist who recognizes no truth but your own. Good for you.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why you're equating "free time" with "liberty" as if they're one and the same.
--------------------------------
We seem to have people who think liberty and sovereignty (and a bohemian science / art renaissance) can result from having any needs taken care of by a central authority.

Is my ex-GF's indoor cat free? I say no. I say the cat is a PET. Allowed an illusion of freedom within a confining demi-reality while having all of its needs and some comforts taken care of.

Like I said in post post # 27 of this thread:
To me, freedoms means doing what I want to do, when I want to do it (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone).

I am certainly not free. I have the following "choice": I can either work and make someone else wealthy in the process, or I can become homeless and possibly starve. That's not freedom, that's slavery.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 PM

34,074 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
To me, freedoms means doing what I want to do, when I want to do it (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone).

I am certainly not free. I have the following "choice": I can either work and make someone else wealthy in the process, or I can become homeless and possibly starve. That's not freedom, that's slavery.
Slaves were not compensated, nor offered your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies