Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Farm raised mink are unable to live in the wild, as they are fed daily in captivity. They have no prey instinct. Releasing them is a death sentence .

The people who did this profess to be "animal lovers " but in reality their motive is anti business, and anti profit.

Jim B.
No. I doubt their motives are such. They are just misguided zealots. Never a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
15,000 have already died and have been recovered. 11,000 have been recovered alive so far.

Another liberal mission went astray.

Eden Valley-Area Farm Says 11,000 Mink Have Been Recovered; 15,000 Have Died | KSTP.com
Fricken idjits. What the hell did they think was going to happen?

"We didn't know they depended on humans for survival!"

God people suck sometimes.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
How many of us wear leather shoes or belts (made from cowhide)?
Shoes made from real leather last a lot longer than their synthetic counterparts.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As I am an occasional carnivore I have no problem with domesticating and raising animals for their usefulness. I believe as much of the animal as possible should be used. I wear beef leather shoes and jackets and others as leather gloves. I would wear a bison coat if I could afford it and lived in a cold enough place.

Mink are raised for their wrappers but I wonder what is done with the rest of the animal. Probably dog and cat food. Our carnivore pets cannot live on grains like we can. Something has to die to feed them.

This piece of vandalism gives Vandals bad name. At least the Vandals used whatever they stole. These idiots simply did not use their brains but relied on their emotions.

"Mink have a thick coat of fur and a thick layer of subcutaneous fat, disguising the fact that they are really quite skinny – not much more substantial than rats! As the price of biodiesel equipment falls, and petrochemical fuel prices remain high, more farmers are investing in equipment to convert fat to energy for on-farm use. However, currently, the best value for mink fat is realized by refining it to cosmetic grade oil for use in hypo-allergenic facial oils and cosmetics.
The oil is also used to condition and preserve leather. Mink oil can be purchased at some pharmacies, on the Internet. Mink carcasses are rarely eaten by humans as the scent gland gives the meat a distinctive flavor which most people don’t enjoy. However, they are not wasted. Some farmers trade them for fish offal with fishermen who use them as crab bait. Crabs love mink meat, but seals hate it!
Other farmers give the carcasses to people who raise birds of prey or run wildlife preserves, zoos or aquariums. Yet others use them to make organic compost. Or they may be bought and rendered down to provide raw materials for a wide range of products, from tires and paint to makeup and organic fertilizers."

Old 07-24-2017, 10:33 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
The people who did this profess to be "animal lovers " but in reality their motive is anti-business, and anti-profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
No. I doubt their motives are such. They are just misguided zealots.
Well, as I mentioned, I recently watched the Animal Liberation Front agitprop movie "Okja" (available on Netflix), where the head ALF guy proclaimed, “We inflict economic damage on those who harm animals. We never harm animals or non-animals, that is our credo.” (He seems to have no real problem with violence, however.)

I think they (and I know there are more animal activists than just ALF) justify their anti-business, anti-profit activities as inflicting economic damage against those who harm animals on behalf of animals.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, RedZin, please don't encourage their tiresome tendencies to turn anything and everything into yet another left vs right battle in the Neverending American Cold Civil War. PLEASE!
Agreed. This isn't about where anyone may lie on the political spectrum. The Sandwash Sandanistas that dry gulch our cattle and sabotage ranching operations around here we don't view from a point of party or spectrum associations. They are just criminals and terrorists. Idiocy is a non partisan affliction. Stunts like this are just so totally boneheaded I can't bring myself to even remotely validate them with politics .

About maybe four years back a friend of mine who runs cattle on open range went to gather a few head at a line station he had built on BLM graze and when he and the ha ds got there they found the cabin and round up torched, on with the equipment stored in a conex and some 35 head shot dead. Literally riddled with bullets. 7.62x39 cases over the place. The FBI came in as did the BLM investigators. They caught up with the perps too. A fringe enviro wacko group out of the Bay Area. They used SKS rifles to shoot the cattle. All in the name of environmental activism. Cate destroy the environment ya know.

The stunt at issue here is no less idiotic, and neither were motivated by partisan politics. More like plain insanity a d idiocy in a perfectly balanced mixture. Yep. I figure enough of the critters will survive to create a new feral animal problem. So trappers will be called in to thin them out. They won't eradicate them though. Mink have a reproduction rate up there with rabbits. It's a historic scientific fact that anytime a new non native species is introduced by man for whatever reason it backfires and blows up. Every time. Rabbits, cane toads, pythons, coyotes, Dingos, Asian carp and Snakeheads, on and on the list goes.

You would think that people in animal activism would have some knowledge of basic animal biology and would know just what damage invasive species have caused. If they had pulled a stunt like this in Hawaii the locals would lynch them. They take invasive species seriously. As should we all.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Not true....There are descendants of ranch raised mink released years ago in my area...

Several credible studies have been published over the years showing that ranch-raised mink both survive and thrive in the wild.
Not these ones
Thousands of minks dying after vandals free them from Minn. farm - StarTribune.com

Farmer: 30K-40K Mink Released From Farm Will Cost $750K « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
As long as animals are not mistreated, and don't suffer, I have no problem using them for food, or clothing. I have a leather jacket, and eat meat regularly. I don't see a problem with either of those.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
How many of us wear leather shoes or belts (made from cowhide)?
Hand raised high.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Of course not these ones....Where do you think 40,000 mink could be released and still find enough prey to keep them alive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies