Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

And now the news that he's "taking a little time off" - the question is will he be coming back at all?

http://twitter.com/RiegerReport/stat...25468585160704

Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Tillerson may be great guy but he was never remotely qualified for the job of SoS in the first place. Couple that with having to work for a jackass and it is no surprise he just wants to go home.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Plus, he was the only witness to a lengthy meeting with Putin as well the meeting with the Russian spies and he seems mighty reluctant to talk about them.
I know he was at the G20 Putin-Trump meeting.

But what meeting with Russian spies?

Old 07-25-2017, 04:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Tillerson may be great guy but he was never remotely qualified for the job of SoS in the first place. Couple that with having to work for a jackass and it is no surprise he just wants to go home.
So if Tillerson was not qualified to be SoS, where does that leave us knowing that Trump is in over his head? Well, it will be 4 years of trying to stay afloat on a ship listing badly from side to side.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
He has looked very uncomfortable as Secretary of State. Since he lacks experience it would be difficult enough in a normal administration but in this one it's impossible.

Brzezinski and Kissinger would have had a hard time and the world is in much worse shape today, this is a huge mistake.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He has looked very uncomfortable as Secretary of State. Since he lacks experience it would be difficult enough in a normal administration but in this one it's impossible.

Brzezinski and Kissinger would have had a hard time and the world is in much worse shape today, this is a huge mistake.
Maybe we're finally learning that the work that professional government employees/politicians do isn't so easily replicated. It's almost as if you have to be an expert in these areas to excel. Like, you know, with anything else.

Tillerson may have been a great and successful oil CEO, but that doesn't mean he'd be good at something else, such as being the secretary of state for the US. And honestly, we shouldn't expect him to have been immediately good at it - talk about an impossible expectation.

Why voters (and by extension, our Congress, which approved his appointment) seem to think that just about anyone can do these things is beyond me.

I know why people think this ("government employees are lazy know-nothings - if only they operated like the private sector!!", walks down to City Hall, thinks to self "I could do this work - it's just pushing paper around!", etc.) - but it's a naive thing to believe.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Clearly, that Exxon-Mobile deal with Russia is not happening. Treasury just slapped Exxon-Mobil with the maximum allowable fine, $2 million, for doing business with Russia in violation of the U.S. sanctions and those don't appear to be going away any time soon.

We are in the unique position of having a Secretary of State who was guilty of violating federal law while he was CEO of Exxon-Mobil.

Tillerson does not seem to be in Trump's inner circle and is left hanging on matters like the Travel Ban. He has to assure nations that Trump didn't really mean what he said this that or the other. There will not be military operations in Mexico. We will not be taking oil from countries we invade. And so on.

Plus, he was the only witness to a lengthy meeting with Putin as well the meeting with the Russian spies and he seems mighty reluctant to talk about them.

State Dept. is being gutted. All sorts of positions sit empty, ambassadors and so forth. It can't be easy to be the one at the helm while the U.S. diplomatic mission is in disarray.

Tillerson may be an oil man, but he's got his pride.

Also, there is a fair chance he is now aware of some of Trump's shenanigans with the Russians which puts him in a somewhat precarious position.
can i just pretend i wrote that and steal credit..

From the beginning i felt Tillerson was there primarily to ensure the exxon oil deal went through and sanctions were lifted.

I also get the feeling that Tillerson has no real idea what his job is and he lacks the public communication skills or at least the desire to communicate with the public . Reportedly Tillerson does not "fit" in the state dept, he does not fit in the public sector and the sheer volume of expertise that was fired or pushed out means there are not enough veterans left to provide the support a new and relatively inexperienced leader would need.

and frankly Trump has shown himself to be very disloyal, dangerous and very quick to blame others. From the start Trump has attacked anyone and everyone around him. Tillerson has yet to completely destroy his reputation, if he exits now he can say he was put in an impossible position and did the right thing... Exxon surely have a seat kept warm for him.

One has only to look at what Trump is doing to Sessions to figure out Tillerson and other might be getting ready to exit stage left.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
I read rumors that he was very upset with Trump's performance at the jamboree last night. Apparently he was an Eagle Scout and had addressed the scouts a few days before, apparently without making references to cocaine-fueled orgies on yachts.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
can i just pretend i wrote that and steal credit..

From the beginning i felt Tillerson was there primarily to ensure the exxon oil deal went through and sanctions were lifted.

I also get the feeling that Tillerson has no real idea what his job is and he lacks the public communication skills or at least the desire to communicate with the public . Reportedly Tillerson does not "fit" in the state dept, he does not fit in the public sector and the sheer volume of expertise that was fired or pushed out means there are not enough veterans left to provide the support a new and relatively inexperienced leader would need.

and frankly Trump has shown himself to be very disloyal, dangerous and very quick to blame others. From the start Trump has attacked anyone and everyone around him. Tillerson has yet to completely destroy his reputation, if he exits now he can say he was put in an impossible position and did the right thing... Exxon surely have a seat kept warm for him.

One has only to look at what Trump is doing to Sessions to figure out Tillerson and other might be getting ready to exit stage left.
He retired from Exxon this year. He was planning a comfortable retirement with his wife, but put it aside when called to help his country. Too bad his boss is such a loser.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Tillerson leaving state?

Very interesting, but not at all surprising.

One of the sure signs of political implosion is when top inner circle people start leaving.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies