Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
personally i dont mind talking politics, heck i am here arguing with a lot of people over politics. but there are times when the politics needs to go away. you dont anger your fan base by getting political for a sport. how many people have argued in the past when something contentious about sports came up and they would say, "but its only a sport", and now are pushing the, "but they have a right to peacefully protest in any manner they see fit", mantra for sports players?
I agree but when it is a football story, it has to be in football talk. Fact, despite the play quality, this was THE football story so NFL Network has looked more like CNN since Sunday. Trump sucked the talk from the play or lack of play the relative non-issue. They're was more talk in the pre-season of kneeled than there was until Trump used his big fingers on the Twitter Machine.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:06 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The confederate flag isn't my flag, so it's none of my concern. Call it cognitive dissonance, but many Southerners have reverence for both flags. I understand them, which is why I'm not in favor of forcing them to choose between the two. It's not a choice that they have to make. The people who want to make it an issue are the same ones pushing an anti-American agenda. That's the bottom line here.
So - the flag flown by those who actually shot at soldiers flying the Stars and Stripes is OK. Got it.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If they feel that strongly about it they can go to the African country of their choice.

America, love it or leave it.
Nope

Old 09-27-2017, 11:09 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The NFL does have a rule that says they are supposed to be present on the field, standing, facing the flag, helmet in left hand, and I think with their right hand over their heart. I could be wrong about the last part.
I believe someone listed it here in this thread.
Yep. Posted countless times.

"no such wording appears in the 2017 version of the Official Playing Rules of the National Football League (which the NFL also sometimes refers to as an “operations manual”): Pages 62 and 63 contain only regulations about the enforcement of fouls committed on the field during gameplay, and nowhere else does that document specify anything about the either the playing of the national anthem prior to games or the required behavior of players and team personnel during that ceremony. In fact, the rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem at all."

There is a "separate game operations manual distributed to all the teams, and it is that document, not the rulebook, which supposedly includes the wording in question regarding player conduct during the national anthem."

Snopes has "not yet been able to independently confirm the existence and wording of this second document (the NFL has not responded to our query), but the proffered wording — which league spokesman Brian McCarthy described as a “policy” rather than a “rule” — states that players must “be” on the sideline for the national anthem, not that they must “stand” on the sideline."

Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem?

So just to be clear:

NFL Official Playing Rules says nothing about the national anthem.

The oft-quoted anthem business on page 62 and 63 of the NFL Rule Book is just bogus BS. Those pages cover enforcement of fouls on the field during gameplay.

There is a "games operations manual" which reportedly outlines policy about standing on the sidelines, etc.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:11 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
From what I can tell, there was a tweet from the Randolph Family account that was a lie.

This has been reposted and retweeted countless times.

It is still a lie.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:16 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
I just saw Captain Bonespurs just had another rambling Twitter rant about the NFL protests?

Good grief.

Wonder if he'll speak out against his trashy supporters who wear flag shirts, bikinis, bandanas, beer cans, etc.

Nah, of course not. The snowflakes are already crying because their football watching safe space has been violated.

We already know they're the biggest hypocrites around, anyways.

And for everyone who says these athletes need to make financial contributions and make a positive impact in inner cities and local communities, please stop posting your ignorance.

And for everyone who thinks these athletes are anti-cop, please stop posting your ignorance.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
my biggest problem is with injecting politics into sports, that has been going on for too long now and it needs to stop. most people when they turn on a sports program dont want the players to bring their politics to the field.

it would be like you going to work and constantly spouting off your political views. do you think your coworkers and bosses would tolerate you doing that for very long?
The NFL and US Gov't made a conscience decision to inject politics into sports around 2009, when we started getting into Paid Patriotism with the NFL. This was not a decision at the player level.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:22 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
If they feel that strongly about it they can go to the African country of their choice.

America, love it or leave it.
Triggered much? I will remember this.

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Quote:
If they feel that strongly about it they can go to the African country of their
Well if they do that, they are guaranteed to never have all those problems they have with white people holding them down.

404 posts, read 193,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Arent you the same guy who said Jemele Hill can say what she wants...we can choose to ignore her? I'm confused now..it works one way and not the other for you?

Not condoning anything, just wondering,.....
Therein lies the crux of our current problems : double standards practiced by some which just happen to be egregious to most other people. Where were these complaints and protests before now?. Something is really fishy about this season of "justice seeking" almost like some of the protesters, well paid already, might have been induced to take a knee but on all accounts keep their mouths shut. As they might stray off the prescribed liberal narrative and say something stupid. So, in effect not a word out of the players. These same individuals, hardly camera shy for sure, ordinarily would be chomping at the bit to make comments or give interviews about what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies