Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times

Advertisements

There was a time when presidents stayed out of matters like this. Obama began it by commenting on things right away, like when that professor friend of his was arrested for resisting a police officer somewhere. Now, we have another president who jumps right. In the interest of consistency, I still believe the president should stay out of these matters. It's not his job to be involved in private business or state affairs unless it involves the breaking of federal law.

As for Rush, I was listening to him yesterday when he made those comments, and today when he tried to clarify them. I couldn't pay complete attention so I may have missed something, but I think his clarification was splitting hairs. He doesn't want any president getting involved in these things, and I agree. But I also think Rush doesn't want to be seen as criticizing Trump, hence the splitting hairs explanation on today's show.

I do leave open the possibility that my assessment is wrong, though.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Trump wanted the players to stand and did his usual Trump-stuff to get the NFL to force their hand and make the players stand.

And we are getting closer to that reality.

Trump just doing his usual routine.
There was a column by Judge Andrew Napolitano where he wrote that in his opinion an employer may not make an employee stand for the National Anthem.

Is Taking a Knee Protected Speech? - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
There was a column by Judge Andrew Napolitano where he wrote that in his opinion an employer may not make an employee stand for the National Anthem.

Is Taking a Knee Protected Speech? - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
*shrug*

I don't interpret fiction. And Napolitano is going back to his statist ways. He had been moving steadily toward anarchy. Sad to see.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Anyone know if trump even watches Football? Would love to see him show up at a NFL game now, not sure it would work out well for him.
Why wouldn't it work out for him?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
I seriously wonder why Trump can't focus on more important things than the NFL. Is Trump a simpleton or what? Never seen a President so un presidential.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
its upside down Day, when I agree with Rush

Rush Limbaugh alarmed by Trump's 'dictatorial' behavior toward NFL

Now let the trump supporters trash rush in 3,2 1....
The bottom line is it's up to the owners to decide how to they want their employees to represent them while on the field. I have no problem with the owners stating that that players must stand during the anthem or sit during the game, or that the players can do as they wish. Again, up to the owners.

Trump has better things to do than engage in this type of nonsense. If enough viewers want the players to stand, they will stand.

I still support Trump.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
its upside down Day, when I agree with Rush

Rush Limbaugh alarmed by Trump's 'dictatorial' behavior toward NFL

Now let the trump supporters trash rush in 3,2 1....
It's good to know you're listening/reading Rush Limbaugh!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL hopefull someone does.
1. starts in 2018 fall and not before.
2. pack only not at troop level
3. Packs have a choice of remaining boy only
4. If the pack does choose to incorporate girls, the Den level will remain single gender.

There you go.
I got the letter in my email from our council:

Quote:

Recently, the BSA's Board of Directors unanimously approved welcoming girls into our iconic Cub Scout program and delivering a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout. This decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls. The BSA evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders - as well as parents and girls who've never been involved in Scouting - to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.

Starting in the 2018 program year, families can choose to sign up their sons and daughters for Cub Scouts. Existing packs may choose to establish a new girl pack, establish a pack that consists of girl dens and boy dens or remain an all-boy pack. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender - all boys or all girls. Using the same curriculum as the Boy Scouts program, the organization will also deliver a program for older girls, which will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019, that will enable them to earn the Eagle Scout rank. This unique approach allows us to maintain the integrity of the single-gender model while also meeting the needs of today's families.

This decision expands the programs that the Boy Scouts of America offers for both boys and girls. Although known for our iconic programs for boys, the BSA has offered co-ed programs since 1971 through Exploring and the Venturing program, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2018. The STEM Scout pilot program is also available for both boys and girls.

The links below are to BSA's announcement and additional information regarding Family Scouting.

http://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/pres...k-eagle-scout/

Family Scouting - Scouting Newsroom

The Sam Houston Area Council will now begin to develop plans on how to implement these decisions as they become effective in 2018 and 2019. We will keep our stakeholder groups informed using various platforms.

As we develop these plans to pursue new opportunities to better serve families, we acknowledge the value of the programs of Girl Scouts of the USA respecting their importance in meeting the needs of girls and that our programs can be complimentary in meeting the needs of families with girls.

We are proud of the healthy relationship our Sam Houston Area Council has with our sister organization, the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council. We have had ongoing discussions with the executive leadership of the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council. The leadership of our two organizations are in dialogue on how we can direct each of our resources and proven programs to meet the needs of youth and families in the communities we serve.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I seriously wonder why Trump can't focus on more important things than the NFL. Is Trump a simpleton or what? Never seen a President so un presidential.
Because North Korea is hard. Tax reform is hard. Healthcare reform is hard.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
BING - F@#% - GO!

No one is thinking about what this fool in HW does allows all others after him to follow suit. I like a happy median, checks and balances. When things are too one sided, today may be a good day but tomorrow can bring on problems we wished we didn't have. This fool in the WH is the one threatening our Constitution with this kind of talk. More people should be up in arms over even the thought of it. Other conservatives were speaking about it last evening and I couldn't help but laugh at them as this is who they all wanted in the WH. Again out of the 16 something (R) who ran for office this shape-shifter being the one who came out on top is still beyond me.
I agree with you there. Out of 16 and this is what they went with, wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies