Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
But people demanding "safe spaces" in schools are not. They are the tolerant and considerate model that all citizens should strive for?

Back to the subject:
Players are being paid millions to provide entertainment. Specifically, play football before a paying audience.

If they start doing something that turns off the paying customers and revenues start falling, their employers have every right to tell them to stop, and back up their statements with everything from fines to suspensions to even firing.

And if they don't like it, they can go form their own football league where kneeling during the National Anthem is normal and encouraged. And see if they can still pay the huge salaries they currently enjoy.
Then it's up to the employers to try and negotiate contracts with "stand for the anthem" clauses. Until then, these adult, professional men may decide for themselves what to do during the national anthem.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
I wish someone would explain how a player kneeling during the national anthem interferes with their enjoyment of the game. If it bothers you, can't you just not watch it?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thank you. These whiny snowflakes don't have anything better to do. I have never seen a bigger bunch of weenies in my life. "Boo hoo hoo. He's kneeling and it hurts my feelings! Now I don't wanna watch football."

You guys know that a former Green Beret gave Kaepernick the idea to kneel, right?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...protest-kneel/
They are snowflakes for raising such a stink over what started out being only six guys kneeling that hardly got noticed until our drama queen president just had to pick on to get the whole nation bickering back and forth about. In the meantime, we have serious and dangerous situations that he all but ignores---fires, hurricane recovery efforts, crumbling infrastructure, etc.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They are snowflakes for raising such a stink over what started out being only six guys kneeling that hardly got noticed until our drama queen president just had to pick on to get the whole nation bickering back and forth about. In the meantime, we have serious and dangerous situations that he all but ignores---fires, hurricane recovery efforts, crumbling infrastructure, etc.
I know.

A rich politician screaming at a bunch of rich athletes.

Were it not happening, we would have to invent it.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Here is my solution:

1. Any player who wishes to remain in the locker room during the playing of the National Anthem, as a form of protest, or any other reason, is welcome to do so.

2. Any player who chooses to be on the field, ice, court, bench during the playing of the National Anthem will be required to stand.

3. Violation of these rules will result in a team penalty.

So, feel free to protest but do not expect paying customers, teams and sponsors to subsidize you.

Your cause on your time and your dime.
4. Quit playing the stupid anthem before games.

5. If stupid anthem is required to be played, ALL athletes will be required to remain in their respective locker rooms until completion of anthem.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
Those bigoted misandrists! I think some motivated SJWs should go melt all over them.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So forced patriotism is your solution. I thought Conservatives loved the constitution?
why are you the one thinking this is a government thing? why are you not reading the constitution for yourself and understanding it for yourself? yes we do love the constitution, but this is not about anything government related, and the constitution only limits what the government can do, not what private employers can do.

can a player protest? yes they can, can the team owner or the NFL commissioner punish the lpayer for that protest? YES THEY CAN.

again i remind you that with rights come responsibilities, and that freedom of speech does not include freedom from consequences.

for instance, lets say i owned a business, and i hired you as an employee and gave you a set of rules regarding your conduct while you were at work, including no protesting at work, and you violated that set of rules, i have the right to discipline you as i see fit, including firing you. the nfl is no different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
How about a national program to improve police professionalism, reduce unnecessary use of force, and build trust again between the people and the police who protect them.

That is what this whole thing is about anyway.
and i agree, police do often need refresher courses ont hese things, but dont forget that often time the criminals drive the issue, not the cops. cops generally only escalate when the criminals do.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:52 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Good, go ahead and quit you vapid moron

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rishard...200132722.html

Old 10-13-2017, 01:52 PM

30,659 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Why? Because the league hurt your feelings?
Because the league condones and praises disrespect for a flag and the country it symbolizes that I fight for every day and for that many have given the ultimate sacrifice for.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:53 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,594,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Because the league condones and praises disrespect for a flag and the country it symbolizes that I fight for every day and for that many have given the ultimate sacrifice for.
How does kneeling in front of a flag disrespect your country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies